ATI Radeon 6xxx, working QE/CI

Nuphor

791 posts in this topic

Hmm, seems i have a bit of a problem with screen tearing but it's only at the top of the screen. It's noticeable when i move an application horizontally at the top of the screen. I can also notice it when i play movies on fullscreen. Anyone else noticed this?

Hm, no I don't get this at all. Everything seems perfectly smooth including all UI animations like minimizing to dock and expose. Are you overclocking or doing something else that might affect your graphics? My mobo and processor are older and slower than yours, so your system shouldn't be lagging at all.

My only outstanding issue is Source Engine games appearing way too bright (messed-up gamma). I believe we are using the same framebuffer (duckweed). I'm using an auto-patched DSDT and vanilla install.

Yeah my processor is a bit overclocked (@3.2Ghz), i'll try without overclocking.

The Source Engine games gamma could be related to motion blur or anistropic filtering settings. Not really sure though.

EDIT: Nope, running at default speeds didn't make any difference.

I made a video though in which i reproduce the tearing. Pay attention to the top, here.

Hello,

I need little assistance. Some days before my pervious NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 512 got broken and I bought an MSI R6870 HAWK instead. I have tried to get it fully working, but still got problems with ^Andy^ method: got black screen after boot logo with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. With GE=N QE/CL working just fine, but many apps crashing as mentioned above DVD-player or Steam games.

This is my hardware:

MB: ASUS P5K-e WiFi-AP (Intel P35 chipset)

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400 (not overclocked for now)

RAM: 4x2G OCZ one-of-gold-series (can't remember)

Video: MSI R6870 HAWK OC

Mac: 10.6.7 regular update (not MBP one) + ATi kexts from MBP one

Darwin: 10.7.3

My boot.plist, with that I trying get success:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>arch</key>
<string>x86_64</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>pmVersion=23</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Duckweed</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Tried Elodea and Gibba as well, didn't done the job. OS X is booting and showing black screen on both plugged monitors (or on one of them when other unplugged, tried many configurations). Both displays connected via DVI ports, one with DVI-VGA converter.

Seems I can't sort this out, help me, please. +)

Guest ^Andy^
Hello,

I need little assistance. Some days before my pervious NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS 512 got broken and I bought an MSI R6870 HAWK instead. I have tried to get it fully working, but still got problems with ^Andy^ method: got black screen after boot logo with GraphicsEnabler=Yes. With GE=N QE/CL working just fine, but many apps crashing as mentioned above DVD-player or Steam games.

This is my hardware:

MB: ASUS P5K-e WiFi-AP (Intel P35 chipset)

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400 (not overclocked for now)

RAM: 4x2G OCZ one-of-gold-series (can't remember)

Video: MSI R6870 HAWK OC

Mac: 10.6.7 regular update (not MBP one) + ATi kexts from MBP one

Darwin: 10.7.3

My boot.plist, with that I trying get success:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>Kernel</key>
<key>arch</key>
<string>x86_64</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>pmVersion=23</string>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>AtiConfig</key>
<string>Duckweed</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>No</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Tried Elodea and Gibba as well, didn't done the job. OS X is booting and showing black screen on both plugged monitors (or on one of them when other unplugged, tried many configurations). Both displays connected via DVI ports, one with DVI-VGA converter.

Seems I can't sort this out, help me, please. +)

If you use dvi-vga converter try Ipomoea as the framebuffer (use one monitor connected at a time btw until you get at least one display working).

If you use dvi-vga converter try Ipomoea as the framebuffer (use one monitor connected at a time btw until you get at least one display working).

It booted with Ipomoea, but only display with DVI-VGA converter, without detecting it's right resolution, and, not quite sure, but seems without QE/CL. But DVD-player has started up. +)

But I think that configuration is quite unusable, because it's backup 15" monitor NEC LCD1550V that just cannot replace 24" display that screwed to the wall. +)

Second display cannot be recognised with Ipomoea in any configuration with any port I have. Any other ideas?

P.S. Just remembered: ofc, Chameleon is r750 RC5

The package only installs the latest ATI Graphics kexts - it doesn't touch your audio at all!

Ok, I know :D But, after installation of the card and subsequently of your package, I have that audio problem that I've explained.

I don't have installed any other thing.

Guest ^Andy^
It booted with Ipomoea, but only display with DVI-VGA converter, without detecting it's right resolution, and, not quite sure, but seems without QE/CL. But DVD-player has started up. +)

But I think that configuration is quite unusable, because it's backup 15" monitor NEC LCD1550V that just cannot replace 24" display that screwed to the wall. +)

Second display cannot be recognised with Ipomoea in any configuration with any port I have. Any other ideas?

P.S. Just remembered: ofc, Chameleon is r750 RC5

Try all of the ATI6000 framebuffers.

Little help? I posted what my PC says in verbose mode as rasmusth requested and then nobody responded to it.

