ZAMMYKOO G5 Case Mod (No cuts)

zammykoo

64 posts in this topic

zammykoo, how did you keep the PCI cards inside the motherboard? I was thinking surely gravity will pull the heavy graphics card and other pci cards and will put loads of stress on the motherboard? So a motherboard tray with a PCI brackey thingy is needed?

If you have this, where did you buy one? I'm trying to find one now and Lian Li's ones are all sold out

this is what I am trying to look for:

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2010.html

dolan, I custom fabbed my own aluminum bracket that 'hangs' the graphics card to the ceiling divider. It works quite well, and also did not need to drill any holes in the case because I shared the same screw holes as the hdd tray.

You can kind of see it here, but I can post more pics if needed

post-764180-1306179871_thumb.jpg

And yes, I am using a mobo tray.... I didn't buy mine because I salvaged an old pc case I had, severed the mobo side panel off with an angle grinder :)

I also had the PCI support holder installed initially, but decided to replace it with the custom bracket to improve airflow.

I picked up another case zammy.

So now I have three others and of course the one I have done with my hack in. I am thinking of doing a how too on a cut mod and a no cut mod. I will use you board but wait a bit before I go in the waiting list, I have to get things ready. What I was thinking was setting them up for all hardware and then throwing them on eBay ready to have hardware installed for those who don't want to do it. I might also snag a Mac Pro and try a mod with that one as well. We shale see.

The one the was bent on shipping I straightened out and now all I have to do is JB weld the screw studs back into there openings. Hopefully I can recoup some money by selling all the other parts to these machines lol.

eelhead,

very nice! was it hard to straighten it out? what did you use?

I've been really thinking about Mac Pro's as well. I am not sure about the amount of ppl who would want to do a no-cut MP mod. What do you think?

Well the middle section was a slight pain in the ass to take apart but once out you have enough room to hand straighten the lower legs/stands. I used nothing but my hands to bend them back into shape. I was kinda worried but after moving the aluminum some realized that it's really soft to move about.

I'm not sure about the MP, I really think that the G5 is just roomier for what we want to do. I like the idea of dual optical drives but the PSU placement drives me nuts lol, I like the PSU on the bottom.

I will see about getting my hands on one like I said and going from there about no cut mod on that case. I honestly think a no cut might be better with a MP.

i see i see, very interesting.. with your aluminium hand made bracket thingy... would all the PCI cards rest on top of each other? isnt that abit hard for the motherboard?

Well it probably won't work if you use more than one card, not this design at least, since I made it to support just the graphic card's weight.

Maybe if you drill holes down the side of the bracket, so when you install more cards you can screw them in place.

Hey zammy.

Right, I'm now planning to sell the g5 case I've modded so I've installed a tact switch for the disk drive.

How did you make that metal rod stick to the end of your tact switch, unfortunately whilst buying the switch i wasn't really thinking and went for one with a rubber button with a little dimple on it. So it doesn't reach through the holes in the g5 case but i do have a large surface to glue too.

Next, how did you actually stick the whole tact switch assemble to the side of the case? I would like to put mine where eelhead put his, under the carry handle. But did you just glue yours to the top of your disk drive so it was through the front of the case when the disk drive was installed?

Cheers gus.

Gus, you are selling your case?? Are you planning on getting something else?

I super glued the metal rod to my switch and mounted the the switch board to the ceiling of the case with heavy duty double sided tape (i love this stuff). That way if I need to replace my optical drive, my switch is not in the way.

Hope that helps!

Yeah, going to sell it all. So its a completely modded case with internals. And yeah, i do want to get another g5 and do it differently, mATX, Zammykoo rear io, front panel cable, power supply inside original housing. That sorta thing. But i have so many projects i want to start.

Anyway, so can you see the tape through the holes in the case? I want to avoid them being filled with glue if i use it. I have double sided foam tape, but i don't know if it would be strong enough. I'm also really annoyed i didnt put a connector in the circuit somewhere, allowing the cd drive to be removed without removing the tact switch.

Gus, the tape is pretty much impossible to see because it is wedged in between the case ceiling and the switch board. Better yet, you can't really even see the switch board because of the narrow gap between the disc drive and the ceiling.

And for the tape... you are right, you should use something heavier duty than foam tape. The kind I have is for automotive use, 3M brand. I'm sure you can find it at a local auto parts store.

Also looking forward to your new build!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I'm planning of doing the same "no-cut G5 mod" soon.

zammykoo, would you mind to help me a bit if I ask you few things about the front i/o wiring and the rear i/o wiring when I'll start my mod ?

The project has not started yet though.

Thanks a lot ^^.

I'm looking forward to make my own no-cut G5 mod. Like the challenge !

Do you think that making a front i/o panel to ATX cable and the rear i/o panel soldering part are hard tasks for "common" people ?

I mean, I'm good at following tutorial and I have the basic understanding about soldering and wiring but it will be my first time doing something like this.

Challenges are good, I love them. I think you'll be fine as long as you know what you're doing, understanding of the task at hand.

There are lots to consider when doing a mac case mod because there are many ways to skin a cat. I did tons of research (two months worth, on and off) before even starting the project. I didn't want to get stuck in a situation that I couldn't figure out a plan for. So thoroughness is the key.

Now I know you are asking specifically about the ports. I think you can easily do the rear ports hacksaw mod that I did if you have the original logicboard. Although I'd recommend something that cuts cleaner, like an angle grinder. And just have a multimeter handy so you can figure out the pins.

If you feel that this task is a bit harder than you originally thought, you have the option to purchase pre-made parts from the forum members. I am building and selling custom rear IO ports (link in my signature). And for the front ports, I didn't want to deal with it so I bought one from AlohaCab in the US. Gus.Carrie is also selling them if you'd like to buy from UK.

I know how to build basic pc in normal pc case.

I've been reading and searching informations about the front and rear i/o panels for weeks now and as I don't want to cut the G5 case, your mod is one of the best I've seen till now.

I could buy pre-made cable and rear i/o panel but it would not be a challenge anymore as it is the most difficult part, isn't it ?

Now that you said you could help, I feel more comfortable to start this mod.

Do you think a dremel tool would do the cut job as nice as an angle grinder ?

My biggest concern actually is about the ethernet port ^^.

I believe a dremel would work, I'm not sure what kind of cutting disc is best though (I am still experimenting with mine). I found the angle grinder really quick to cut. Have you cut pcb boards with the dremel before?

Nope ;)

I watch some video mods over the internet and the guys cut aluminium, plastic, ... almost anything with it.

So I guess it's possible with the right shaft.

You should be aware that cutting pcb is a bit more difficult than plastic or aluminum, since it is made of fiberglass. That stuff can eat up your blade quick if you are not using the right one.

Thanks for the info.

Just don't sure that getting an angle grinder just for this mod is the best choice for me.

Anyway, I'll make sure to get the right tools before hand.

Oh of course, I wasn't expecting you to get an angle grinder just for that ;)

If you go the dremel route, I believe you'll need a diamond wheel for best results.

Thanks for the tip :)

I will surely begin the mod at the end of this month, beginning of July.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm gonna start the project this week-end !

Mobo came already, I'll get the other parts this friday.

First step : make the front i/o cable. Shouldn't be too hard :)

I'll keep you posted when I'll start to work on the rear i/o ports.