OSX Lion on Dell Optiplex 760

PippoX0

77 posts in this topic

Did you have install Mac OS X Lion.app from the Mac App Store or you have only InstallESD.dmg ?

Because from Snow Leopard might be another way to create USB volumes. I would not want to interfere in Pippox0 Tutorial

Edited by chris1111

4 hours ago, PippoX0 said:

Hi Chris, you are welcome ! Share your hint ...

sent from my iPhone

ok but depends what is the installer the user have for create usb drive ?

a .dmg or .app

On 12/3/2018 at 1:42 AM, PippoX0 said:

Hi,

use this DPCImanager for SL

DPCIManager_SL.app.zip

Internal intel Max 4500 Video card is NOT compatible with OSX ( no kext)

VoodooHDA kext is on my first post !

Pippo....Sorry been away for a few days with work and family issues.  

I have downloaded the file attached - will see how that one goes.  

I dug out an old OPTIPLEX 755 that I had - had scavenged the RAM from it - but put 4GB in it from the OP760 and install SL on it last night.  It is working too.  I cannot figure out why I have the following issues on these machines:

1)  If install the APPLE UPDATES from the UPDATES portion of the OS - everything goes haywire.  APP STORE stops working, SAFARI stops working, etc.  Even using the bootloader DVD I have to RESTORE PERMISSIONS - nothing works.  

2)  If Install the 10.6.7 Combo Update (I downloaded from Apple) - and restore permissions --  APP STORE and SAFARI continue to work - but have no images (pictures in them)...so I installed CHROME (last version supported in 10.6.x)  and it works.  But the APP STORE still will not let me make a purchase or see my previous purchases.  

3)  If the machine goes to SLEEP (all of this is still SL) - and that is a BIG IF - I cannot wake it up   I have to hold power button and force DOWN and then reboot.  Screen Saver (Flurry) is at least working now for about 15 mins and then just freezes.   LOL  - not too worried about this.  

4)  I really just want to get LION or MOUNTAIN LION installed on this OP760 and where everything is working.  It has a built in speaker, but from all that I have read - no-one has that working.  It works in Windows, if you install the MS DIGITAL OUTPUT patch.  (I know.. I know... I said winderz).  

I will let you know what the DPCI did.

Thanks,

CNorris

On 12/3/2018 at 9:34 PM, chris1111 said:

ok but depends what is the installer the user have for create usb drive ?

a .dmg or .app

Chris,

It was at one time the .APP from APPLE STORE.  I had used that couple to three years back when I was building some VMs for ESXi to get the .DMG file so that I could burn to DVD and make an .ISO from that.  I know..  HOOPS, HURDLES and TIGHT ROPE walking.  But I got it done.  

I believe the original .APP file I had downloaded is long since gone.  So I used the .DMG file I still had on my NAS.  That is the file that I have been using all along.  

On Sunday night when I was playing with this again --  I was getting prompted for my password every time I would write a file to the LION.DMG  (using Pippo's steps) file.  I had already created the new image file as per his steps at 4.6GB CD/DVD GUID.  Still not sure I am choosing the RIGHT SETTINGS for creating the BLANK DISK IMAGE (LION.DMG) that is used for the initial restore of BaseImage step.   (see image)

I had pulled the BaseImage out of the .DMG I have for LION and RESTORED this to the LION.DMG file.  This all went through with no problems.  I was able to DELETE the PACKAGES link and copy of the folder from the ORIGINAL  .DMG file as per his instructions.  

It was when I started adding the files to the LION.DMG where I was getting prompted for a PW each time.  

I finally made it to the part where Extra_Lion.pkg and the Chameleon.pkg were installed TO THE LION.DMG file ( in prep for making the USB).  I formatted the 16GB USB as instructed, dragged to the RESTORE window in DISK UTIL, and LION.DMG file I had worked on.   NEVER does the REPAIR PERMISSIONS link ever become accessing on any of these files that I have been creating.  So I use the REPAIR DISK option on the right-hand side.

This new message I am getting I am attaching to this message.  I went to IMAGES MENU and did the CHECK FOR RESTORE OPTION and it fails out.  

