Tweaking SnowLEO

4 posts in this topic

I have successfully installed SnowLEO on my HP laptop (DV6929wm). This was the first install I actually got working, and it wasn't too hard. Had to

sudo mv IOFirewire* /path/to/kext/backup/

All seems well, no wifi or DVD drive tho, but oh well for now. Now I want to learn about kexts and other necessary information.

My about this Mac restarts the finder everytime I use it, so any links would be great (I will be searching more once I get off of work).

Also, I need to learn about adding my device ID to a kext for my atheros WIFI (will have to look when I get home to see which card I actually have, unless it is in my sig, can't remember).

Also, any apps out there which are must have for OSx86 10.6? I know OSx86 tools is'nt around anymore, and the kext finder utility would have been kind of helpful for me?

Thanks a bunch, I will be updating the OSx86 wiki with my hardware and install method soon as well.

Take care,

Karim.

Try to get the lastest AppleSMBIOS.kext, that should hopefully fix your crash issues with ATM.

To edit kexts, you right click one, "show package contents", and edit either "info.plist" or w/e you need edited.

OSx86 Tools still works under SL, but some options might not work correctly. I only use it to change ATM info and to repair kext permissions. I don't know what the Kext Finder Utility is, but If you need it I'm sure it'll definitely help.

Any Kexts you need might be on the database at Kexts.com, give it a look.

Any more questions, I would be glad to answer.

Try to get the lastest AppleSMBIOS.kext, that should hopefully fix your crash issues with ATM.

To edit kexts, you right click one, "show package contents", and edit either "info.plist" or w/e you need edited.

OSx86 Tools still works under SL, but some options might not work correctly. I only use it to change ATM info and to repair kext permissions. I don't know what the Kext Finder Utility is, but If you need it I'm sure it'll definitely help.

Any Kexts you need might be on the database at Kexts.com, give it a look.

Any more questions, I would be glad to answer.

Thanks ifrit05. I have a few more questions. My Nvidia card shows up in system profiler, and the Chess.app works (slowly, but it does work). I have seen some references to Quartz and Quartz Extreme online. I know games (such as Plants vs Zombies) do not work at all. The screen goes pure white or pure black. Is this Quartz something I should look into? Also, I have seen alot about EFI and DMDT (I could be getting the acronym wrong lol) patching. I think the EFI stuff requires an apple partion (the first partition scheme in the list in Disk Utility), which I also think requires an Intel processor.

I am on AMD so I don't want to make an uneducated guess and end up having to reinstall. I have reinstalled so many times, rebooting my computer even seems to much work for me lol. So I have deduced to merely researching and collecting links and information.

My main os (besides the snow leo install we're discussing) is 10.5.8, in case that could ever be of consequence. Thank you for any tips on what to research you may have!

- Karim

• 2 months later...

karimruan, I have about the same "lappy" as you. It is a HP Pavillion DV6607rs it also has Nvidia GeForce 7150m and an AMD Athalon (64 bit) 1.80 Ghz and a Broadcom Wireless Chip. I was wondering how you got your system working. I would love to get it working on my laptop just for the fun of it too! A few years back I tried Kalyway and also no HardDrives were found the I tried iDeneb and got it installed but unfortunately common necessities like sound, display (it was stuck at 1024x768) and its was slow and buggy (I'm pretty sure internet didn't work either) Thank you!

PS: What do you mean by sudo mv IOFirewire* /path/to/kext/backup/