Relatively new OSX86 guy needs advice

mdtauk

18 posts in this topic

First of all I want to apologise for posting one of these threads asking for help, having been a reader of these forums, I know the noob pleas for help do tend to irritate, so I will get that out of the way first of all.

Now, a few years ago I decided to try my hand at installing OSX86 on to my PC. I tried Tiger and Leopard installations, and after several attempts and research on here and the OSX86 wiki, I managed to get it working, and even managed to install a few combo updates as they came out.

So now I am a Windows Phone 7 developer/designer, and I wanted to try get up to speed with iOS UI Design. I boot into my Leopard OS, only to find iOS is at version 4 and the new SDK and Xtools needs 10.6.4 to run.

Now I took my time and decided to do it all again.

I have been trying for the past week to get a 10.6.4 install working, only to find many more problems than I had before.

Before I go on, here are my hardware specs...

• I have four HDDs running with SATA
  • No AHCI support in my bios, its set to IDE
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Processor not overclocked
  • A DVD Writer and Blu Ray Disc Drive, both SATA
  • Windows 7 running on a separate partition and drive to my Journaled formatted partition for OSX
  • Using the Windows 7 bootloader, with whatever bootloader comes with mac osx on the OSX drive
  • NVidia GT8800 graphics
  • Keyboard and mouse via PS/2
  • USB Belkin WiFi Adapter FD5050 V4 (Zydas Drivers worked in Tiger and Leopard)

• Motherboard MSI P35 Neo F
  • 4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 RAM

Now I have 3 versions of OSX86 to try install

Hazard 10.6.6i (patched and unpatched), Hazard 10.6.2, and iAtkos S3 10.6.3

----------------------------------------------------

I tried as many combinations of install options with Hazard 10.6.2 and they all installed fine, but I was never able to boot, and because it uses a chameleon bootloader, I have no idea how to get into verbose mode to provide any details for you.

With iAtkos S3 10.6.3, i tried various combinations, and got it to install each time, but only got it to boot fully one time, all be it with a USB mouse, and I couldn't get it to be 32bit to support my belkin wi-fi adapter. I tried to update to 10.6.4 with the combo update but it ruined the OS, and I couldn't boot back in.

I only got the Hazard 10.6.6i iso today, and I have the patched and unpatched version (IOATAFamily.ppf) and it worked in my DVD Writer, but not my Blu Ray drive, and Disk Utility can see no Hard Drives.

----------------------------------------------------

Now, if anyone can help advise me on how I can install 10.6.4 so I can play about and try to get to grips with Interface Builder for iOS4, it will be greatly appreciated. Advice on which kexts I should choose from the customize install tree-view, and how to install it using the text based darwin boot loader (so I can type in -v etc).

What motherboard? What MB chipsets?

If you don't know, use "System Info App" . It can be found on the forum, and there are Windows and Mac versions.

Have you considered a "vanilla install using a bootCD or the 'myHack" type method?

EDIT And my advice use USB keyboard & mouse.

Silly of me not to include it...

My motherboard is an MSI P35 Neo F

North Bridge - Intel P35/G33/G31 Rev A2

South Bridge - Intel 82801IB (ICH9) Rev A2

I think I remember trying a Vanilla version of Leopard, but the keyboard and sound wouldn't work, and the computer wouldn't restart properly.

iDeneb worked on Leopard, and i think I got Kalyway 10.5.2 to work once also.

I am pretty sure all my hardware is compatible, its just the combination of kexts, and the right distribution I need to find. But I have attached the Hardware Output from that System Information for Windows tool you reccomended. Boy is it comprehensive!

Hardware.html

Silly of me not to include it...

My motherboard is an MSI P35 Neo F

North Bridge - Intel P35/G33/G31 Rev A2

I think I remember trying a Vanilla version of Leopard, but the keyboard and sound wouldn't work, and the computer wouldn't restart properly.

iDeneb worked on Leopard, and i think I got Kalyway 10.5.2 to work once also.

I am pretty sure all my hardware is compatible, its just the combination of kexts, and the right distribution I need to find. But I have attached the Hardware Output from that System Information for Windows tool you reccomended. Boy is it comprehensive!

Best distribution is not any "distro". If your system can do an install using a retail disc IMO , which it can according to this search http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&...p;aql=f&oq=

And again, use USB keyboard & mouse. Never seen a Mac with PS2 ports. Why add complications by using ps2 kexts if you dont have to.

Except I don't have a USB Keyboard, but I suppose I could get one.

Thats what I would do

What about Disablers, and DTST and the TMP suppressors?

