SnowLeo success!

3 posts in this topic

It actually isn't that bad. Just a random snow leopard ISO happen to try booting. I had issues with KPs over firewire, so I booted back into the DVD installer, opened terminal, and moved the firewire kexts out of /System/Library/Extensions/ into /System/Library/kextbackups/.

During customization I chose some 'chocolate kernel' (seems slightly buggy), SuperNforceATA for the chipset kext, VoodooHDA for audio, the AMD Patch (might not have been necessary. Everything else I left alone.

With that config I installed to a 150GB Western Digital 'My Book' external HDD.

Working:

Ethernet (kinda flakey, connection randomly drops after a while and I have to restart to reconnect)

Built in audio (using VoodooHDA the laptop built in speakers work, and so do the spdif/headphone jacks, havent tried the mic but it shows up as OK).

DVD/CD drive (Lightscribe does not work whatsoever. I even tried a USB DVD ROM Drive,no go)

USB Keyboard, mouse works fine

Both CPU cores work fine (so far so good at least)

ISSUES:

The cursor is kinda flakey. Like it flutters in and out a bit (flickers?)

Safari crashed the first time I used it. Flash is a mess. I read to run Safari using Rosetta to avoid flash and crash problems.

Wanted to test my Nvidia card, so I installed Plants vs. Zombies. Had sound, but the game window was pure white, with an enlarged white mouse when inside the game window. Chess works ok, about a 1.5 second lag, no biggy.

About this mac crashes and relaunches finder.

All I really want to do now is get this thing as stable as possible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

SPECS:

Mac OS X 10.6.? (not sure which 10.6.x)

AMD Turion x64 (two cores)

Nforce MCP67 (this is like the whole system, lol, southbridge, everthing in LSPCI has MCP67 lol)

2GB RAM

Atheros (AR242x) wifi (not working, not needed either, you should see this ex-laptop, lol)

Installed on WD 150GB My Book 'external HDD'

Firewire disabled

GFX: Nvidia Gefore 7150m (doesn't seem to be working very well)

To see what version of Mac you have, click the apple in the top left corner, click About This Mac, and it tells you Version 10.6.x, if it's only 10.6, I believe that's just 10.6.0. I'd follow guides from here and Tonymac to get to 10.6.7, the latest version :)

To see what version of Mac you have, click the apple in the top left corner, click About This Mac, and it tells you Version 10.6.x, if it's only 10.6, I believe that's just 10.6.0. I'd follow guides from here and Tonymac to get to 10.6.7, the latest version :)

About this Mac crashes SL, lol.

I have been using by ibook G4 alot for an assistant. I will check into tonymac and others once I get my new hackbook more stable. Video intensive stuff isn't very good.

Thanks for the tip on tonymac, good job on thoroughly reading my post.