Most compatible W-Lan card

xxmacmanxx

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I've built a new system, but I need w-lan card. I would like to run Snow Leopard 1.6.7 so my question is which w-lan (pci or pcie, no usb stick) is compatible and recognized as an airport card?

I've read that a card based on the "AR9287"-chip would run, but I don't know which card actually has this chip and it's also not working out of the box. So, to sum it up:

Which PCI, PCIe W-lan card is - without much work - compatible and gets recognized as an airport card and his the following features?

- b/g/n

- 300 MBits

- price >30 € (I'm from Germany ;))

PS: Some people don't want this RaLink Utility. What is wrong with it?

PSII: Please no link to the Wiki, I've already looked into it, and I disliked the mentioned cards.

Greetings,

Ganon

Hi,

thanks for your reply!

But I'm unsure about the PCIe cards with the "AR9287"-chip. They are all "half-sized". Will they fit into an pcie x1 slot or is an adapter needed?

Edit: I think I prefer a full-sized PCIe card (useable with an antenna) for a desktop pc. Any recommendations?

i have used adapter (in ebay user yallstore has for 10$) "Mini PCI-E to PCI-E Wireless Adapter w/ 3 Antenna WiFi"

and apple broadcom bcm94321mc

( the ar9287 is poor choice chipset ..and only works with modified kext)

The real native is ar9281 aka ar5bxb91 ar5b91

when i bought aw-ne772 i had issues with it yet its supposed to be native. then i got something like ar5b91 and it works 100%.

search for ar5b91 if u want atheros.. or if u want broadcom bcm94321mc (broadcom tend to be less problems)

{by the way my friend is in germany at moment for 1 or 2 months.. hes grandson of hermann "pappa" hoth .. his dad died}

Hi,

thanks for your help!

I'm interest in the "apple broadcom bcm94321mc", but where can I get it? I can't find it at amazon and on ebay it's an used article. Or is this card only available in an apple airport extreme?