I have not installed OS X on that board. Sure the answers to those questions are in the results of the search link I supplied. I am just trying to point you in the right direction. There are no shortcuts, you need to read & research till your eyes hurt, it's the best way. From your post about not knowing how to boot verbose in Chameleon I gather that your research has been minimal.

Also is there a reduced version of snow leopard around, I don't have any duel layer dvds to hand?

Not that i know of that is not a "Distro" Why not just purchase the Retail Snow leopard Disc", it's only US$28-30 approx. Or wait until you get more DL-

DVD's, use the time until then for research :D

EDIT And after one more post you will be able access the other parts of the forum. So you can ask questions in topics about that motherboard.

I wouldn't buy the retail disc unless I was 100% sure it would work! Dual Layer discs would set me back about £10, and a large enough USB almost half the cost of OSX.

I am aware of some parts of the Chameleon bootloader, but you cant just press F8 and type it in, and without a working OSX to access the files on the drive, its not easy AFAIK to change the boot options. But I would prefer to use Darwin X86 in text mode.

...but you cant just press F8 and type it in

No need to press F8, if you're using a modern Chameleon-based boot CD (hackboot, [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], myhack etc etc) with GUI, the prompt appears at the bottom of the screen once you start typing.

I would follow Dell's advice - and his google search link - use a retail Snow Leopard DVD and a suitable boot CD. Your hardware is compatible.

DSDT is something you can mess around with post-install to fix compatibility issues. It's not required during installation.

You don't need disabler.kext, that's for hardware that can't run the vanilla kernel. Yours can.

What the hell are "TMP surpressors"?! I've never heard anything like that before.

If it's anything like "Beta Blockers" then you're in the wrong forum.

Ahhh.. of course.

No, the TPM stuff is a myth.

You must be thinking of AES decryption. For this we have fakesmc.kext.

Ok, so I wont be able to afford to buy Mac OSX Upgrade disc, or a usb keyboard until late april when I return back from a trip to japan I have been saving for for over a year now.

I will install iAtkos S3 again, once I figure out the config of kexts etc I got worrking before.

But that is 10.6.3 I think the right config is something like

- Chameleon v2 RC5

- 32bit Boot

- Apple PS/2

- Intel SATA/IDE

- Graphics Enabler

Now providing I can get this installed and working, how do I go about installing the 10.6.4 combo update without bricking the OS? 10.6.4 will at least allow me to install the xtools/ios sdk.

EDIT_____

I have iAtkos S3 10.6.3 installed and running. I cant get my ZD 1211 kext working, but from what I have been seeing, no-one has got this working in snow leopard so far. So now I need to update to 10.6.4 but without screwing with the system, so can someone direct me to a guide for updating iAtkos S3 10.6.3 with the 10.6.4 combo update.

Also when I do get the retail upgrade CD, I assume it will be a much more complicated process, if I am having to manually patch the DSDT, and manually finding and installing kext files. Is there a good guide for this, or even better, a tool I can use to do the more complicated parts easier and automatically based on my hardware?

Ahhh.. of course.

No, the TPM stuff is a myth.

You must be thinking of AES decryption. For this we have fakesmc.kext.

Yes, I should have said the mythical TPM chip

EDIT_____

so can someone direct me to a guide for updating iAtkos S3 10.6.3 with the 10.6.4 combo update.

http://tinyurl.com/4ec7azn

Why not 10.6.6. ?

Also when I do get the retail upgrade CD, I assume it will be a much more complicated process, if I am having to manually patch the DSDT, and manually finding and installing kext files. Is there a good guide for this, or even better, a tool I can use to do the more complicated parts easier and automatically based on my hardware?
Not that hard and you know what kexts you need. Read a few retail install guides to get some ideas. I like the abbreviated myhack method (like I use in my guide) and you can use your existing install to do it

I couldn't actually get the 10.6.6 version of the install to work, none of the hard drives would show up in disk utilities, in either patched or unpatched forms, but 10.6.3 with iAtkos has worked.

Now I only need 10.6.4 to get the latest version of XCode and the iOS SDK to install, and this is the only reason why I am installing mac osx to try to get to grips with iOS UX design, for possible versions of the Windows Phone 7 apps I am making with other developers.

If we can get stuff sorted, we can then seek out an iOS developer with experience to work with, and they should have a proper mac to work with, and I can work on the UI bits in Interface Builder in my little mac duel boot setup.

I am aware there are many guides out there, but that is part of the problem. Which guide to use, so thats why I asked here, as a kind of beacon in the dark. Thank you for all your advice also!

Good to hear

In the third post on this topic OP said he had this chip,

I thought that ICH9 was not natively supported by Apple and that the AppleAHCIPort.kext was

needed to make the install think it was an ICH10 chip which is natively supported? ^^^Vanilla?

• 11 months later...