Can some explain to me about kext, plist, mkext?

Gary Coleman

6 posts in this topic

as I understand they are synomus to "drivers" in Windows. But I don't understand how they operate when people say copy, paste, or edit abc. kext

How would you install these "drivers"? Everything is working except my audio so I need an audio driver. As I understand, you would need to look up hardware ID's through Windows and paste them somewhere. How would I extract the hardware ID from this line PCI\VEN_10DE%DEV_0041$SUBSYS_21021682$REV_A1

from that your hardware ID would be 0x004110de

to get to the info.plist of the kext you are trying to edit you must right click the kext or control-click and show package contents.

From there it will open a finder window with a folder that says contents. open that folder then drag the info.plist to the desktop and then control-click (right-click) the info.plist on the desktop and select open with and choose textedit or your favorite editor.

then you would insert your hardware id into the correct place.

save the file.

drag the file back into the contents folder. authenticate. insert your password. done.

now go into applications>utilities>disk utility

select your mac hd and then click repair/verify disk permissions. once that is done. reboot and enjoy sound.

hope this helps a bit

from that your hardware ID would be 0x004110de

to get to the info.plist of the kext you are trying to edit you must right click the kext or control-click and show package contents.

From there it will open a finder window with a folder that says contents. open that folder then drag the info.plist to the desktop and then control-click (right-click) the info.plist on the desktop and select open with and choose textedit or your favorite editor.

then you would insert your hardware id into the correct place.

save the file.

drag the file back into the contents folder. authenticate. insert your password. done.

now go into applications>utilities>disk utility

select your mac hd and then click repair/verify disk permissions. once that is done. reboot and enjoy sound.

hope this helps a bit

thanks i will try that when i get home. I am so used to windows and OSX is foreign to me.

• 1 year later...

Look can someone help me? I must insert a code in a .plist file, located in a .kext "folder", but when im done editing the .plist file(with text editor) and i try to save it says that i dont have permission for that, can someone help me?

How can i turn off theese permissions?

I saw in another forum that you must go on the Terminal and type:

sudo su

sudo nano /system/libary/extensions/YOURKEXT.kext/Contents/Info.plist

but when i do that i dont see any difference on the permissions(appears a type of text editor on the text editor)..

Sorry my bad english, if no one help me i will try to post an image

i just right click on what i want, GET INFO, then down i unlock it and choose from Details the owner as me not system, do the change i want, then when im done repair permissions in disk utility

imsure there's another way in terminal, but that thing works for me most of the times

How can i turn off theese permissions?

I saw in another forum that you must go on the Terminal and type:

sudo su

sudo nano /system/libary/extensions/YOURKEXT.kext/Contents/Info.plist

but when i do that i dont see any difference on the permissions(appears a type of text editor on the text editor)..

the second sudo command isn't needed, just use: nano /System/Libary/Extensions/YOURKEXT.kext/Contents/Info.plist

This doesn't change permissions.

sudo su basically changes the current shell user to the root user and hence you have the needed permissions to edit and save the file.