This is why I wanted to buy LION again so that I have a brand new file.  So that I can rule out the file as the issue, and not my stupidity.  

I did successfully build one of the HACKINTOSH machines on an old IBM T61 many years ago.  It worked fully (except the LID CLOSE SLEEP) - and even Updated from SL to LION using the Apple Updater.  

Many Thanks,

CNorris

20181203_081924.jpg

20181203_081952.jpg

20181201_185407.jpg

On 12/3/2018 at 1:42 AM, PippoX0 said:

Hi,

use this DPCImanager for SL

DPCIManager_SL.app.zip

Internal intel Max 4500 Video card is NOT compatible with OSX ( no kext)

VoodooHDA kext is on my first post !

Pippo and Chris,

Attaching a .PDF file of the results from running the DPCI Manager on the OP760 running 10.6.7.

Thanks,

CNorris

DPCIManager_OP760_SL10.6.7.pdf

Prépare your Install Mac OS X Lion.app

tonight when I get back home I will send you a complete programme to Create a usb inside Snow leopard.  Clover Will be included

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

Prépare your Install Mac OS X Lion.app

tonight when I get back home I will send you a complete programme to Create a usb inside Snow leopard.  Clover Will be included

Chris,

Not sure I am doing this correctly....will the .DMG that I have work?  It is 10.7.5 (as I had it named).  When I mount it, I do see a LION INSTALLATION APP.  

I right click on it and choose VIEW CONTENTS.  That is when I am able to pull the other files out.  The first Installxxxxx.dmg and then MOUNT that one, and I can pull the BaseSystem.dmg out of there - after enabling the VIEW HIDDEN FILES with Terminal.

That is the file I have been using through all of this.  

I appreciate anything you (or Pippo) can do to help me get this working.  

Do you know - will I then (if I buy ML or even M, EC or S)  - be able to upgrade it?

CNorris

20 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

Copy lion instalation.app on Desktop 

show packages content /SharedSupport 

Do you have InstallESD.dmg ? 

Chris...

YES.  I begin with the .DMG that I pulled out when I bought it 2+ years ago.  

I copy to the desktop from my EXT HDD.  I then MOUNT IT.  I have an InstallESD.dmg.  

I mount that (UNHIDE FILES) to find the BaseSystem.dmg.  I pull that to the desktop, and MOUNT IT.  Then I RESTORE that file to the LION.DMG (as named by Pippo's instructions) that I created the BLANK R/W file at 4.6 GB CD/DVD and GUID HFS+.

That is the file where I do all my work.  Delete the PACKAGES link and copy that folder from the First InstallESD.dmg file.  

Then I put all the KEXTs as per Pippo's instructions (except the MBR ones - was told I did not need those with a GUID formatted HDD).  

Then I install the Extra_Lion.pkg to the LION.DMG file (I see the new EXTRAS folder).  Then I run the CHAMELEON file and I see a boot file show up (greyed - so I know it is hidden).  Then I follow the rest of the steps...but I never get the REPAIR PERMISSIONS options.  They are always greyed out.  

CNorris

8 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

Ok prepare a USB drive 8 gig and follow my instructions 

tonyght I Will post here

you need installer lion.app and 8 gig USB 

Posting some pics I just took in the order of how I am getting my files.  Let's hope they all fit.

20181206_172637.jpg

20181206_172714.jpg

20181206_172855.jpg

20181206_173008.jpg

20181206_173037.jpg

20181206_173112.jpg

39 minutes ago, chris1111 said:

Ok prepare a USB drive 8 gig and follow my instructions 

tonyght I Will post here

you need installer lion.app and 8 gig USB 

Chris,

I really appreciate your help.  Does it have to be 8GB?  All I have a 16, 32 and 64GB Jump Drives.

CNorris

15 hours ago, bearhntr28 said:

Chris,

I really appreciate your help.  Does it have to be 8GB?  All I have a 16, 32 and 64GB Jump Drives.

