Safe Mode Only

five

8 posts in this topic

I have just discovered this yesterday and I went out and got a new hard drive (160gb - Best Buy was having a sale).

I have got it working okay (in safe mode), using the tutorial here.

At first it was really really slow, but I renamed AppleTPMACPI.kext to AppleTPMACPI.kext.old (from within XP using MacDrive). That seemed to speed things up a bit.

I then installed Maxxuss 0.5c and was able to run iTunes from within Safe Mode.

Even with these successes, I still can't boot into regular mode. It goes to a green screen (GSOD) that says to power off or restart the computer.

A few particulars about my system (according to CPU-Z):

CPU: 2.53 GHz P4 (SSE2)

Motherboard: Gigabyte 8IPE1000P (BIOS Fa)

Video: ATI Radeon 9800 PRO

Memory: 512 MB DDR

DVD-R: Pioneer a104 (seemed to be causing problems earlier._

A few notes from along the way:

1) Originally I had the new hard drive going through a PCI adapter card, now it is going through the mobo. It didn't boot at all through the pci card.

2) One of the errors I was getting had to do with the dvd-r drive.

The last -v statement before it goes to the green screen says vmode (I think, it's been a few hours ago).

A few general questions:

1) Is it possible to have some way to boot separate hard drives, besides going through the BIOS everytime? (Actual hard drives, not partitions.)

2) How can I use all 160gb from the hard drive, right now it shows up as 6gb in MacDrive and as a 'bad' in Partition Magic.

3) Can I get Photoshop or the Office suite running (with SSE2)?

[Yes I have tried searching, but it's been a bit overwhelming and I am just hoping for a little help, a point in the right direction.]

Thanks to all that have made this possible. I can't wait to get this up and running.

I will give the ati tip a shot.

Any ideas about maximizing the 160gb hard drive? If I were to add a second partition on it, how would I know where to start it and begin it. (If that makes sense.) In Partition Magic it just shows up as a bad drive, even though MacDrive recognizes it okay, just the fact that it only shows up at 6 gigs.