Unable to update

9 posts in this topic

Ok, so I had to reinstall my Hackintosh because of a problem. Now, every time I try installing 10.6.7 on my Hazard, I install the legacy kernel 10.7. But, whenever I try booting up, I never get the spiny wheel and it just stays like that not loading anything.... PLZ help me. THX

C'mon guys please

You said you had 10.6.7 working before with the 10.6.6 kernel. Wasn't that good enough?

Anyway, you can install multiple kernels. Then to boot with a different kernel, you type its name at boot.

Suppose you get things working again with the 10.6.6 kernel. That kernel is named mach_kernel. Add the 10.6.7 kernel and name it "new_kernel". Try to boot and specify "new_kernel" as a boot flag. That will attempt to boot with the 10.6.7 kernel. If it fails, you can still boot using the 10.6.6 kernel by doing nothing special at boot ("mach_kernel" is the default). Once you get it to boot with the 10.6.7 kernel, then you can go rename "new_kernel" to be "mach_kernel".

Get it? You can continue to boot and use the computer while you work on upgrading the kernel.

Oh, and be careful which "legacy 10.7" kernel you use. One is for Lion 10.7 and the other is for Darwin 10.7.0 (for OSX 10.6.7). You want the one mentioned here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=253537

I fixed it! heres how: I installed the 10.6.7 Update. Then, I installed the 10.6.7 Kernel. I thought the problem might be because of the mach_kernel so I copied the 10.6.2 mach_kernel from before I updated. Heres how I did that: The mach_kernel was invisible which meant I could replace it with the mach_kernel I copied to my desktop before updating. I then downloaded Houdini which lets you see or move invisible files. I used Houdini, I selected Move, then I dragged the mach_kernel from the into my User folder. Then, I got my 10.6.2 mach_kernel and I dragged it into my Mac drive again. I rebooted and Taa daa! The spiny wheel works, sound is fine, no lag, it all works! Thanks for all the info guys!