OS X Won't Boot With Triple Channel

lordreye

20 posts in this topic

Hi guys-

I built this system over a year ago and it's been running great. I just attempted to go from 8gigs of RAM to 12gigs and MacOS fails to boot. I ran a number of tests: 1) it boots fine and recognizes all 12 gigs in win7, 2) I ran memtest and all 12gigs passed, 3) I put 6gigs in triple channel configuration and it fails there as well.

So my conclusion is that it fails if I run my RAM in triple channel mode. Can anyone think of anything that might cause this?

System:

MB: EVGA X58 LE

CPU: 920 @3.8Ghz

RAM: Corsair Dominator 1600 2gig DIMMS

GPU: EVGA 9800 GTX

Running 64bit kernel

In smbios.plist I have the following, if it matters:

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>24</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro4,1</string>

Thanks for the help

Oh here's a snap of where it hangs in the boot process with -v -f flags in case that helps:

post-423211-1300118518_thumb.jpg

Hi guys-

I built this system over a year ago and it's been running great. I just attempted to go from 8gigs of RAM to 12gigs and MacOS fails to boot. I ran a number of tests: 1) it boots fine and recognizes all 12 gigs in win7, 2) I ran memtest and all 12gigs passed, 3) I put 6gigs in triple channel configuration and it fails there as well.

So my conclusion is that it fails if I run my RAM in triple channel mode. Can anyone think of anything that might cause this?

System:

MB: EVGA X58 LE

CPU: 920 @3.8Ghz

RAM: Corsair Dominator 1600 2gig DIMMS

GPU: EVGA 9800 GTX

Running 64bit kernel

In smbios.plist I have the following, if it matters:

<key>SMmemtype</key>

<string>24</string>

<key>SMproductname</key>

<string>MacPro4,1</string>

Thanks for the help

Oh here's a snap of where it hangs in the boot process with -v -f flags in case that helps:

post-423211-1300118518_thumb.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145224

I just want to be sure you mean DDR3 triple channel memory.

I find something odd that 8GB worked and 6GB did not. Did you consult your mobo manual

for the correct slots to install triple channel memory into? It can be counter-intuitive. If you

have room for 6 x 2GB sticks of ram, then you probably have 3 banks of memory with 2 slots

available in each bank. I think which slots you install the three DDR3 triple channel sticks matters.

At least according to my mobo manual. I have 6x2GB ddr3 triple channel installed and working in SL.

For six GB of ram (3 sticks) it says to be sure to install them in DDR#_1, DDR_3 and DDR_5 sockets.

------DDR2

------DDR1

------DDR4

------DDR3

------DDR6

------DDR5

DDR5 is close to the edge of my mobo, and DDR2 is towards the center. I think it would be easy

to make a mistake and populate the ram into DDR2, DDR4 and DDR6.

For 8GB of triple channel it's DDR#_1, DDR_3 and DDR_5 and the fourth stick goes into DDR2.

If when you had 8GB or ram working, you had the sticks installed consecutively like,

------DDR2 x

------DDR1 x

------DDR4 x

------DDR3 x

then that was not a triple channel configuration, but I think a dual channel configuration, although

triple channel can work there as dual channel, just not triple channel.

Also ram is matched in the package (usually 3 for triple channel) if you get two packages then the rams can be slightly different, manufacturer packaging error. So to check for that, you have to compare the model number of the ram even if they are both DDR3/triple channel/1600 because Corsair makes more than one version of this memory at different prices.

Well, that exhausts what I know about the hardware side. However, that when all the slots are filled that is also a correct DDR3 triple channel configuration because 12 is divisible by 3.

I don't have much idea of what is wrong on the software/configuration side. Not solutions, just putting thoughts on the table, I've seen install guides that recommend installing SL with only 4GB

of memory and then adding more memory back in after the installation, apparently as you have done. I've seen a couple of settings somewhere, maxmem=4096 and maxmem=8192; I think that was a boot setting in boot.plist, you might see if you have a boot.plist and what is in there. My system has cosmetic memory errors, wrong frequency and at times wrong amount, but that doesn't stop it from booting.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145224

Hey thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Perhaps I'm incorrect on this, but I don't beleive there is "triple channel memory"... just memory that I'm running in a triple channel configuration or not. As it happens, I originally purchased a "dual channel memory kit" as it consisted of 4 dimms, and now am adding two more dimms to the system. Windows 7 does boot correctly and report triple channel with all 6 dimms in the box (it also boots fine with a dual channel configuration).

