Hazard AMD 10.6.2 Kernel Panic

9 posts in this topic

Hi, I finally got a fairly successful SL install on my AMD PC, I'm running Hazard 10.6.2:

AMDx2 64 Athlon +3800

abit motherboard nforce chipset

Nvidia 9800GT 1GB

Hazard Install:

10.6.2 (now 10.6.4)

Kernel - Legacy

GFX Enabler

CMOS - LegacyAppleRTC

Audio - AppleAzalia

SATA-ATA-Fix - 10ATAFamFix + SATA

UUID

AppleUpStreamuserClientDisabler

NV Enabler

AMD

I was able to patch cupid's when upgrading to 10.6.4 using a guide on these forums. But not with the Marvin AMD tool.

Anyways, everything works fine, I can't find any problems with the OS running on my PC except for when I try to install large files or download large files (sized at least 5GB or above). I've tried downloading torrents and if the file is small enough it downloads quickly without any error. But when I try to download something large I get a kernel panic. This also happens when I install something like StarCraft 2, or WoW for example it will install so far and than i will get a kernel panic every time, not always in the same spot though. I've taken a couple screenshots of the error which i've attached.

UPDATE: I found that this error also occurs when something is taking more processing power. I recently played World of Warcraft (after moving all files onto an external and transferring it over instead of installing it which also causes this same kernel panic.) and after about a minute or two or gameplay the same kernel panic occurred. I was also able to update to 10.6.4 but the problem still exists.

post-595471-1306384075_thumb.jpgpost-595471-1306384093_thumb.jpg

*BUMP*

Can anyone provide some kind of insight? Or at least point me in the right direction?

The kernel panic invariably happens when more than 3GB of RAM is installed on the MOBO.....it is related to 32bit versus 64bit memory accessing......the system panics with the following message type in the kernel panic log:

panic(cpu X caller 0xXXXXXXXX): getPhysicalSegment() out of 32b range

0xXXXXXXXX, len 0xXXXX, class IOGeneralMemoryDescriptor.......

AFAIK the reason is that getPhysicalSegment returns a 32 bit address but because the physical memory address cannot fit in 32 bits a panic occurs.....

Have you tried slashack's AppleNForceATA v0.1 kext?......if not, then you should do so because it supports 64bit memory addressing.......

Even with slashack's AppleNForceATA v0.1 kext installed, which enables use of >3GB RAM without any problems for 99% of the time, there still seem to be some apps that cause memory addressing kernel panics either during installation or during large data file transfers e.g. video/audio files......

If you temporarily boot manually with -v cpus=1 maxmem=2048 when installing the app, or for doing large data file transfers e.g. video/audio files......and then afterwards, you reboot as normal.......everything is generally OK again, including making full use of all CPU cores by running applications now using the transferred data...... :P

It is not as bad as you think.....data transfers do not need all 4 cores running at 100%, since it is the MCP that is controlling the data transfer rate from USB/Firewire/eSATA/SATA/IDE to SATA/IDE and vice versa....see chipset architectures in my two nForce chipset threads....... :D

Thank you so much for replying and helping me out!m I've downloaded the file, and I just have one more question, where do I install this just so I install it correctly, and am I going to have to repair permissions or do anything in Terminal?

Thank you so much for replying and helping me out!m I've downloaded the file, and I just have one more question, where do I install this just so I install it correctly, and am I going to have to repair permissions or do anything in Terminal?

First try putting the kext in /Extra/Extensions by drag and drop'..........if you still have problems then put it in /System/Library/Extensions/ using Kext Helper b7..........

First try putting the kext in /Extra/Extensions by drag and drop'..........if you still have problems then put it in /System/Library/Extensions/ using Kext Helper b7..........

Awesome, seems to be working perfectly now :( Thanks a lot for your help! I really appreciate it!

Awesome, seems to be working perfectly now ;) Thanks a lot for your help! I really appreciate it!

Good news.......glad to help........ :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am getting kernel panic error! I am not getting how to us

/System/Library/Extensions

when after pressing the F8.

while i am going through this post, I found something similar word kext. It will very helpful if anyone explain how I can use "Kext Helper b7 tool.