got EP45-DS3L almost fully working!

itorra

11 posts in this topic

Well, first things first.

BLACKOSX thank you for everything you've done for us.

Now, this is how i got my system working,

1. follow mald0n guide to install Lion. DO A FRESH INSTALL.

*I had a Time Machine Backup and restored it on Lion Welcome Screen.

*used Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r1083

2. Audio: follow blackosx 10.6.8 instruction, it's the same.

3. Video and network: used dsdt from latest blackosx support files.

4. used from previous SL installation (from CHAM partition): SMBIOS, Boot.plist, IONetworkingFamily.

5. patch CMOS reset (search for it on forum)

problems:

1. don't know where the problem is but it started only since lion is up. I loss connection to DNS server. I can't use web or mail client but meantime bittorrent is working well. have to reset my router to fix it.

2. computer is not waking up from sleep

3. no CPU, GPU temperature on istat menu.

Here I'm offering my help and asking for it for my unsolved issues

For temps, did you try the latest FakeSMC in Black's support files? For GPU temps I believe you need to install the kext in /S/L/E/ along with the appropriate plugins.

As for networking, do you have Lnx2Mac's driver installed? I believe it's recommended.

• 6 months later...

I had installed Lion to the OS partition with Kakewalk 4.0, it was simple, using a usb stick.

AFAIR, I think most things worked with Kakewalk, except sleep.

Anyway I wanted to have a Cham partition and a bona fide clean OS partition

I removed the boot file and the extras folder that Kakewalk installed.

I used Chameleon-2.1svn-r1505.pkg to install the boot loaders onto the Cham partition and simply added a few bits from the great Blackosx's support files - dsdt - FakeSMC - OrangeIconFix - org.chameleon.Boot.plist - SMBIOS. into the Extras folder

I have sleep function fully working.

I have never bothered with the onboard sound issues, I have a Focusrite firewire ext box and a usb dac on my other computer.

The only thing that dropped off was the ethernet card, but onboard ethernet worked straight off.

Just the other day I installed a realtek kext RealtekRTL81xx-0_0_90.pkg which did not make things better or worse. But if you have issues with ethernet, it claims to cure.

At present i am on 10.7.1. I haven't bothered upgrading. I think this set up will last out the Lion era comfortably. Blackosx's support for 10.5 and 10.6 has carried through on its own momentum to 10.7, without a hiccup.

hi geithals,

thx for your info,

i tried it exactly like you said

1) install on lion partition using kakewalk - worked perfect (i partitioned my drive like you, 1gb cham partition and the rest for lion)

2) boot up into lion through kakewalk installed bootloader (still on lion partition)

3) install chameleon svn2.1 rev1505 to cham partition - no problem

4) get blackosx support files 1.4.7 from here: http://www.insanelym...howtopic=180954

5) put the smbios.plist, dsdt.aml, org.chameleon.boot.plist from blackosx support files in the Extra Folder on the cham partition

6) create an "Extensions" folder in the Extra folder on the cham partition and put the fakesmc and orangeiconfix kexts in there

7) ticked all boxes in the energy save preference pane

8) deleted boot file and Extra Folder from Lion partition (its all on cham now)

9) reboot from the cham partition works perfect

now when i try to sleep,

it puts the machine to sleep but when i wake it up again,

it just boots (WITH CMOS RESET)

are the support files i am using correct?

i saw the arch=i386 flag in the chameleon.boot.plist -

is that correct youre using only 32bit mode?

dont you get a cmos reset?

what bios settings are you using? native mode on sata port 0-3 enabled or not?

i checked for AHCI mode and HPET = 64bit mainly,

i dont use onboard sound, too, thats why i disabled it, like ethernet, also disabled

i am using ud3l instead of ds3l, but its only material differences,

its practically the same mobo, blackosx said that before, they analyzed the dsdt.dsl to find out about that

any tricks left for me?

Hi Lars,

Well, Blackosx´s shoes are way too big for me :)

But he might say that it would help if you list your exact components.

Also, what is connected to your video card?

