[Guide] BURG bootloder Triple-boot !

8 posts in this topic

BURG BOOTLOEAR -

How to Triple Boot OSx, Linux and Windows

BURG is a GUI bootloder for linux, very similar to Grub - but with GUI...

Why use it ?

a. GUI is awesome!

b. BURG is FASTER in comparison to other Famous GUI bootloder - Chameleon

c. BURG theme is easy to manipulate, Plus is getting updated regularly... ( if you choose to :stretcher: )

How a boot with it will looks like ?

After your BIOS screen BURG screen will popup after 1 sec ( SEE IMAGE ATTACHED )

- For windows & ubuntu, 1 click will load them up.

- For OSx, 1 click will load your Chameleon bootloader, and from him you'll load your OSx

Before you get started... READ THIS !

This guide based on the idea that you have already 2 OS installed: OSx + ubuntu.

I assume that you have already have Chameleon bootloader installed on you OSx partition.

Let me clear that again:

BURG IS NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR THE "MAGICS" THAT CHAMELEON DOES !!!

YOU MUST HAVE CHAMELEON BOOTLOADER INSATLLED BEFORE INSTALLING BURG

I use ubuntu 10.04, OSx 10.6.7 + chameleon v2 RC5 rev750, but i guess it works on other versions of OSx 10.5+, chameleon v2 any revesion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.Boot to Ubuntu, run terminal to Install Burg on your system:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bean123ch/burg
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install burg

2. Install it to the MBR:

sudo burg-install /dev/sdX

(the X represent the HDD (not partition) of your linux, OSx, Windows)

3. Edit burg's Custom Scanner config file:

sudo gedit /etc/burg.d/40_custom

and enter at end of file:

menuentry "MacOS X Snow Leopard" {
	insmod hfsplus
	set root=(hd0,X) # !!!!! change X to the Mac SL partition !!!!!
	multiboot /boot
}

To check your OSx number run:

sudo ls -l /dev/disk/by-label/

Your OSx partition number after the /dev/sdX is the number you need... mine is /dev/sda2 so it's (hd0,2)

4. Refresh Burg main config file (/boot/burg/burg.cfg)

sudo update-burg

5. Edit 'Burg.cfg' and delete false auto-identification of OSx

sudo gedit /boot/burg/burg.cfg

search for "menuentry "Mac OS X (32-bit)" & menuentry "Mac OS X (64-bit)" sections and DELETE them...

These are WRONG Values create automatically by the BURG update process.

Optional step 5.

NOTE- If you do this optional step - SKIP steps 3-5

If you wish to change the auto-scan process so OSx will be listed correctly(without the need to delete every time update-burg happens):

1. download my '30_os-prober'.

2. replace the existing in "/etc/burg.d/".

3. preform "sudo update-burg" to get updated burg.cfg file.

Please note that if you update burg version through ubuntu updates - this tweak (including Optional step 5) WILL be erased and won't work.

Updated -

I present you my edited "coffee" theme:

post-369261-1303376901_thumb.jpg

Download "BURG_By_Night_Mare007.zip" and extract to your Ubuntu "/boot/burg/"

Updated 03.08.11 -

I made new graphics change for "coffee" theme, compatible with 1920x720 boot resolution, as configured in the burg.cfg

( other resolutions will just distort the icons, but it's possible to fix it by changing the icon's values through "THEME" file, at the bottom, which is inside "Coffee" folder )

This image example was resized:

post-369261-1312396565_thumb.jpg

just download "coffee.zip", replace the existing under linux's "/boot/burg/themes/" and edit burg.cfg ( one folder before ) to enable coffee as the default theme ( I think my previous theme contains that burg.cfg already configured coffee as default )

Enjoy

Orig idea - Thanks to Mucha090

30_os_prober.zip

BURG_By_Night_Mare007.zip

Coffee.zip

• Like 2

BURG BOOTLOEAR -

How to Triple Boot OSx, Linux and Windows

BURG is a GUI bootloder for linux, very similar to Grub - but with GUI...

Why use it ?

a. GUI is awesome!

b. BURG is FASTER in comparison to other Famous GUI bootloder - Chameleon

c. BURG theme is easy to manipulate, Plus is getting updated regularly... ( if you choose to :censored2: )

How a boot with it will looks like ?

After your BIOS screen BURG screen will popup after 1 sec ( SEE IMAGE ATTACHED )

- For windows & ubuntu, 1 click will load them up.

- For OSx, 1 click will load your Chameleon bootloader as you have already running.

Before you get started...

This guide based on the idea that you have already 2 OS installed: OSx + ubuntu.