Probably because nobody is certain of the solution to your problem. Try removing or renaming the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext

Guest ^Andy^
Pithecia 
Bulrushes 
Cattail 
Hydrilla 
Duckweed 
Fanwort 
Elodea 
Kudzu 
Gibba 
Lotus 
Ipomoea

Tried all from this list, no one worked with my DVI display. +(

Then something else must be wrong - at least several of those framebuffers should work via DVI.

Probably because nobody is certain of the solution to your problem. Try removing or renaming the AppleTyMCEDriver.kext

I tried that and got basically the same messages, just in a different order, and it never got to the line about AppleTyMCEDriver. I can take a picture of the whole screen if necessary.

Is there anything else that needs to be done before or after the process you described earlier? I used a myHack version of Snow Leopard to install, and that's pretty much all I did before attempting to install these drivers. Mac OS X was working, but none of the hardware-specific drivers were installed.

Another problem: now I can boot my system only with -v. Otherwise, appear a message in several language with the power on-off image in background that says to shut down the system and reboot.

Seems the things are getting worse day by day...And I have do nothing after use the hd 6870 Andy's package.

Guest ^Andy^
Another problem: now I can boot my system only with -v. Otherwise, appear a message in several language with the power on-off image in background that says to shut down the system and reboot.

Seems the things are getting worse day by day...And I have do nothing after use the hd 6870 Andy's package.

Use a boot cd and check ypur disk for errors and then repair permissions. I can't suggest much else because installing the new ATI kexts will not have caused any of this.

Has there been any progress on getting 69XX support? I'm not in need of full acceleration, all I really want is the ability to set my screen resolution beyond 1024x768.

Installing Andy's package has worked great for everything except getting my 6950 detected.

I've got a Mac Pro 10.6.7 with a sapphire 6870. All works well except for DVD Player and steam games. I have GraphicsEnabler=Yes and AtiConfig=Gibba. Any ideas on how to get DVD player and steam games to work?

I've got a Mac Pro 10.6.7 with a sapphire 6870. All works well except for DVD Player and steam games. I have GraphicsEnabler=Yes and AtiConfig=Gibba. Any ideas on how to get DVD player and steam games to work?

What does system profiler say under Graphics/displays? If it shows NI40 you don't have a framebufer loaded. If it shows 6870 then you do. Post your boot.plist. Everyone that has loaded a frame buffer and not used the default buffer has reported the dvd player and steam problem fixed.

What does system profiler say under Graphics/displays? If it shows NI40 you don't have a framebufer loaded. If it shows 6870 then you do. Post your boot.plist. Everyone that has loaded a frame buffer and not used the default buffer has reported the dvd player and steam problem fixed.

Yeah, it says NI40. Here's my boot.plist:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple$

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>AtiConfig</key>

<string>Gibba</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Guest ^Andy^
Yeah, it says NI40. Here's my boot.plist:

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple Computer//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple$

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>AtiConfig</key>

<string>Gibba</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Check which version of the boot loader you are using because it's likely that you are using an old one that has no device id's for your current card. If you boot with Wait=Yes -v you will probably see that it says 'unsupported card'

Guest ^Andy^
Anyone with a 69xx card should use VNC to see why it doesn't work. There's an easy fix for it, which I presume you know about, and if not then go read some other forums... and this time without being a baby because no you do not know everything!

Who's that aimed at? :(

Guest ^Andy^
In general. Getting sick and tired of people moaning about other people/websites and "stealing" or "not giving credit". Let's stop this madness and concentrate on getting things done. Thank you.

Talking of getting things done what is this 'easy fix' then because I've seen no mention of one on any of the forums that I read?

Guest ^Andy^
Wasn't this: "use VNC to see why it doesn't work" obvious enough? Sorry but I myself do not have this card, yet, but I will get one the minute this info is proven to be correct.

No it wasn't obvious enough because if you cant even boot to the desktop in 10.6.7 with a 6970 card installed (I can't no matter which framebuffer is used or which kexts I delete) then you cant enable screen sharing to be able to use VNC in the first place.

If you know the reason why it doesn't work (other than there not being a framebuffer in these drivers for this card) and have an easy fix then I (amongst others I suspect) would like to hear it.

No it wasn't obvious enough because if you cant even boot to the desktop in 10.6.7 with a 6970 card installed (I can't no matter which framebuffer is used or which kexts I delete) then you cant enable screen sharing to be able to use VNC in the first place.

If you know the reason why it doesn't work (other than there not being a framebuffer in these drivers for this card) and have an easy fix then I (amongst others I suspect) would like to hear it.

Exactly...in the time it took you (DutchHockeyPro) to type your responses, you could have just as easily posted your "easy" solution for the community to read about. I've been looking into getting 69XX support for about a week now, with some fairly extensive research, and everything has led to a dead end of just "69XX cards aren't supported yet".

I very well could be missing something, and if that's the case I'd love to read about it.