I find something odd that 8GB worked and 6GB did not. Did you consult your mobo manual

for the correct slots to install triple channel memory into? It can be counter-intuitive. If you

have room for 6 x 2GB sticks of ram, then you probably have 3 banks of memory with 2 slots

available in each bank. I think which slots you install the three DDR3 triple channel sticks matters.

At least according to my mobo manual. I have 6x2GB ddr3 triple channel installed and working in SL.

For six GB of ram (3 sticks) it says to be sure to install them in DDR#_1, DDR_3 and DDR_5 sockets.

------DDR2

------DDR1

------DDR4

------DDR3

------DDR6

------DDR5

DDR5 is close to the edge of my mobo, and DDR2 is towards the center. I think it would be easy

to make a mistake and populate the ram into DDR2, DDR4 and DDR6.

For 8GB of triple channel it's DDR#_1, DDR_3 and DDR_5 and the fourth stick goes into DDR2.

If when you had 8GB or ram working, you had the sticks installed consecutively like,

------DDR2 x

------DDR1 x

------DDR4 x

------DDR3 x

then that was not a triple channel configuration, but I think a dual channel configuration, although

triple channel can work there as dual channel, just not triple channel.

A good check for sure. My MB supports dual and triple channel configurations. It has 6 total slots and for triple channel, you put either 3 dimms in every other slot, or fill all 6 slots. For dual channel, you put the ram in pairs next to each other. It works fine in dual channel, but when I either put the three in every other slot or fill all 6 slots, macos just hangs on boot.

Also ram is matched in the package (usually 3 for triple channel) if you get two packages then the rams can be slightly different, manufacturer packaging error. So to check for that, you have to compare the model number of the ram even if they are both DDR3/triple channel/1600 because Corsair makes more than one version of this memory at different prices.

All 6 DIMMS are DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24. I also did confirm that the ram is all good by 1) running memtest and all 12 passed and 2) Everything works normally if I boot with 4 of my 8 gigs using the new ram.

Well, that exhausts what I know about the hardware side. However, that when all the slots are filled that is also a correct DDR3 triple channel configuration because 12 is divisible by 3.

I don't have much idea of what is wrong on the software/configuration side. Not solutions, just putting thoughts on the table, I've seen install guides that recommend installing SL with only 4GB

of memory and then adding more memory back in after the installation, apparently as you have done. I've seen a couple of settings somewhere, maxmem=4096 and maxmem=8192; I think that was a boot setting in boot.plist, you might see if you have a boot.plist and what is in there. My system has cosmetic memory errors, wrong frequency and at times wrong amount, but that doesn't stop it from booting.

Hmm I haven't seen those settings for the boot.plist but that looks like a limiter or identifier of some type. I'll dig around on that setting in case there's something there. I suspect that won't fix it solely because I can boot now with any amount of ram as long as it's in dual channel mode.

Thanks again for the reply... the only thing I have left that I think I can try is to down-clock everything to stock just to make sure there's not something there, but that doesn't seem likely since it works fine in Win7... it really feels like a software issue, not hardware.

QUOTE (mulcyber @ Mar 15 2011, 12:53 AM) post_snapback.gifhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145224

Hey thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Perhaps I'm incorrect on this, but I don't beleive there is "triple channel memory"... just memory that I'm running in a triple channel configuration or not. As it happens, I originally purchased a "dual channel memory kit" as it consisted of 4 dimms, and now am adding two more dimms to the system. Windows 7 does boot correctly and report triple channel with all 6 dimms in the box (it also boots fine with a dual channel configuration).

I'm a computer tech and I don't believe I've ever seen where Windows 7 reports triple channel and I also have 12 GB of ram, triple channel, (as it happens also in triple-channel-mode). Where is that?

Well, I provided the link to NewEgg selling Corsair memory just to establish this point.

"CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TR3X6G1600C8D"

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Channel-Memo...9/dp/B002LE8D2A

Corsair 4GB Dual Channel Corsair DDR3 Memory for Intel Core i5 Processors (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple-channel_architecture

"Triple-channel architecture describes a technology that theoretically increases the data throughput to speeds greater than that of its predecessor, dual-channel architecture.

"DDR3 triple-channel architecture is used in the Intel Core i7-900 series (the Intel Core i7-800 series only support up to dual-channel), which are used on the LGA 1366 platform (e.g., Intel X58). AMD Socket AM3 processors do not use the DDR3 triple-channel architecture but instead use dual-channel DDR3 memory."

lordreye wrote: "So my conclusion is that it fails if I run my RAM in triple channel mode. Can anyone think of anything that might cause this?"

Triple-channel architecture means that each ram stick has physically three channels to interweave. Dual-channel architecture means there are physically two channels to interweave.

Triple-Channel-mode refers to how you populate the sockets, like every other one to begin with.

Dual-Channel-mode should use dual-channel ram and follow that installation procedure.

You cannot run dual-channel memory in triple-channel-mode because triple-channel-mode requires ram with 3 channels to interweave and the correct order of populating the sockets; I mean by that the advantage comes from 3 available channels, and not two available channels inserted so that they observe the triple-channel-mode installation order. My mobo manual says if you are installing four sticks of DDR dual-channel ram (which you say you have) that you install them consecutively, DDR_2 / DDR_1 / DDR_4 /DDR_3, not in an every other pattern used for triple-channel ram.

Now if you have 12 gigs of ram installed, 6 x 2GB, the way you install them turns out to be the same way for DDR3 dual-channel ram and for DDR3 triple-channel ram, all the slots are filled.

This works because dual-channel ram is installed 2 modules at a time 2 x 6, and triple-channel ram is installed 3 at a time, 3 x 4, both equal 12. 24 gigs of ram will match up again. But that doesn't mean you will ever get the advantage that an extra physical channel available for interweaving provides. Each stick of dual-channel has one less channel than triple-channel to transmit signal.

That means it's nothing to do with triple-channel-mode, it's the amount of ram.

Less than 12 GB of ram recognized or won't even boot could be due to putting the ram in the wrong slots. But that can't be your mistake if all 6 slots are utilized.

I also boot Windows and this information in the screenshot below uses free CPU-Z.

I have 12GB like you, but my ram is triple-channel which is the kind of memory it is, not in

what order the memory was installed or which slots. Under Memory, cpuz says channels # triple.

If you try this, I think your report will say channels # double.

Next, under SPD, check each of six slots and see if your Part number is the same for all six slots, one can use the down arrow key to see the other (6)slot informations. I want to know if you ordered the same part number of ram now, as you did originally, or are the part numbers different. That is not same as determining whether the ram is good, which I believe you. I'll think on the other stuff.

post-689921-1300256273_thumb.png

post-689921-1300256288_thumb.png

A good check for sure. My MB supports dual and triple channel configurations. It has 6 total slots and for triple channel, you put either 3 dimms in every other slot, or fill all 6 slots. For dual channel, you put the ram in pairs next to each other. It works fine in dual channel, but when I either put the three in every other slot or fill all 6 slots, macos just hangs on boot.

You have DDR3 dual-channel ram. They don't work in every other slot, that requires triple-channel ram which I went into in my post before this one. Not working with all slots filled is a different mystery.

All 6 DIMMS are DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24. I also did confirm that the ram is all good by 1) running memtest and all 12 passed and 2) Everything works normally if I boot with 4 of my 8 gigs using the new ram.

Hmm I haven't seen those settings for the boot.plist but that looks like a limiter or identifier of some type. I'll dig around on that setting in case there's something there. I suspect that won't fix it solely because I can boot now with any amount of ram as long as it's in dual channel mode.

When you install just two stick of 2G DDR dual-channel, the correct way is to alternate them,

not consecutively as when you have more ram.. It just appears to be the same as installing in triple-channel-mode, but it isn't. With triple-channel-mode one always has to install 3 sticks of ram, not two.

When you say "I can boot now with any amount of ram as long as it's in dual channel mode"

do you mean in Mac also? That the original problem you reported was of not being able to boot

in Mac at all, has disappeared? If so, then everything is working right. It's not possible to have a

triple-channel-mode booting problem when you don't have triple-channel memory, and you don't.

