Laptop screen connected to Desktop gfx card?

myrorym

4 posts in this topic

Greetings.

My goal is to remove a working screen from an otherwise broken laptop and find a way to connect it to my desktop.

I would find this useful when needing to transport my machine. I am doing live visuals, and cannot stand the hardware limitations of a laptop. However it is not ideal to also haul a 20+" monitor to and fro.

I dont yet have a screen to use, but am weighing the effort/tears before investing.

The final product would ideally be a 15-17" laptop lcd (existing casing) connected to a hinge that would be a fixed atop my case. THink a 20" thick macbook SUP-DUPER-PRO :D

Has anyone done this? If so, how do you convert wiring from laptop video connection?

I understand this may be different on notebooks from different manufacturers, but if anyone has had success with a similar task, I would appreciate any help.

I would guess that there may be close to a standard for internal display connections. Are adapters available for these to connect to DVI or VGA then to DVI?

I'm most interested in the issue of the display connector. The hinge and keeping the display open/close is the next fun part.

Thanks to anyone who is interested or can help

post-275222-1302800467_thumb.jpg

Google 'LCD controller board'. You need to somehow find the part number for the LCD display in your laptop.

Thanks.

I was having trouble before with my googling. It looks like I need to match the connector (LVDS) on an LCD to a supplied "LCD controller board" which has DVI, VGA inputs and LVDS to the screen. I have seen many similar looking boards, just need to find one to suit my needs (resolution capabilities, power consumption, placement. Maybe an inverter needed too.

I found this, maybe a solution, although quite pricey.

http://www.montest.com/montest-tl.html

Adding tho controller means either I need to re-case the LCD to add room for the controller, or find a better spot for the controller. Maybe in my case, empty PCI slot?

Maybe carrying a separate monitor is actually easier.

Make sure your screen is LVDS 1st, if it's a bit old or exotic, it might not be.

If it is, then you need a card that can output that signal, all IGPs do it nowadays, about pci cards, you need some special hardware since there's no point for manufacturers to support that.

That hardware is going to cost you the skin of the ass (rough translation of a french expression), and you could probably buy 3 or 4 flat screens for the same price, that come with all the required stuff (backlight, inverter, connection, power supply...) that could be disassembled and plugged without problems on any hardware.

As a conclusion, beside the challenge, what you're trying to achieve is complicated, economically and technically pointless.