Opinions on my build?

4 posts in this topic

For the most part, I have figured out everything that I am going to buy for my new hackintosh build. I want it to be as close to a mac as I can get it, while it still being lightning fast. So here are my components:

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD5-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBRL

GPU: EVGA 012-P3-1470-RX GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Power Supply: RAIDMAX RX-1200AE 1200W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power ...

Blu-Ray Drive: LG Black Super Multi SATA WH12LS30 LightScribe Support - OEM

SSD Boot Drive: OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Hard Drives: 3x SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive in RAID 5?

Memory Card Reader: not sure? I would prefer a USB 3.0 one that worked with OS X but I'm not really sure. Any suggestions?

Case: I was really hoping for a Mac Pro and do a case mod, but I'm afraid that my build will be pretty cramped in a mid-tower case.

If you guys see any compatibility issues please let me know. Thanks!

That looks like a great build! My only question is have you read the reviews of the GTX 470 you're buying?

It looks like its at the $150 price point for a reason...

Maybe you could get this mobo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...p;Tpk=z68x-ud3h

It would save you cash so you could buy a different (more reliable) Graphics Card.....for example the Radeon HD 6850 or 6870 or if your feeling ambitious the 6950

Here's my source for choosing a video card: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

(Click the Price Performance option near the top of the page)

hope this helped

Hey guys! Thanks for the great responses. After a little more reading about the GTX 470 I did realize this abundent issues with it running very warm so I decided to steer clear of that one. However, I am a video editor on Adobe products so the built in GPU Acceleration is an extremely big plus to me. Sadly it only works on Nvidia. So I've decided to bite the bullet and splurge for GTX 570 (after I save a little more money), because in the long run I believe it will be worth it. Unless there are any other comparable nvidia graphics cards.

Very good find on the motherboard though, Grady! Any ideas on why this one is so much cheaper? For the most part the look the same... :D

And to neil: Are you sure that it is way to much power? I'm going to have a cpu watercooler, overclock the i7, have a massive graphics card in there not to mention around 5 hard drives and one ssd. Plus whatever I add on in the future. I agree though, that 1200w is probably a little over kill so I might go with something around 1000 or 900 watts?

Thanks for the replies though