Slow Performance on Virtualbox running Snow Leopard

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have successfully installed Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.6 on Virtualbox. It runs perfectly but it runs slower than usual. Is there a way to speed up Snow Leopard response in Virtualbox? Plus, is there a way for 3D acceleration to work on Snow Leopard Virtualbox since Guest Additions are not available on Mac OS X currently?

PC Specs:

Ubuntu 10.10

Athlon 64 X2

3GB of RAM

160GB of HD space

Nvidia GeForce 7500LE

• 1 month later...

I have the same question RE: Guest Additions. :(

I think I read "they are installed by default because OSX is 'experimental'." For example, Mouse Integration is supposed to require Guest Additions--and yet this is enabled. Still, I'm pretty clueless so far; e.g., I see no difference selecting 'OSX' vs. 'OSX64', and I intend to also try 'BSD', 'Other', and 'Windows' just for giggles. (How do I tell from OSX if it's running 64-bit? Yes, I'm clueless. I've tried About This Mac but that just gives a momentary Blue Screen of Indifference.)

BTW, I seem to find the HDD is the bottleneck as far as performance with my attempts. I exported the appliance to a SSD Xpresscard, and now it's fairly 'zippy'. If this isn't an option, you might consider using MyDefrag to locate the appliance on the fastest part of your HDD to limit seeking...

Successful VirtualBox OSx86 Appliance on:

Snow Leopard SL_1.6.6i_by_Hazard

Chameleon RC5 selected

HP HDX X16T-1100 CTO Premium Notebook PC

Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26GHz

4GB DDR2 800MHz

Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT

Windows Vista 64 SP2 Home Premium

Virtualized OS's tend to always be a little sluggish compared to running them native. If you have AMD-V or VT-x (Intel), that would help a whole lot. Make sure it's enable in your BIOS, make sure your CPU Supports it, and make sure VirtualBox has it enabled too.

To see if OS X is booted into 64bit mode, run System Profiler, and click on the "Software" list title; in the box on the right it should say "64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes".

Thanks ifrit05!

Kernel Version: Darwin 10.6.0

64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes

Under Gfx/Displays it says "No Kext loaded". Would this affect the GFX acceleration? Should I try something different at install? Tinker with this install?

Does Clipboard sharing work for you?

If you install the guest additions ISO that is included in VirtualBox (darwin.iso I think) you should get better resolutions and clipboard sharing. Although I think it doesn't enable Hardware Acceleration (QE/CI).

If you install the guest additions ISO that is included in VirtualBox (darwin.iso I think) you should get better resolutions and clipboard sharing. Although I think it doesn't enable Hardware Acceleration (QE/CI).

There are no guest additions for Mac OS X yet. There are ways to get a few different resolutions but no QE/CI.