CNorris

You need minimum 8 gig usb 

16 is correct so

Formate USB as macOS Extend journaled / GUID partition Table

Mount InstallESD.dmg and run Lion Installer.pkg then select USB drive

install.thumb.png.8dc855735d9fb52df8961a78367e352f.png

This is the complet content of USB when is finish

usb.png.50eb06ac785203c0176c9a9bdd4cbb3a.png

Run →  Enoch Bootloader as Standard installation

Option is not important because you have to replace Extra Folder by the one attaching here

Select F12 / Boot to USB that's it

Hope that help

PS: Enoch Chameleon is better for your hardware

Extra.zip

Lion Installer.zip

EDIT **** 

If Enoch failed cause of compatibility with Snow Leopard

use Chameleon-2.2svn-r2404.pkg attaching here

Like this, change location, select USB

Untitled.png.6074b04127bcb6fe0be60645c4588ce7.png

and Put Extra Folder attaching

1346256468_Untitled.png.d8616a3c19f3ce0ef225a93990d260fc.png

Now you have to replace boot file by the one attaching

106716137_replaceboot.png.e48d88621c225ee7660dc45884c909fd.png

I just test on my Optiplex 790 and its boot perfectly

Good luck

If everythings is ok for post install do it same thing on HD for make it boot without USB

boot.zip

Chameleon-2.2svn-r2404.pkg.zip

Edited by chris1111
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, chris1111 said:

PUTTING MY COMMENTS/QUESTIONS IN BLUE (removing the pictures)

You need minimum 8 gig usb 

16 is correct so

Formate USB as macOS Extend journaled / GUID partition Table

Mount InstallESD.dmg and run Lion Installer.pkg then select USB drive

This is the complet content of USB when is finish

OK...I think I did this step right.  I ran the LION INSTALLER and pointed it to the newly formatted 16GB USB (I named it  LION_BOOT_USB)  - took about 20 mins, but I got a SUCCESSFUL message at the end.

Run →  Enoch Bootloader as Standard installation

When I run this - am I pointing it back to the LION_BOOT_USB  ?? 

Option is not important because you have to replace Extra Folder by the one attaching here

Once I run the ENOCH BOOTLOADER - I extract the EXTRA.ZIP file and place that folder in the ROOT of the LION_BOOT_USB?   

Select F12 / Boot to USB that's it

Hope that help

PS: Enoch Chameleon is better for your hardware  

EDIT **** 

If Enoch failed cause of compatibility with Snow Leopard

use Chameleon-2.2svn-r2404.pkg attaching here

Like this, change location, select USB

and Put Extra Folder attaching

Now you have to replace boot file by the one attaching

I just test on my Optiplex 790 and its boot perfectly

Good luck

If everythings is ok for post install do it same thing on HD for make it boot without USB

boot.zip

Chameleon-2.2svn-r2404.pkg.zip

See my QUESTIONS / COMMENTS above in BLUE  -

I have all the files now --  I will report back as to how I fare.  

At what point in this (even with your edits below) am I going to be installing to the HDD?   So far this looks as to be building a bootable LION USB.  

Many Thanks,

CNorris

Chris1111,

UPDATE:  OK.  Followed your instructions - here is what I did.

1)  Mounted the InstallESD.dmg file as instructed (the one I extracted from my file where I was pulling the BaseSystem.dmg file from).

2)  Ran your Lion Installer file, and chose the newly formatted USB drive as the destination.  Took about 20 mins to run the installation, but it ended with SUCCESSFULLY INSTALLED message.

3)  I then ran the ENOCH installer - it failed with some weird message - like you thought.  

4)  Ran the Chameleon installer - it was successful ( will attach the log file below it created )  -  it looks to have adjusted the boot partition for my SL installation on the HDD as well - as now that is not booting without the iBo*** DVD in the drive.    I did not get this menu:

Untitled.png.6074b04127bcb6fe0be60645c4588ce7.png

5)  PROCEEDED with your other steps.  Copied the EXTRA FOLDER over to the USB.  

6)  Copied the boot  file over to the USB.

7)  SHUT DOWN.  

8)  Powered on - pressed <F12> to boot options and booted from USB.  * Also getting BIOS reset warnings every time I boot.  This I think can be easily fixed.  

9)  It appears to be booting from USB - light is flashing on it.  I then get a slight flash of text (2 lines) at the top of the page, then about 4 pages of scrolling text (light on USB still flashing).  