I assume that you have already Chameleon bootloder installed on you OSx partition and that you have "/boot" file in it.

I use ubuntu 10.04, OSx 10.6.7 + chameleon v2 RC5 rev750, but i guess it works on other versions of OSx 10.5+, chameleon v2 any revesion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1.Boot to Ubuntu, run terminal to Install Burg on your system:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bean123ch/burg
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install burg

2. Install it to the MBR:

sudo burg-install /dev/sdX

(the X represent the HDD (not partition) of your linux, OSx, Windows)

3. Edit burg's Custom Scanner config file:

sudo gedit /etc/burg.d/40_custom

and enter at end of file:

menuentry "MacOS X Snow Leopard" {
	 insmod hfsplus
	 set root=(hd0,X) # !!!!! change X to the Mac SL partition !!!!!
	 multiboot /boot
}

4. Refresh Burg main config file (/boot/burg/burg.cfg)

sudo update-burg

5. Edit 'Burg.cfg' and delete false auto-identification of OSx

sudo gedit /boot/burg/burg.cfg

search for "menuentry "Mac OS X (32-bit)" & menuentry "Mac OS X (64-bit)" sections and DELETE them...

These are WRONG Values create automatically by the BURG update process.

Optional step 5.

NOTE- If you do this optional step - SKIP steps 3-5

If you wish to change the auto-scan process so OSx will be listed correctly(without the need to delete every time update-burg happens):

1. download my '30_os-prober'.

2. replace the existing in "/etc/burg.d/".

3. preform "sudo update-burg" to get updated burg.cfg file.

Please note that if you update burg version through ubuntu updates - this tweak (including Optional step 5) WILL be erased and won't work.

Enjoy

Orig idea - Thanks to Mucha090

Does this download include a default theme or are themes a separate download?

Does this download include a default theme or are themes a separate download?

BURG comes with at list 7-8 themes

My theme is a variation of a theme named "coffee", which is installed default.

Mine a bit different -

I changed the background, OS icons and cursor + edited the icons names + icons ratio size ( orig images are a bit large... ) - in short i massed a lot with this them to suit my eye under FULL HD screen.

My guide is intended to solve the OSx identification by BURG...

About theme - please google it m8...

Like here or HERE

P.S - i just think that it won't be fair for the linux BURG community&developers to write about themes under OSX forum... for that there are linux forums..

BURG comes with at list 7-8 themes

P.S - i just think that it won't be fair for the linux BURG community&developers to write about themes under OSX forum... for that there are linux forums..

Then why would it be fair to write about Burg itself? "for that there are linux forums" also. Your impression is mistaken. grub and lilo and burg are not part of the linux OS, they are just bootloaders. Chameleon is not part of OS X, it is just a bootloader. This sub-forum is about multi-booting, which requires a bootloader. If it is proper to discuss how to install Chameleon themes on this forum, then it is proper to talk about how to discuss Burg themes on this forum. The Easybcd bootloader is mentioned on this forum and it's primarily for Windows, but boots both Hack and Linux OS. It doesn't have themes AFAIK. Because Chameleon is the default bootloader for most people on this forum, doesn't make talking about other bootloaders off topic, nor is comparing features such as themes off topic, although most posters have bigger fish to fry than worrying about a theme. Did you mean to spell BOOTLOADER rather than BOOTLOEAR?

Did you test this to see if there is any impact to the .plist files in /Extra? Chameleon is not Darwin.

OK - I added a bit more clearer explanations about what it does and not...

As i'm a fan of BURG and not familiar with chameleon theme editing, and know that windows&ubuntu are my primary OSs, I found BURG a faster, reliable, easy solution.

As I recently installed OSx86 on my laptop, and wanted to restore BURG with OSx boot capability - So i searched for found a solution - which was a bit HARD to find through the net.

Surprisingly, I found the answer in this forum but under "New Users Lounge" section - quite a good place to hold that priceless information...

As I found this forum very helpful, I decided to contribute in a more specific guide, under the right section in the forum.

If it done all that stuff it would multiboot /mach_kernel instead of /boot.

That could be neat.

At the moment it just bootloads a bootloader.

May be useful to some I suppose.

I just discovered that when Easybcd boots Snow Leopard, that it doesn't process all of com.apple.Boot.plist. One actually has to boot from the drive where Chameleon's boot0 is installed in the MBR. I think Burg which would need to be installed to the MBR with only two hard drives, is likely to be in the same boot as Easybcd, which means, as in the original mucha090, this is better for three drives; or *Boot.plist would need to be quite uncomplicated. I'm not sure if the booting up mechanics are equal for Burg and Easybcd.

• 2 years later...