If you read a bit further in wikipedia, you'll see that triple vs. dual channel isn't established by the RAM, it's a function of the chipset.

The architecture can only be used when all three, or a multiple of three, memory modules are identical in capacity and speed, and are placed in three-channel slots. When two memory modules are installed, the architecture will operate in dual-channel mode.[2]

Triple-channel can only be achieved on supporting motherboards and processors, since they implement the feature, not the RAM.

In Windows, like you, I see that the RAM is in a triple channel configuration using a third-party utility... in my case the EVGA E-LEET Tuning Utility.

The issue isn't the RAM and it's not how I'm putting it in the motherboard. It's an issue related to the fact that I'm booting OS X on a non-mac... a hackintosh issue. It's in Chameleon or in a disabler or something like that. If no one has any clever thoughts I'll install the latest Chameleon; I've held off thus far as I'm on a mirrored array and it's easy to screw it up if you don't do it just right.

If you read a bit further in wikipedia, you'll see that triple vs. dual channel isn't established by the RAM, it's a function of the chipset.

In Windows, like you, I see that the RAM is in a triple channel configuration using a third-party utility... in my case the EVGA E-LEET Tuning Utility.

The issue isn't the RAM and it's not how I'm putting it in the motherboard. It's an issue related to the fact that I'm booting OS X on a non-mac... a hackintosh issue. It's in Chameleon or in a disabler or something like that. If no one has any clever thoughts I'll install the latest Chameleon; I've held off thus far as I'm on a mirrored array and it's easy to screw it up if you don't do it just right.

I stand corrected. However, I read your posts again and I didn't notice that you said the ram was identical.

"How should triple channel DDR3 based memory be installed?

In order to take full advantage of a system running in triple channel mode, the memory modules should be installed or upgraded in sets of three identical modules (same speed and capacity). Modules need to be installed in the first bank and users must follow any specific requirements set by the motherboard manufacturer. The second set of three memory modules (if the motherboard allows it) should also be identical and installed in the same way. To help separate bank 1 from bank 2, motherboard manufacturers usually use different colours to identify different banks.

The modules in bank 1 do not need to be of the same capacity as the modules installed in bank 2. However, if identical speeds or capacities are not installed within a single bank, the system will automatically revert to single channel or dual channel operation, regardless of module configuration."

My mobo manual say, "2. When enabling 3 channel mode with three, four, or six modules, it is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips (which is why I asked about Product ID) be used."

I thought it was possible that in your triple-channel-mode testings that you might not have kept your new ram segregated. So if you didn't keep the new ram in the same bank, and it wasn't identical to the old ram, then you would have two banks which did not contain identical memory, thus run as dual-mode.

But as my quote says, ..."the system will automatically revert to single channel or dual channel operation, regardless of module configuration." The memory would still test good, but not operate as triple-channel. I don't know what info your Evga tool provides. Cpuz gives quite a bit of information slot by slot, so you can tell if each bank has identical matching memory. My six slots all have identical matching memory.

I think the reason for this recommendation is that not all motherboards are created equal, some are fussier than others. That leads to system information reporting software, some functions are buggy. I don't think inferences made from such reports can be heavily relied upon. After all, this kind of software typically makes no tests itself; it accesses and reports information from other sources. Take [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] for instance. When I was learning about what to choose, I've made choices that resulted in Profiler showing I had a Xeon cpu installed; 12GB ram at 400mz; 12GB at 667; 2GB at 1333 and 12 GB at 1333. It still worked. I think I got the most accurate information with Netkas, not [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. I mean some info seen is cosmetic and not obtained by original detection.

BTW, I have two drives, the second with SL. I have Cham 2.0 RC4 and have tried to upgrade to RC5 unsuccessfully.

I don't like to ask questions when people are looking for answers. And I'll delve into this more deeply after I post this. But, I know I have 12 GB of ram functioning. I can't remember ever seeing either dual-channel or triple-channel reported under Memory in SL. I will look again. Are you using a 3rd party reporting utility? If you are inferring it from a failure to boot properly when testing from Mac and 3 sticks of ram, triple-channel mode, did you use all old sticks known to be identical, thereby eliminating the chance that one bank didn't contain a mismatched new memory stick?

