OSX in VM can only use one CPU core?

4 posts in this topic

Hi I just installed OSX 10.6.6 in VMWare 7.1.2, using a preinstalled VM image. My CPU is Core 2 Duo SU7300, and the host OS is Win 7 64. I used the EmpireEFI4AMD_nomaxmem.iso to boot, which was found in here:http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t258906.html

Now here is my problem. Even though I configured two cores for the Geust OS in VM, and the OSX did show two cores, it actually uses only one core, no matter how high the CPU usage (for that single core) is. Please see the attached screenshot of the activity monitor in OSX. It is always like that - only one core shows usage. I also checked the resource monitor in the Host OS (also attached), and it seems to confirm that only one core was used by the Guest.

I want to know if there is a fix to this. i use OSX mainly for programming, and if can use both cores I could wait less for the programs to compile.. Thanks!

post-830674-1310335853_thumb.png

post-830674-1310335977_thumb.png

On VirtualBox you can choose how many CPU you want to use inside Virtual machine.

On Intel Core2 Duo, i was able to decide if i want one ( so 50% CPU for VM and 50% CPU for real PC) or assign 2 CPU on Virtual machine so i get more power when VM is running ....

I think also on VMWare is the same thing. ;)

PippoX0

Hi I just installed OSX 10.6.6 in VMWare 7.1.2, using a preinstalled VM image. My CPU is Core 2 Duo SU7300, and the host OS is Win 7 64. I used the EmpireEFI4AMD_nomaxmem.iso to boot, which was found in here:http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t258906.html

Now here is my problem. Even though I configured two cores for the Geust OS in VM, and the OSX did show two cores, it actually uses only one core, no matter how high the CPU usage (for that single core) is. Please see the attached screenshot of the activity monitor in OSX. It is always like that - only one core shows usage. I also checked the resource monitor in the Host OS (also attached), and it seems to confirm that only one core was used by the Guest.

I want to know if there is a fix to this. i use OSX mainly for programming, and if can use both cores I could wait less for the programs to compile.. Thanks!

Please attach you VMX and vmware.log files. You can use more than one CPU, so not sure what is going on here. However you are using a guest we don't really support. Get a retail copy of Snow Leopard and use the VMware unlocker. Most of these "distros" are a waste of time and screw up virtualization platforms.

Please attach you VMX and vmware.log files. You can use more than one CPU, so not sure what is going on here. However you are using a guest we don't really support. Get a retail copy of Snow Leopard and use the VMware unlocker. Most of these "distros" are a waste of time and screw up virtualization platforms.

Donk: you are on the right track! I solved the problem by switching to using another boot ISO image (EASYEFI). I will check out the unlocker when I am ready to install Lion ;) Thanks!

On VirtualBox you can choose how many CPU you want to use inside Virtual machine.

On Intel Core2 Duo, i was able to decide if i want one ( so 50% CPU for VM and 50% CPU for real PC) or assign 2 CPU on Virtual machine so i get more power when VM is running ....

I think also on VMWare is the same thing. :)

PippoX0

Yes it is the same thing on VMWare, and I can now use both cores ^0^.