Update 10.6.7 could mean wireless problems

6 posts in this topic

Hello all:

I have been playing around with the beta's of 10.6.7 and I have found the every wireless card I have tried on Asus 1201PN stops working after updating (cards used Dell DW 1510 Atheros AR9285 and Atheros 9280) I always backup my kexts used so installing the one I used before brought it back. The update is due out very soon so just a heads up

Hello all:

I have been playing around with the beta's of 10.6.7 and I have found the every wireless card I have tried on Asus 1201PN stops working after updating (cards used Dell DW 1510 Atheros AR9285 and Atheros 9280) I always backup my kexts used so installing the one I used before brought it back. The update is due out very soon so just a heads up

Have you tried released factory (as opposed to open-source or other community) stick drivers?

I have a Tenda WG311U wireless-N USB stick that works on my Hack using the SL drivers included with it (even after updating to 10.6.6). So far, the only driver I've had fail with 10.6.6 has been VoodooHDA (and that apparently is strictly an HDMI-related issue) - the kX Project 1.30 driver (which I use with a normally-shelved Audigy Classic once it was confirmed that the HDMI issue was real) works just fine with 10.6.6. (I boot up in verbose mode to aid in troubleshooting - by design.)

By the by, the Tenda stick uses the Ralink single-band N radio and chipset (and is a repackage of their software as well; the Ralink logo shows in the dock).

Did you guys try to apply DSDT fix to change the device and vendor ids of your wifi cards. May be Apple started to use a strick id check like they did for AppleHDA.

It might help. I did apply a similar hack and now my wifi card has Apple as the vendor. I haven't tried 10.6.7 though.

Please report back as I have an Atheros 9280 as well.

Thanks,

• 3 weeks later...
Is there any update on this? I find it very strange that this is the only place where this is being discussed if this is the case. This would have a huge affect on people if this is really the case.

My Belkin F5D7001 (Broadcom BCM4306) PCI wireless card stopped working after updating to 10.6.7 (but only when I upped the RAM to 4GB) and was able to fix this using the Kernel Flags setting at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=244614

My original post is at http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=253374