As I wrote, I had no issues.

Well I did have some issues with sata overcrowding and some sata disks did cause a problem with starting up, the bios would revert to default settings.

Maybe, you can disconnect any superfluos components other than what you really need.

Also, I updated Chameleon with Chameleon-2.1svn-r1713.pkg at a later stage

Native mode on sata port 0-3 enabled

I have 64 bit enabled

The standard org.chameleon.Boot.plist, is good for my video cards

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386</string>

<key>DropSSDT</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GeneratePStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GenerateCStates</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1024x768x32</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>3</string>

<key>ShowInfo</key>

<string>No</string>

<key>Theme</key>

<string>Default</string>

How did it go with just using Kakewalk? (there are updates since 4.0)

Was it more stable than what you have now?

There is no exact dsdt for your board on the kakewalk installation.

You could try a mix, install with Kakewalk and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], some people do that.

or before that you could use the dsdt from tonymacs site specific for you motherboard, there is one available there in the dsdt database and use that on the Cham partition

i got a gtx 275 and its working perfect with graphics enabler,

i already tried what you said,

only one sata drive with mac osx and mouse+keyboard (usb receiver) are connected to the mainboard

i tried different dsdts and bootloaders,

also the one from tonymacs db and 2 which i made myself with autopatcher / dsdtfixer

the system is more stable/faster with kakewalk, 4.1.1 installation was pretty easy,

download kakewalk - choose usb drive/ lion dmg/ mainboard and thats all - reboot - install lion - then reboot and there you are

i am messing around with that stuff for some days now, think i am fed up with it,

since my hdd is a velociraptor and i can go hibernate i will use that instead, needs 15seconds so boot up then, sometimes there are power failures in my house,

so maybe the best way for me ;)

i think i will wait a while and then get a fully compatible board and a i5 or something like that

and

by the way, you dont have 64bit, look in your system profiler

64bit kernel and extensions are not loaded, because your boot.plist loads arch=i386 which is in fact the 32bit kernel

i am wondering about that, since you use 64bit hpet and your sleep is working, whatever

thanks for your help ;)

Yeah, I know what you mean about just trying different things rather than a definite fix and reaching well past the 'charm' of experimentation.

Just to explain better about 32bit and 64bit and now that I remember better what I had tried

When I removed the i386 string in the boot plist, it booted fine in 64bit, but when I selected sleep, only the monitor would sleep, however it would wake up okay with a click of the mouse. Another issue were the fans, would go into a higher gear but there was basically no overall speed gain.

Extra noise but no real gain

In 32 bit, the sleep works 100%

I have the bios set at mutiples of x9, that gives me the highest processor setting without any increase in heat or fan speed, it gives a geekbench score of 5700

I can increase the processor to 2.7, a bit below the uppermost stable limit and get a geekbench score of 6400 with a nice overall increase in real speed. Then the fan increases into the same level experienced with 64 bit. So at least with 32 bit computing, i can get a speed gain corresponding to the fan noise gain.

I prefer to have a normal fan noise and have the processor set at 2.4

Okay Lars, I did a install on a scratch disk with Kakewalk 4.1.1 and upgraded it to 10.7.2.

No sleep function present. When I treid to put it to sleep, only the screen went blank and wouldn't unblank when trying to reawake it.

I had a peep at the cmos reset thread.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=253992

One main issue is the Apple rtc kext in s/l/e in Lion, the source of sleep issues.

One fix is to replace that with a rollback kext from Snow Leopard

or download this one

http://www.osx86.net/view/1294-applertc_for_lion.html

Then with the dsdt that is used in Kakewalk in extras, either you patch that or install Sleep Enabler kext in S/L/E

Repair permissions etc,

You should be able to put the computer to sleep and wake up normally and avoid the cmos reset hangover.

I presume if your patched DSDT already allows you to put it to sleep , you don't need to use Sleep Enabler.

Another way is to run a code in Terminal to patch the Lion AppleRTC kext.

