Disk Insertion Error

Matej

58 posts in this topic

Don't bother with my script, it is crude at best. The best and simpliest solutions is from gecko a few posts up:

gecko wrote: "setting sata to AHCI resolves the issue"

Thanks gecko!

This is a simple bios setting (on the first subpage of the BIOS). If you let the BIOS identify the Sata drive(s) using AHCI instead of having the drives act like standard EIDE drives, then the "Config Disk" thing never happens. That must be what I did in the BIOS when I first got rid of the problem. Then I had added a couple Sata drives with MacOS on them and made some BIOS changes to get things kind of working again, when I did, the Config Disk thing came back (I had changed the Satas to EIDE instead of AHCI). So I tried gecko's suggestion yesterday and the notification error under MacOS X went away. At that point, however, when I booted WinXP from a jMicron IDE drive, my MacDrive software no longer saw the Mac drives on the Sata ports. When I first installed WinXP, I did not have Sata drives hooked up, so apparently the driver needed to see the AHCI Sata drives was not pre-installed. So, re-installed Asus device drivers to fix that. Now everything works fine under both operating systems.

Everything on my P5W DH Deluxe board works perfectly now (except wifi, which I understand a universal binary driver for it is soon to be released too).

This forum rocks!

If you can use AHCI then that is great because I think it is native SATA and allows the disk to use features like NCQ so you might get better performance with this setting. I tried to use the AHCI setting ages ago when first setting up macosx but unfortunately for me it did not work for my set up. I found I had to set the following:

configure sata as: standard ide (other options: ahci, raid)

onboard ide operate mode: enhanced mode (others: compatible, disable)

enhanced mode support on: s-ata (others s-ata+p-ata, p-ata)

If I did not set this, I had problems booting macosx (I am using grub as a boot loader if that makes any difference) as well as problems with installing linux and windows on the same drive (they could not see the full capacity of the partitions). More details of the problems I had here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=234570

I suppose that now I have windows and linux installed, I might be able to update the windows asus device drivers and linux kernel so that they could see the full capacity of their partitions with AHCI, but I suspect I would still have problems with booting macosx. I think I will leave it as is because it is not too broken.

Just thought I would post this in case other people have similar problems to me with AHCI.

• 4 months later...

mine does this too.

primary hd is 500gb wd

sometimes on bootup it complains with this exact error, the 320kb config disk

has anyone figured out how to get rid of it w/o using the ezbackup port?

mine are all already on ahci.

• 2 months later...

I've got this issue and I've been spending hours trying to fix it with no luck.

All I can see is the IDE drive Mac is on. No IDE dvd rom. No sata drives. :P

I get "DISK INSERTION.. The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer" for both of the Sata drives. They show up in Disk utility, but most options are greyed out.

My specs

---------

Dell Optiplex GX620

Intel Pentium D 820 (2.80GHz) MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T

Motherboard - Dell 0HH807

Chipset - Intel i945G/GZ

BIOS - Dell A07

Drives

------

PATA 0 - 74.5GB IDE (ST38001A) Pri,Act. <-Mac OSX 10.4.9 JAS

PATA 1 - SONY CDRWDVD CRX310EE

SATA 0 - 74.5GB (WD800ADFD-75NLR1) NTFS Pri,Act. <-Windows XP pro SP2 and (Acronis OS Selector)

SATA 1 - 500GB (WD5000AAKS-00TMA0) NTFS Pri <-Storage drive

My Sata drives are not set up as a raid. Just standalone.

There's no AHCI option in my Bios for my Sata Drives. On my Dell laptop, All drives show up fine (DVD)(Windows Partition NTFS readable).

And since my DVD drive is not showing up, I don't have a way to get any files onto the Mac OS :D Anyone got any Ideas on how to get these baby's working?

Don't bother with my script, it is crude at best. The best and simpliest solutions is from gecko a few posts up:

gecko wrote: "setting sata to AHCI resolves the issue"

Thanks gecko!

