Osx on thinkpad r52

8 posts in this topic

Installed Jas 10.4.6 with SSE2 patch. Speed is very good. 2D Vesa-Video runs fine, no CI/QE support (ATI X600 recognized-no kexts loaded), but runs very well as a business machine. Inegrated Ethernet (Broadcom) needed patching - search for Broadcom 5751M (Ven_ID 14E4 , Dev_ID 167D). After patching look for SetMAC. Internal Intel WLAN miniPCI card does not work (replacable - seacrch the forum). And as with all notebooks-no power management. If you plan to buy a R52 - don't do it and buy a MacBook. If you already have one, go ahead as it is quite well supported for a notebook. As I told you: 2D Graphics, Scrolling, etc. works very fast and is enough for business use. If you need CI/QE - forget that notebook.

Forgot to tell what works: Internal SATA Drive-yes, Audio In-Out-yes, DVD-Burner fully supported, USB & Firewire work perfect.

• 1 month later...

Have installed 10.4.6 JaS DVD with JaS 10.4.7 update on both the internal disk and external USB disk. No installation problems. Boot up problem exists (needs Fn+F7) so no unattended boot. Have not tried the VGA dongle yet. Installed patched Broadcom gigabit lan kext. Loads fine but have not got around the MAC address problem. So no networking yet.

System:

IBM R52 1860AQ1

Mobile Pentium M 1.86 GHz (SSE2)

512 MB DDR RAM@533 MHz

Intel GMA900 Graphics

AC'97 sound

BroadCom 5751 Gigabit LAN

• 2 years later...

I have installed Leopard 10.5.5 on my IBM R52 and it works well, with just few exceptions: wireless and firewire. As said above, the graphics is just 2D (no hardware acceleration) - but that's not a major problem. For wireless, I have tried the iwidarwin drivers, with no luck (it crashes at reboot). Speaking of which - is there any evolution on these drivers (or any other solution)? I've looked on the site and it seems that there's no improvement since the last summer...

• 6 months later...

I just can't seem to get any audio working on my Thinkpad R52 model 1858 with 10.5.8 ideneb lite.

I have tried all sorts of audio kexts but it always says no built in audio device in system profiler.

The vendor id code is 8086 266e.

I can see those codes in one of the AppleAC97audio.kext plugins, but it just doen't want to load.

Does the R52 audio depend on some other .kext I don't have installed? eg. I don't have a PCMCIA kext because it often gave a bit of booting trouble.