OSX with an i5 and ITX

5 posts in this topic

Morning all.

I'm building a new machine and, having recently suffered the demise of my MBP, I'd like very much for it to be Hackintoshable. Core i5 2500k seems to be the new hotness, so I'm going for that. I also have a strong preference for the mini-ITX form factor.

I've seen comments here and elsewhere about the suitability of this or that motherboard for OSX. The motherboard I'm looking at is the Gigabyte H67N-USB3-B3, which has pretty positive reviews. Can anyone tell me if this would work with OSX? If not, could anyone tell me how I, using what brain I have, might find out this information for myself? I.e. giving me a fish would be great, as would teaching me how to fish. Thanks!

• 2 months later...

Hi silves89

I can confirm that your build will work !

I too have h67n-usb3-b3 board, i5 2500k, and a ati 6850 graphics card.

i managed too install 10.6.7 with the known modifications ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] etc.).

I dont know how the new dsdt.aml from tonymac dsdt database works, but it is worth giving

a try. But too get back to the point, the system will RUN !!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi silves89

I can confirm that your build will work !

I too have h67n-usb3-b3 board, i5 2500k, and a ati 6850 graphics card.

i managed too install 10.6.7 with the known modifications ([url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] etc.).

I dont know how the new dsdt.aml from tonymac dsdt database works, but it is worth giving

a try. But too get back to the point, the system will RUN !!!

i jazzman, may I ask you what kind of case have you got for your config?

I would like to get a config very similar to yours and am wondering if putting all inside a mini-itx case would work or not (maybe too small and hot? dunno ;) )

and.. with this config is it possible to upgrade to lion without any problems?

thanks in advance bye!

ps: I would need to do some base photo editing with this config, your video card will be good for that? if yes, can you tell me the exact model you have and how you got it 100% working?

I'm waiting for the Z68 itx motherboard that'll bring hack mini on steroids for the masses. :)

do you mean the Z68MX-UD2H-B3 micro-atx mobo? would this work for a hackintosh?

thanks!

• 1 month later...

Gigabyte H67N-USB3-B3 works fine with Lion, it's the motherboard my sister has on her hackintosh. SATA, LAN and AUDIO work. Don't remember if I tried sleep/wake. Rest of the system is composed by: CPU i5 2400. VGA Sapphire 6870, Corsair RAM, OCZ PSU, WD hard drive, Lian Li case.

Hope it helps,

Karina