Anyway the info is all in that thread.

hi geithals,

thanks for coming up with that again :)

i would appreciate if you could upload your Extra folder (with dsdt, boot.plist, smbios.plist, kexts inside)

and the two S/L/E kexts (sleep enabler and applertc)

i tried sleep enabler and patched as well as snow-leo-rolled-back applertc kext before

but that only solved the cmos reset issue, not the sleep problems

i am also interested in your bios settings,

maybe i just missed a tick, could you please post them (screenshots or text, anything is welcome :) )

right now i'm running in 64bit mode,

system is going to sleep in hibernate only, but often when i wake it up, which is pretty fast,

it corrupts my usb audio card (just some cheap behringer stuff), theres stuttering and strange noises,

like usb wakeup is incorrect

i would like to have real sleep working,

but i don't like to give up 64bit (especially because i thought about getting more than 4gigs of RAM)

on the other hand, i found this one: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/2678

which says, lion is not as stable as SL and 64bit needs much more RAM as 32bit, but is only slightly faster then ...

they also found out about worse performance of Final Cut Pro in Lion (especially in 64bit), don't know if its just related to Final Cut

because i feel my SnowLeopard was more stable and as fast as my Lion

i also think about reverting back to snow leopard

and wait until apple brings out a really new OS and not that VISTA-like {censored} packed with bugs and some beauty stuff

heard about many people even having problems with sleep in lion on normal macbooks (2008-2011)

i think i will try it again soon and report back here then,

hope to get some files from you ;)

lars

Lars, I have nothing to upload that is different from what is available on Blackosx support files and Kakewalk.

As I wrote, I couldn't get sleep function with 64bit boot with Vanilla, a la Blackosx.

With my Vanilla set up, I have HPET 64 enabled, but boot into 32bit.

Other settings in BIOS are same for both set ups, as per Blackosx support files.

Unrelated, now I have decided to overclock and have Q8200 running at 2.8 - at 3.0 the BIOS freaks out and orders me to try again:)

Q6600 is more flexible and I have that at 3.2, purring nicely. Previous hyper fan activity is no more.

I decided to emulate your issue on an unpartitioned scratch disk.

I could select the dsdt for my board through Kakewalk

I installed 10.7 by usb via Kakewalk 4.1.1

Started up into 10.7 and migrated everything from my 10.7.1 100% Vanilla OS install over to this Kakewalk install.

Upgraded that to 10.7.2 and before restarting- ran Kakewalk again - upgrade option.

Booted into 10.7.2 , booting in 64bit mode which is the default Kakewalk setting.

I haven't yet touched anything with what Kakewalk put into Extras and S/L/E is still a virgin.

I could not put it to sleep, well the monitor goes to sleep and won't wake up. Have to force a restart.

The bios did not need to be reset.

Installed Sleep Enabler into S/L/E

Rebooted, now I can put the computer to sleep and it wakes up, but froze at some stage during some function (maybe related, maybe not).

I restarted and was faced with the cmos bios reset.

Then I replaced the AppleRTC kext in S/L/E with the one I linked to in previous post.

Now I can put it to sleep and wake up normally, no CMOS reset.

The only change after that was to insert Orange kext into Extras.

That's exactly what I have done.

I have not experimented replacing Kakewalk dsdt with Blackosx dsdt, just to see what would happen.

Unrelated to your set up

I have lost my Netgear ethernet card with Kakewalk install and have to connect to onboard ethernet.

Adding AppleRTL8139Ethernet into S/L/E/ IONetworkingFamily.kext /contents/plugins, does not do anything.

However , that fix works on the Vanilla install (which uses Blackosx dsdt for this board).

Reducing vanilla status to 99.99%

I am not sure now which Chamelion bootloader I used with Blackosx vanilla install,

the boot file is 239kb.

I now suspect it came from Cham1200.

If you can send your computer to sleep, you don't need Sleep Enabler, it means your dsdt is already patched for that.

If the issue is restarting (after wake up from sleep) into CMOS reset, then the only fix I know that works, is replacing the AppleRTC kext with the one from the link I posted.

And (related or not) I don't do audio fixes.