EDIT: I just checked under memory in system profiler. It reports that I have DDR2 ram! My mobo can't use DDR2 ram it has to use DDR3. So I know that discrepancy is cosmetic and not reporting what SL is actually doing. I fixed it by editing smbios.plist. After the edit my system did hang quite a bit, but finally opened the Desktop, but the mouse would click without effect on the different choices. Another reboot fixed that. It still doesn't inform one of either dual-channel or triple-channel status of memory in SL anywhere I can see.

There is a real physical difference between DDR2 and DDR3 ram quite apart from triple-channel mode.

"DDR2 and DDR3 are improvements on the same technology and further increase the number of data transfers per clock cycle. DDR2 RAM provides 4 data transfers per cycle, while DDR3 increases the number to 8."

I looked at your mobo manual and the memory installation instructions match up with those given in my manual.

All the ram is DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24 2-gig sticks. Same kind and speed and even brand. The MB can indeed run in either dual or triple channel configuration. It's not the RAM, as I've proven the ram works correctly using both memtest and windows.

Anyone else have any ideas?

All the ram is DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24 2-gig sticks. Same kind and speed and even brand. The MB can indeed run in either dual or triple channel configuration. It's not the RAM, as I've proven the ram works correctly using both memtest and windows.

Anyone else have any ideas?

My alter ego, TeXtonyx, thought of this,

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=83836&mpage=1

X58 SLI LE Memory Bank Problems

OP had only 6GB of ram installed, and was using only Windows 7 x64.

Dual channel worked, and triple channel mode did not, and he

posted how he installed the ram for triple channel, and it was right.

I've seen the term "remapping memory" used in a related Bios issue

and in a discussion of Chameleon and Rekursor's RC5. Good Luck

My alter ego, TeXtonyx, thought of this,

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=83836&mpage=1

X58 SLI LE Memory Bank Problems

OP had only 6GB of ram installed, and was using only Windows 7 x64.

Dual channel worked, and triple channel mode did not, and he

posted how he installed the ram for triple channel, and it was right.

I've seen the term "remapping memory" used in a related Bios issue

and in a discussion of Chameleon and Rekursor's RC5. Good Luck

Thanks, except both the bios and Windows see all 12 gigs in my case. The ram is fine and it's installed correctly and works great (in windows).

Thanks, except both the bios and Windows see all 12 gigs in my case. The ram is fine and it's installed correctly and works great (in windows).

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=6754&mpage=1

Triple Channel on x58 sli le ThereISNOwayout4415 wrote:

"I'm running a 920 i7 with a 850 psu, gtx 285, corsair dominator ddr3 6g kit and i cant get it to run with all three dimms."

This indicates something fundamentally wrong, which is not created by Hackintosh, but will be prone to exacerbation with a Hackintosh install. For instance tonymacx86 gave instructions to remove all but 4 gigs of memory for the initial install and add it back in later.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversi...t172548-50.html

wcrankshaw Aug 26 2009, 08:55 PM "Hello - I've successfully (somewhat) installed retail 10.5.7 on a similar setup. I've got an EVGA X58 SLI LE board with Core i7, 6 GB triple channel RAM (3x2GB), and two 1TB HDDs. When booting from Chameleon 2 in verbose mode everything goes smoothly until the line

AppleTyMCEDriver: :start memory monitor through MCA Then it freezes for all eternity."

Recognize that? In your first post you included a screenshot. And your boot halted at the same point according to your screenshot: Number of cpus = 8 memory monitor through MCA"

You could try renaming AppleTyMCEDriver.kext to *.bak and removing that kext. It has caused problems.

So besides your mobo, there are three other same mobo cases where triple-channel-mode doesn't work. You said you had Hackintosh working with 8GB or ram, but you didn't say that 8GB or ram was installed in a triple-channel slot configuration.

You mention it works in Windows. There is a large majority of hardware that works in Windows and not in Hackintosh, that's the expected rule. And in the minority side where the hardware works with both OS, Hackintosh often has some degree of limited functionality.

