InsanelyMac Forum
  • Announcements

• Allan

Solution to create a topic or post.   04/24/2018

Hello guys. The majority of you are having issues to create a topic or post here. This are a problem with our current theme InsanelyMac.  Now the theme will be the Default IPS. Sorry for any inconvenience.
Mr Hypervisor

Read wiki and FAQ but noob still has questions!

Hi,

I'm new here, a bit of background,

Apple decided to announce x86 Macs and Windows compatibilty shortly after I bought a G4 Mac mini and a PC. It would be nice to run OS-X, Vista, XP (plus Linux, AROS, Amiga OS 3.9, Sky OS ;-) ) all on one box, and being that I will get peanuts selling my kit, I want to run x86 Tiger on my considerably more powerful PC until I get round to updating my hardware in a few years time (8 core MacPro by then).

I have been looking at the wiki and FAQ's on how to do this but I'm probably being a total noob but I still have a few questions.

1. Do I have to dual boot it or can I run it while Windows is running (non-native, virtualised)?

2. If I don't dual boot it what performance can I expect to get? It will be running on a 4800 X2 possibly overclocked. Can it handle Quartz Extreme effects?

3. To run it non-native, what version of VMWare do I need, VM Player, VM Workstation 5.5?

4. Can I use a legal x86 version of Tiger and then patch it or does all of this only work on patched versions from file-sharing sites?

5. Do I have even a remote chance of running OS-X on Virtual PC 2004? I think it pretends to be a BX chipset with a Trio 32/64 graphics card.

Best regards.

Advertisement
Hi,

I'm new here, a bit of background,

Apple decided to announce x86 Macs and Windows compatibilty shortly after I bought a G4 Mac mini and a PC. It would be nice to run OS-X, Vista, XP (plus Linux, AROS, Amiga OS 3.9, Sky OS ;-) ) all on one box, and being that I will get peanuts selling my kit, I want to run x86 Tiger on my considerably more powerful PC until I get round to updating my hardware in a few years time (8 core MacPro by then).

I have been looking at the wiki and FAQ's on how to do this but I'm probably being a total noob but I still have a few questions.

1. Do I have to dual boot it or can I run it while Windows is running (non-native, virtualised)? No, No.

2. If I don't dual boot it what performance can I expect to get? It will be running on a 4800 X2 possibly overclocked. Can it handle Quartz Extreme effects? Possibly, but give me more details on the rest of the system.

3. To run it non-native, what version of VMWare do I need, VM Player, VM Workstation 5.5? I don't know. I don't run it non-native.

4. Can I use a legal x86 version of Tiger and then patch it if you know how to patch it...or does all of this only work on patched versions from file-sharing sites? Most likely.

5. Do I have even a remote chance of running OS-X on Virtual PC 2004? I think it pretends to be a BX chipset with a Trio 32/64 graphics card. Sorry, I haven't tried it either.

Best regards.

Your best option is to get a patched version of OS X, (latest JaS would work fine) and do a native install.

I do own parition magic but does having an extra HD make things easier? I have a spare 8GB for experimentation but am meaning to get a 300GB'er soon.

When I get to the stage of knowing what I am doing native, I will give it a try on Virtual PC.

Guest bikedude880
1. Do I have to dual boot it or can I run it while Windows is running (non-native, virtualised)?

You don't have to dual boot if you don't want to. As for virtualized, see question 3.

2. If I don't dual boot it what performance can I expect to get? It will be running on a 4800 X2 possibly overclocked. Can it handle Quartz Extreme effects?

Dual booting has no effect on performance. QE: depends on the mobo chipset or add-on graphics card.

3. To run it non-native, what version of VMWare do I need, VM Player, VM Workstation 5.5?

I would go with VM Workstation 5.5 as it has worked well for me, but beware, it will run slowly.

4. Can I use a legal x86 version of Tiger and then patch it or does all of this only work on patched versions from file-sharing sites?

You could patch it yourself, but it can be difficult. I would recommend a pre-patched version.

5. Do I have even a remote chance of running OS-X on Virtual PC 2004? I think it pretends to be a BX chipset with a Trio 32/64 graphics card.

OS X on VPC2004? Not likely. It can't handle the HFS+ filesystem.