Building a bootable SandyBridge friendly USB installer

3 posts in this topic

I've seen this question asked quite a lot so here's a brief rundown of how I build my own bootable install media on a USB stick. I have used this with the standard 10.6 Install dvd and also the new MBP 10.6.7 install DVD's.

This is quite long winded (but worth doing in my opinion as the install goes much faster).

You will require a usb stick large enough to contain a copy of the Install DVD and an existing OS X installation from which to prepare the USB stick.

If you want to try this yourself then here's a brief howto..

1 - Download Chimera or your favourite bootloader (I use my own chameleon build but chimera will work just as well) installation package

2 - Download this zipped Extra folder http://www.mediafire.com/?ziytr76osil9l1u - it's tailored for the Asus P8P67 Pro board so contains some extra kexts specifically for it however this shouldn't matter (I've used it on a P5Q and various other boards without issue). The important stuff is in the preboot image file which contains the sandy bridge kernel, nullcpupowermanagement and fakesmc.

3 - Using an existing OS X installation make an image of the installation DVD - use disk utility, pop the DVD into your drive and select create new image. Create the image onto your desktop using all of the default settings. This will take a while so go make a coffee.

4 - Format your usb stick using disk utility, set it to OS X Journalled

5 - Drag your new DVD image from the desktop onto the botton left of disk utility, click on it (once its shown in disk utility) and select 'Images, Scan Image for Restore' from the TOP menu. This should complete successfully otherwise your image is corrupt and you will need to do step 3 again

6 - click on the dvd image in disk utility again and select 'Restore', drag the dvd image from the bottom left of disk utility into the 'source' box and then drag your freshly formatted usb stick to the 'destination' box, untick 'Erase Destination' and then click 'Restore'. This will take a long time so go make another coffee

7 - Once the restore completes you can eject your dvd and put it away safe and sound. Now you need to install a bootloader onto the usb stick so run the chimera (or whichever bootloader you have chosen) install package and select the usb stick as the target

8 - Almost done! Extract the extra folder from the zip file that you downloaded above and copy it to the root of your usb stick

9 - You should be done and the usb stick should now be bootable and allow you to run setup straight from your newly built usb stick

10 - That's all, Good luck and happy installing!

If you have more than video card, I found putting a gfx string into the boot.plist file, helps load up the installer in native resolution where as before I was getting a black screen if I didnt yank all but 1 video cards. Worked for me. Also I used an external notebook size hard drive. Was much fastee than a usb flash based drive.

• 1 month later...