Spotlight disabled...? Why?

exscape

3 posts in this topic

Problem 1:

Spotlight doesn't work. No matter what I type I get "No results found."

I tried checking it out with mdutil:

...:~ root# mdutil -s /Volumes/MacOSX

/Volumes/MacOSX:

Error: Could not get indexing status for volume.

...:~ root# mdutil -E /Volumes/MacOSX

/Volumes/MacOSX:

Error, no index found for volume.

...:~ root# mdutil -i on /Volumes/MacOSX

/Volumes/MacOSX:

Could not set indexing status for volume.

I've done quite a few installs before I got everything (well, almost) right. In one of those installs spotlight seemed to work just fine, but it's been like this in the rest of 'em.

Also, I can't enter directories/volumes under "Privacy", that might be related to the above though.

Any ideas?

Problem 2:

How the hell do I lock OSX to a single input language? I had to type my password to the forums five times before I got it right, since OSX changed the input language when I tabbed from "user name" to "password". Quite annoying!

I figured that I'd simply uncheck the ones I don't want, but when there's only two left the one I want to remove turns grey!

• 1 month later...

that sounds really annoying. i have a language problem to which is probably unrelated, i think. ive been living in japan and i need to use japanese characters occasionally so i enabled the character set in the 10.4.6 goatsecx disk which worked fine (except for the character palette) until i updated using the jas amd 10.4.7 updater. since then i can select the japanese symbols but i continue typing in english. perhaps its not as annoying as your problem but it stops me from using mac everyday.

anyone got any ideas? i found and installed a language patch on TPB but it didnt change anything. as soon as ive backed up i will install anything that looks related to language of the install disk.