This is a simple bios setting (on the first subpage of the BIOS). If you let the BIOS identify the Sata drive(s) using AHCI instead of having the drives act like standard EIDE drives, then the "Config Disk" thing never happens. That must be what I did in the BIOS when I first got rid of the problem. Then I had added a couple Sata drives with MacOS on them and made some BIOS changes to get things kind of working again, when I did, the Config Disk thing came back (I had changed the Satas to EIDE instead of AHCI). So I tried gecko's suggestion yesterday and the notification error under MacOS X went away. At that point, however, when I booted WinXP from a jMicron IDE drive, my MacDrive software no longer saw the Mac drives on the Sata ports. When I first installed WinXP, I did not have Sata drives hooked up, so apparently the driver needed to see the AHCI Sata drives was not pre-installed. So, re-installed Asus device drivers to fix that. Now everything works fine under both operating systems.

Everything on my P5W DH Deluxe board works perfectly now (except wifi, which I understand a universal binary driver for it is soon to be released too).

This forum rocks!

I have the same motherboard with 2 Sata Drives in it.

Master has Vista

Slave has MACOSX 10.5

Both work good except for that darn disk insertion error in macos bootup.

If I try to put drive as AHCI then vista just restarts and Macosx sticks while booting.

Do I have to set drives to AHCI in bios then install vista and MACOS aftwards?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The AHCI setting actually works

but for everyone that has problems afterwards with vista i found a solution without reinstalling vista

the solution is in this thread

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=724344

after i did this with the registry, rebooted, changed to AHCI and windows boots fine (might need to install drivers)

the only different i did is that the registry string that says in the thread is not right (for me at least)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci

i searched in regedit for Msahci and showed me the right one. I think it is in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Msahci (without the services after CurrentControlSet)

that's it

Edit:

LOL i just saw that this thread is for Tiger but i am using Leopard

nevermind the problems and solution are the same!

LOL

Edited by agriojohn

• 1 month later...
People...

gecko is right... just enable AHCI for the Intel ICH7R controller and the error message goes away. Confirmed.

Strange! For me the opposite is true. If I set to AHCI, I get this disk insertion error. Setting to IDE stops it.

Here are my specification for more clarity.

Gigabyte-965P-DS3

Bios settings:

SATA AHCI mode (Disabled) <--------(En/Dis-abled)

Native 0-3 port mode (Enabled) <--------(En/Dis-abled)

Onboard SATA/IDE controller (Enabled) <----------(En/Dis-abled)

Onboard controller mode as (IDE) <-------------(IDE/AHCI/RAID-IDE)

My understanding is that the top two settings are for 4 orange SATA ports and the lower two are for 2 purple SATA ports that can be used for RAID and are controlled by a different controller than the other four. My HDD with MacOSX is attached to the first purple port. Setting to IDE, error gone. Setting to AHCI, error comes back. And the system profiles shows the same disk as

General AHCI (null) and as Serial-ATA disk.

Same goes for Disk utility. Shows the same HDD as two different disks. One with my three partition and correctly (that can be verified and repaired) and the other simple as disk0 with all options greyed out. Initializing this or erasing this disk does not have any affect as it starts erasing and then stop midway that it failed.

Incidently, no change in Xbench scores with either option. My boot times are also faster with IDE. With AHCI, those dreaded IOATAController blocking bus dreaded message comes and eats away a lot of boot time.

Setting the first option for AHCI enabled only increases the BIOS boot time. Also, I have seen that my DVD drive (Lite-On) does not always mount on orange ports, but putting on purple one (on the second and only other available port) always shows it up. People here have reported to avoid putting HDD and DVD drive on the same channel. I have not seen any side-effect of this so far. Neither in Xbench score or in performance generally. Burning works fine too.

Any ideas why AHCI cannot work for me. or if there is any advantage to use AHCI mode in OSX.

• 4 weeks later...
setting sata to AHCI resolves the issue.

hello there!

i use an asus p5w dh and currently, i use a PATA drive

for the two OS (winxp and mac osx). i first chose AHCI but

i experienced a cpu usage of about 40% in both OS with no

extra application started (right after boot up). i was wondering

and found out that this happens because of the "ahci"-setting

in the bios. so i switched to "standard ide"... and it works.

unfortunately, now the "320 KB Confing Disk" appears in OSX.

is there any way to suppress this message?

if not, is there a way to use AHCI flawlessly with PATA drives?

idea, anyone?