Mouse forward/back buttons

ZX81

10 posts in this topic

Guys and gals,

I am trying to get software to enable the forward/backward internet side buttons on my mouse to work; a logitech MX518 (wired)

I have tried the logitech desktop software (downloaded from apple)

and the SteerMouse 2.1 (downloaded from Apple OSX)

Both install, neither works. "Unable to load" error trying to launch from system preferences

I don't even know if you say use a logitech mouse on a reguar mac, can the software program these buttons to work in safari/firefox? Maybe a mod can answer?

If you can on a normal mac, would it be possible to port over to OSX?

If not, can you post and tell me why not, whats the issue (learning)?

thanks in advance, cheers

I'm not sure whether this will make it work or not. But you may try let the System Prefences runs with Rosetta when you need to adjust the settings. Remember that System Prefences doesn not run stablely under Rosetta, so don't forget to made it runs natively after you just adjusted the options for the SteerMouse.

I'm not sure whether this will make it work or not. But you may try let the System Prefences runs with Rosetta when you need to adjust the settings. Remember that System Prefences doesn not run stablely under Rosetta, so don't forget to made it runs natively after you just adjusted the options for the SteerMouse.

can you tell me how to do that please, thks

Even with the rosetta trick steerwheel and also usboverdrive won't work. The reason is simple, they are kernel extensions for the ppc kernel. They will never work on x86 systems without a recompile..:D

It's really the one big thing which makes me boot windows again after a while. I get frustrated by not having those back and forward mousebuttons.

Even with the rosetta trick steerwheel and also usboverdrive won't work. The reason is simple, they are kernel extensions for the ppc kernel. They will never work on x86 systems without a recompile..;)

It's really the one big thing which makes me boot windows again after a while. I get frustrated by not having those back and forward mousebuttons.

Ugh, this is a big deal for me too. Anyone working on this?

• 2 months later...

The developers of USB Overdrive and Steerwheel are planning to bring out Intel versions of their software. Lets hope it's soon.

In the meantime, I found this:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...050926195115726

Does anyone have a Mighty Mouse they can use to try this? The Intel builds of OSX may already have driver support for these so it might be possible to plug the mighty mouse in, then configure the buttons and then unplug it and use another mouse.

I can use the extra buttons on my logitech MX1000 with Expose, but nothing else, so the buttons are being recognised.

I'm waiting to see if microsoft or logitech will release an updated driver for x86, but meanwhile we are stuck with 3 buttons.

YES, forward and backward is not working, but NO, you can use all buttons :) Very handy, if you want to do

Exposé or the Desktop feature. also Dashboard does work. I am using 7 buttons of my Logitech without a

driver.

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?sh...c=3885&hl=mouse

The developers of USB Overdrive and Steerwheel are planning to bring out Intel versions of their software. Lets hope it's soon.

In the meantime, I found this:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...050926195115726

Does anyone have a Mighty Mouse they can use to try this? The Intel builds of OSX may already have driver support for these so it might be possible to plug the mighty mouse in, then configure the buttons and then unplug it and use another mouse.

I can use the extra buttons on my logitech MX1000 with Expose, but nothing else, so the buttons are being recognised.

Don't do it. I tried a few weeks ago. All it will do, is to replace

your working generic driver, and then you will have lots of fun

to fix it back by using your keyboard :):D

Don't do it. I tried a few weeks ago. All it will do, is to replace

your working generic driver, and then you will have lots of fun

to fix it back by using your keyboard :):D

I know the Mighty Mouse driver won't work as it's for PPC.

However, the newer builds of OSX Intel may have support for the Mighty mouse out of the box, so you may be able to plug it in, configure the buttons, and then replace the mouse with your own. So the com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist will be set up correctly. Take a look at the last comment of the mac os hints link I posted.

Alternatively, all we really need is a pre-configured com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist from someone able to configure a Mighty Mouse (on any machine)

Alternatively, all we really need is a pre-configured com.apple.symbolichotkeys.plist from someone able to configure a Mighty Mouse (on any machine)

that would be sooo nice :)

I know that many macians already use the ppc mightymouse driver to get more features. (While I wonder... how

to get more features on a mouse with one button :lol:)

But that would be a good solution, and I think it will work. So we don't need a driver, just something kinda

config file.