Quad Core CPU - 3 Cores do nothing

Lyve

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I successfully installed Snow Leopard on my machine by using Empire EFI and a SL Retail DVD.

Everything was fine, I even didn't need any special arguments while installing. After installation, I could easily upgrade to 10.6.7, so far so good. I didn't install anything else yet except NVEnabler for my graphics.

The problem is, in the Activity Monitor, I see 4 Graphs for all 4 Cores of my Core 2 Quad Q6600 processor, but 3 of them are black and the performance of the machine is bad. I assume that 3 cores are completely idling, they seem to do nothing.

The "About this Mac" box lists my processor as 1 CPU - 4 Core Intel Xeon @ 2,73Ghz. The clock is correct, but it's not a Xeon, only a Core 2 Quad.

My machine is a Asus P5Q Motherboard, 4GB of DDR2 RAM, A Geforce 9800 GT graphics and the CPU mentioned above.

Is this a common problem? Any advice?

Thank you very much.

Nils

Apple don't ship any Macs with Core 2 Quad CPUs.

Your bootloader automatically convinces OS X that you have the Xeon equivalent. This is good for compatibility.

Enable ACPI 2.0 and ACPI APIC in the BIOS. Enable all advanced CPU features except CPUID Limit.

Use a MacPro3,1 smbios.plist in /Extra (find one via the Forum search)

Upgrade to Chameleon 2.0 RC5.

Read about the new features here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=225766

But try to find a newer version. I've compiled and posted a few lately, look in my previous posts. There's an install guide as well.