Your mobo is somewhat problematic with Windows and triple-channel (maybe the Integrated Memory Controller) and if you combine that with the Hackintosh poor memory detection, then your result is not all that unanticipated. So the advice WCrankshaw received was (?!),

"you need to edit your smbios.plist to say MacPro2,1 instead of 4,1

also make sure its that way in your com.apple.boot.plist"

You could try booting in safe mode. May not work, but if it does, then maybe you can safely remove that which offendeth thee. :)

If you're using a DSDT.aml you need to re-extract it with all your RAM installed and apply your patches again. Some address ranges change depending on how much memory is installed.

Until then you can still boot with maxmem=4096 or whatever amount you had installed before, there should be no need to physically remove RAM.

EDIT

Sorry, I didn't think that through. Probably the maxmem switch will not help when memory addresses don't match in actual DSDT and patched DSDT.aml.

Don't extract your DSDT in OS X, you will be extracting the already patched DSDT.

Boot in Windows with all RAM installed and use Lavalys Everest Corporate/Ultimate Edition (old version still available for download at the Lavalys website) to extract your new DSDT, and apply your patches to it.

See Everest screenshots here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1468558

If you're using a DSDT.aml you need to re-extract it with all your RAM installed and apply your patches again. Some address ranges change depending on how much memory is installed.

Until then you can still boot with maxmem=4096 or whatever amount you had installed before, there should be no need to physically remove RAM.

Thanks for the insight, I couldn't get good handle on the problem.

Thanks man. When I first ran into the problem I thought it might have something to do with the DSDT and I moved my dsdt.aml out of the /extra folder, but that had no discernible affect.

I gave a quick try late last night and put in maxmem=8192 as an argument at boot but it failed to boot in the same spot and I ran out of time to try further. Do I need to put this into my smbios? My other thought was that if I can't get it to boot using the maxmem flag, perhaps I can extract the dsdt while booted into windows with all the ram installed, pull the extra ram, boot into osx, install the dsdt into /extra, install the ram and boot up.

Thanks man. When I first ran into the problem I thought it might have something to do with the DSDT and I moved my dsdt.aml out of the /extra folder, but that had no discernible affect.

Perhaps this will be useful at some point.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=245836

This is a small tool I've made for Snow Leopard to update my raid 0 Boot OS X partitions with extensions cache, etc on shutdown and restart that I'm sharing for anyone who needs it

Update 07/02/2011: New version added v1.05 - Fix for the duplicate dsdt.aml

----------------------------------------------------

Yeah, for Raid users this was a pain in the ass to manually do the things to update Boot OSX volumes and when new updates come I often forget to to it and then on reboot it would cause several errors on boot because of different kernel and extensions cache.

Now it´s much better and easy. No more time spent doing manually stuff, no worries at all

Perhaps this will be useful at some point.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=245836

This is a small tool I've made for Snow Leopard to update my raid 0 Boot OS X partitions with extensions cache, etc on shutdown and restart that I'm sharing for anyone who needs it

Update 07/02/2011: New version added v1.05 - Fix for the duplicate dsdt.aml

----------------------------------------------------

Yeah, for Raid users this was a pain in the ass to manually do the things to update Boot OSX volumes and when new updates come I often forget to to it and then on reboot it would cause several errors on boot because of different kernel and extensions cache.

Now it´s much better and easy. No more time spent doing manually stuff, no worries at all

That tool might be handy, thanks.

EDIT

Sorry, I didn't think that through. Probably the maxmem switch will not help when memory addresses don't match in actual DSDT and patched DSDT.aml.

Don't extract your DSDT in OS X, you will be extracting the already patched DSDT.

Boot in Windows with all RAM installed and use Lavalys Everest Corporate/Ultimate Edition (old version still available for download at the Lavalys website) to extract your new DSDT, and apply your patches to it.

See Everest screenshots here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1468558

Well I've got it working and it turns out it was just that last kext in my bootup screenshot: AppleTyMCEDriver.kext. I've identified my machine as 4,1 in smbios and apparently that plus triple-channel memory config = won't boot. Apparently that kext is for Intel SpeedStep support, which I have turned off in my BIOS anyway, so I just disabled that kext and I'm good to go!

Thanks again to you both for the help!

• 10 months later...

Hi i have the same problem. i have osx lion installed on sad hard disk....if i start without try channel the system start.....with try channel of ddr3 corsair dominator 3x2 gb 2000, the system not start. Can you help me? the system start with triple channel only recovery mode with -x