So Close...everything fine except booting from hard drive. Advice?

3 posts in this topic

Hey everyone.

So I have a dell XPS 410. Booted with Empire EFI and installed 10.6.0. Then I ran [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to enable boot from hard drive and sound/graphics.

Everything worked.

Then I did the combo update to 10.6.6. Repair and rebuild. Restarted computer and everything works great.

However, I can't seem to boot from hard drive. Here is what happens.

When I change the boot options to load from hard drive first, a grey screen comes up with an apple logo. Then a o with a \ through it pops up. Some type of error.

So I go back into BIOS and allow the cdrom to boot first and I get the EFI Empire boot screen like always with my hard drive labeled "MAC."

I installed to the hard drive, but not sure whats going on. Also, I can't find any place to type -v when booting from the hard drive to find the errors.

Any ideas?

It seems you're experiencing a "Still waiting for root device" problem. You should check if that's your problem by booting in verbose mode (type "-v" in chameleon (without the quotes)). If that's your problem, try installing SATA/ATA drivers from your distro or enable AHCI mode in your BIOS.

Hope it helped.

It seems you're experiencing a "Still waiting for root device" problem. You should check if that's your problem by booting in verbose mode (type "-v" in chameleon (without the quotes)). If that's your problem, try installing SATA/ATA drivers from your distro or enable AHCI mode in your BIOS.

Hope it helped.

Thanks for the help.

When I get to the chameleon screen, it loads so fast I don't have time to enter -v. Maybe if I create another partition, it will stop and give me a choice what partition to boot?

Everything is up to date. However, I do believe AHCI mode is not enabled. In the XPS 410, I need 2 hard drives connected in order to get to the "RAID Configuration Utility" which will give me the option to enable AHCI.

When I use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], I get "waiting for root device." And finally when I was able to get it to load (used early version of snow leopard 10.6.0, it wouldn't recognize my hard drive.

So, I used Empire EFI and everything worked.

When I boot from the disc (don't need the USB anymore) I get about 7 lines of the same code saying...

loaded copy with a different executable UUID is already present. (and something pertaining to IOPCIFAMILY V 2.6.

Thanks again.