10)  After about a 2 min pause - I get a WHITE SCREEN with Spinning rainbow beach ball.  This stays on the screen (mouse does move it around) for about 4 mins - then disappears.  I am left with a solid white screen.  No mouse pointer - nothing but white.  Has been sitting like that about 20 mins now.  

I am sure I did something wrong.  

Do you think it could be the GeForce GT430 video card?  Would this ever work with the Built-In Video - or should I look for another card?  Suggestions?

***  We are making progress  :thumbsup_anim:

CNorris

Chameleon_Installer_Log.txt

Edited by bearhntr28
attaching file

1 hour ago, chris1111 said:

At Chameleon Boot screen type Keyboard Space 

on the grey bar type GraphicsEnabler=No

then type Enter to Boot

Chris,

No luck.  I tried both  GraphicsEnabler=No and =Yes    both stop with the same White screen and spinning rainbow ball.

I am still able to boot to the SL installation on the HDD - but now it stops on a boot screen with the installation listed and I have to press Enter to continue - but, it does boot all the way to the installation. 

Should I re-build the LION USB and perhaps try something else?  

When I boot from the USB it does stop showing both the LION_BOOT_USB and the SNOW_LEOPARD as choices.  

CNorris

4 hours ago, chris1111 said:

Type 

-f -x

respecte the Space 

Chris,

No Go.

-f -x      same WHITE SCREEN with Rainbow ball

- f -x GraphicsEnabler=Yes     same WHITE SCREEN with Rainbow ball

- f -x GraphicsEnabler=No     same WHITE SCREEN with Rainbow ball

I can see that it IS booting off the USB - as the light is flashing on it (I used this USB for that reason - has a light indicating activity).  

I am stumped.

CNorris

Strange its work here

Witch FakeSMC version in Extra/Extensions?

EDIT ** This is the version  4.2.0  the exacte one I try and work, same Extra Folder

Try this boot args

PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No

Edited by chris1111

Chris,

OK -  I rebuilt the USB drive again late last night.  I am attaching the EXTRA folder from this rebuild.  

It should be the same as the one you gave me, as I run the CHAMELEON pkg file (figured out how to get the screen to match yours - using the CUSTOMIZE button).  After I have run that and installed to the USB - I copied over the EXTRA folder (unzipped of course) to the USB.  Then I copied over the BOOT file.  I get a warning that one already exists - so I tell it to replace the file.  

I boot from the USB using the <F12> option, and still when the machine boots I get an error about BIOS Settings - and when I look in the BIOS logs there is a BIOS CHECKSUM error.  I am able to get past this.  and booting continues from the USB.  I get a greyish screen with a solid dark grey apple, then the apple changes to one which is more white (3-D style) - about 30 seconds later the screen goes WHITE with rotating rainbow ball cursor (which moves with the mouse).  This stays for about 2 minutes, then goes away leaving only a white screen.  No mouse, nothing at all.

From the attached Chameleon installer log file -- these lines stand out to me:

Clearing options...
======================================================
Running Standard postinstall script
Target volume = /Volumes/LION_BOOT_USB on /dev/disk1s2
Target disk already has existing Chameleon stage 0 loader - boot0

Stage 0 loader not written to /dev/disk1.
Written boot1h to /dev/rdisk1s2.
Written boot to /Volumes/LION_BOOT_USB on /dev/disk1s2.

Preparing to check target disk for previous installations.
Going to check the EFI system partition also.
Mounting /dev/disk1s1 as /Volumes/EFI.
Checking disk1.
Nothing found that could cause any problems.

Says that something was not written to disk.  

If there is anything else that you need, let me know.  

It seems that every time I build this USB drive...it breaks the SL installed on the HDD and does something to the CMOS on the system where I have to RESET the TIME (changes it by 7 hours into the future) and also makes other changes (like turning on LPT port and SERIAL port -- which I keep disabled), also enables the MBeK settings again and writes a warning to the LOGS about a CMOS CHECKSUM error.  Also changes the BOOT ORDER to  CD  >>  HDD  >>  USB    from where I had to set to  USB  >>  HDD  >>  CD.

CNorris

Chameleon_Installer_Log.txt

Extra_Curtis.zip