D865GLC/Pentuim4 SL 10.6.3DVD

nsputnik

6 posts in this topic

I was able to install SL 10.6.3 from a retail DVD to a D865GLC/478 Pentuim4 hyperthread machine but I cannot successfully boot.

I used nawcom’s mod boot cd which uses Chameleon. I get the Chameleon boot screen and then the Apple screen but then an error message pictured here: http://nsputnik.com/SL-hack.JPG

This is a single partition setup, not a dual boot. The main computer I am using to make possible solution (CDs, DVDs, USB drives) is a MBP also running SL 10.6.3 (in case any suggestions might include Windows tools).

What do I need to do next to get this working?

In your motherboard BIOS, enable all advanced CPU settings except CPU ID Limit, and under ACPI or Power Management or whatever it's called in your BIOS, enable ACPI 2.0 and ACPI APIC. Some people recommend setting standby mode to S3 (STR) as well but I'm not sure if it matters much, it should work when left at 'auto'. Maybe some motherboards need this when running OS X.

Disable devices that you don't use, such as serial- infrared- and parallel ports etc etc.

If that doesn't help, try disabling Hyperthreading as well.

As a last resort, try a CMOS reset.

I used nawcom’s mod boot cd which uses Chameleon.

All boot CDs use Chameleon.

In your motherboard BIOS, enable all advanced CPU settings except CPU ID Limit, and under ACPI or Power Management or whatever it's called in your BIOS, enable ACPI 2.0 and ACPI APIC. Some people recommend setting standby mode to S3 (STR) as well but I'm not sure if it matters much, it should work when left at 'auto'. Maybe some motherboards need this when running OS X.

Disable devices that you don't use, such as serial- infrared- and parallel ports etc etc.

If that doesn't help, try disabling Hyperthreading as well.

As a last resort, try a CMOS reset.

All boot CDs use Chameleon.

Turning off hyper threading was all I had to do! Thank you so much!! So happy!

Great. But it sucks having to disable HT, surely you will see a performance decrease.

FWIW, hyperthreading works on my old P4 hackintosh, but it's running 10.5.8 with the 9.8.0 qoopz kernel.

The motherboard has the same chipset family as yours, the i865PE.

You can check whether HT is working by running Activity Monitor, there should be two CPU usage windows.

I don't know what you can do to get it working on yours though. Maybe you need to do some DSDT editing or use patched ACPI kexts. I don't remember anymore if I did anything special to get it working on mine, it's been a long time and I didn't take notes. :)

It's hard to find useful information if you're running Snow Leopard on "old iron". Easier to find stuff for Leopard. Maybe you can adapt whatever you find for Snow Leopard.

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to install & boot on my D865GBF mobo.

use these commands

cpus=1 -v arch=i386

for safe mode add a -x in the end.

I used Hazard's 10.6.1_10.6.2 DVD.

Do give it a try.

Great. But it sucks having to disable HT, surely you will see a performance decrease.

FWIW, hyperthreading works on my old P4 hackintosh, but it's running 10.5.8 with the 9.8.0 qoopz kernel.

The motherboard has the same chipset family as yours, the i865PE.

You can check whether HT is working by running Activity Monitor, there should be two CPU usage windows.

I don't know what you can do to get it working on yours though. Maybe you need to do some DSDT editing or use patched ACPI kexts. I don't remember anymore if I did anything special to get it working on mine, it's been a long time and I didn't take notes. :rolleyes:

It's hard to find useful information if you're running Snow Leopard on "old iron". Easier to find stuff for Leopard. Maybe you can adapt whatever you find for Snow Leopard.

Good Luck.

Can you guide me through the installation for Leopard.

I am currently downloading iATKOSv7 10.5.7

I need to know what kexts to use during installation( I have no Idea what to use except few Drivers which I know)

My current specs

Intel D865GBF mobo (mPGA 478 socket)

Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz processor with HT

1280MB DDR RAM 400Mhz

RTL8139 lan card

ATi HD3650 AGP

SoundMAX AD1985 audio

2 IDE DVD Drives

1 IDE 40GB Maxtor( for OS X)

1 SATA 1TB Hitachi for Storage.

PS/2 Keyboard

USB mouse.

Please help

Thanks & regards.

• 4 months later...

I also have several D865GLC boards. All have hyperthreading CPUs in them and I was getting (somewhat) random kernel panics.

Thank Hariharan for the tip:

I was able to install & boot on my D865GBF mobo.

use these commands

cpus=1 -v arch=i386

However, doesn't this essentially do the same thing as disabling hyperthreading? I have not yet found a way to fix this problem. Can't it be fixed by editing the HPET device in my dsdt? The problem is, I can't get these boards to enable the HPET. Anyone know how I can do that?