Post Install CPU Recognition

5 posts in this topic

Ok, so I got my Hackintosh running, and quite strongly. My only problem is with the CPU. I have an Intel Core i5 760, so it's supposed to be recognized as a quad core 2.8ghz processor. But when I click on About this Mac it says it's a 2 GHz Intel Core i5. I just updated to 10.6.7, but I believe I was running 10.6.5 or 6, I can't quite remember. It was still giving me the same result. I don't think it's affecting the actual processing speed, but I'm not entirely sure. At the moment I don't have my hard drive backed up, and it's gonna be a couple weeks before I can, so I don't want to go all crazy downloading kexts and stuff, and couldn't really find anything on the forums about this.

Enough rambling, my point is, is this actually affecting my Hackintosh's speed? If so, how can I fix it? And if you can't tell, how could I truly test it?

If you can help me, that would be great. If you need more details on my system, I'll gladly give them out.

Thank you and have a great day!

You could always edit this you do know that ? ... its simply hardware detection and nothing more :D ... so no its not slowing down your computer :D But if you want to change it for ascetics, Well try replace AppleSMBIOS.kext And see what happens

Hello, 2009 called, they want their obsolete hacked kernel extensions back.

There is no reason to modify AppleSMBIOS.kext or use an SMBIOS Injector anymore.

Also.. ascetics?

If you want to override CPU identification, use /Extra/smbios.plist. Google/Forum search for examples.

Hm. Well, a couple days after I posted this I found a program called iBench, ran the test, and, if I remember correctly, it said that my cores were running at 2.0 GHz instead of 2.8. Maybe it tested this wrong, but I ran the same test on my MacBook and it identified everything correctly and running at proper speeds. Could there be something changed in my motherboard bios that is keeping it from running at full potential?