Kernel Panic...

erbic

12 posts in this topic

Well, I installed the Myzar release of 10.4.6 onto a USB external drive. Everything seemed to go nicely, and the tri-boot I have set up seems to be working.

Except...

I can't make OS X boot. It runs through a whole lot of text too fast to read, then gives me this.

dsc01533ev8.th.jpg

(Sorry about the flash, but it's not obliterating anything and it's not in proper focus without the flash.)

I gather it's a kernel panic, but what's causing it? Any help in getting this to work would be appreciated.

Right then...

My Soon-To-Be Tri-Boot Hackintosh: :thumbsdown_anim:

Dell Dimension XPS Gen4

Processor: P4 Extreme Edition 3.73 GHz; supports SSE3

Motherboard: Dell-branded motherboard with Intel i925X chipset

Memory: 4 GB dual-channel DDR2

Hard Disks:

OSX is currently installed on a 40GB partition of a 160GB IDE HDD in a USB enclosure

XP Home and Vista Beta 2 Build 5384 are dual-booting off of two (2) 74GB Western Digital SATA HDDs in a RAID 0 array

Graphics: ATI Radeon X850 XT Platinum (PCI Express)

Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI card

To me, this seems to be a somewhat unusual kernel panic, since there's no kext referenced. But I have almost no idea how to read these errors.

And I believe you're correct. I'll try disabling HT when I get back on that computer tomorrow morning.

Does OSX not like hyperthreading? I could see why that would be true, since it doesn't seem to like dual-core chips either. But that may be the completely wrong reason.

Does OSX not like hyperthreading?

Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't.

...it doesn't seem to like dual-core chips either.

Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I have a dual core chip that runs fine. A few other people with the same chip have had problems.

No luck. With or without hyperthreading, I get an identical kernel panic on boot.

Anyone have any other ideas? Might it be a good idea to torrent the JaS 10.4.7 release and install that?

Are you saying the JaS 10.4.6 might be better than the Myzar 10.4.6? Only reason I torrented the Myzar one is because it was downloading faster than the JaS one.

I'm going to try and reinstall OSX again with some different settings. If it doesn't work I'll get the JaS version.

Well, it doesn't matter now. I reinstalled OSX Myzar and deactivated the SSE3_ONLY_KERNEL extension whatchamathing. And it booted. So now I have a working OSX86 installation. I need some help with hardware, specifically my Ethernet card, but that's going in a separate thread. Thanks to everyone who posted here.