Does the Darwin Bootloader find Mac OS X on a Firewire Volume?

BuXb

6 posts in this topic

Hi there. I am asking because when I tried to boot Mac OS x86 from my USB, our Darwin bootloader does not "see" any of the Volumes on the USB drive. Neither does my Toshiba Laptop's BIOS offer "boot from USB" - not even with the latest BIOS version, unfortunately. I would not really like to install Grub or Acronis Bootloader just to boot from my USB, I would much rather stick with the current working solution (= Windows XP bootloader + Chain0 + Darwin Bootloader) which boots my Mac OS x86 install from my laptop's SATA drive.

If any of you successfully boot your hackintosh from a firewire drive I would go ahead and purchase this awesome external case for a 2.5" SATA drive which offers USB 2.0, FW 400 + FW 800 .. :)

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Bugs.

hm, but you are not sure. How come anyway our darwin bootloader recognizes xATA volumes, but not USB? Isn't it possible to tweak the bootloader to do so, or is there maybe even a patched version out there somewhere?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also very interested in this.

I installed OSX86 on an external Firewire-Volume and everything went fine.

But I'm unable to boot from this volume, because the bootloader will not recognize it.

My specs are as shown in the signature.

The MSI-Board I use does not have firewire onboard.

So I use a PCI-solution instead. It runs fine as soon as OSX is loaded (on the internal SATA-Volume).

Any suggestions?