do hackintoshs work properly ? in professional enviroment

splintah

15 posts in this topic

hey

i need a faster machine (got a powerbook right now)

but dont have the money and the need for a quadcore mac pro

do hacked pcs really work properly with osx ?

i need it as a primary workhorse so i dont really have the time or the motivation to troubleshoot the system every week

i need a machine that really works

can you build and setup such a thing ?

thinking about an overclocked core2duo 6600

i do 3d animation btw

and although pcs are better in maya i dont like windows so i would love to stay on mac

maybe i will try parallesis

looking foward on your reading about your experience

my machine (Intel D945GTPLR mobo, Pentium D920, X1800XL PCI-E) works 99% - everything except dual-monitor and system sleep works perfectly, though iMovie still crashes if I try to use themes.

I would say that if you need a Mac you'd better buy one. A "Hackintosh" is not mean't to be a Mac replacement. It is a way to add SOME Mac functionality to a PC.

Also, if you are not really into this stuff you should stay away from it. Most of the people here running OSX on a PC (especially those with max functionality) are very advanced users.

I hope they will one day come out with an official PC version of OSX, because it is a great OS.

I would also say that if you choose your components VERY carefully, you can end up with a machine virtually indistinguishable from a real mac. However, you're always going to face problems with Software Update, as new versions of the OS will break your install. There are ways and means around these issues though.

I would also say that if you choose your components VERY carefully, you can end up with a machine virtually indistinguishable from a real mac.

thats what i am trying

what are those components ?

would be cool to have a sticky thread where only people with 100% working rigs post how they built their rigs

is crashing in imovie a common problem with hackintoshs ?

If its a proffesional enviroment, then I would stick with certified Apple system. Plus Maya is not yet a Universal Binary. Not to mention possible legal trouble of running hacked systems in a studio or office. I have a Power Mac G5 Dual for sale if your interested its the latest model.

Problem with a hackintosh is that all the current versions are running old out-dated kernels - so none of the kernel security fixes released since the last wwdc are available on hackintoshes.

professional environment....imovie???

imovie is universal and works 100% on my machine.

maya is not a universal program yet, they just released version 8 and still not a ub....it runs on my machine, but its really slow. parallels does not yet offer 3d support, i haven't tried maya in my windows-parallels install, but i have a feeling it wouldn't be so great.

final cut studio on the other hand is working with no problems, i use final cut pro, livetype and dvd studio pro almost everyday and have not yet had it crash.

I think the simple answer is if you're happy to work with integrated graphics, on a non-current operating system, with a single core Intel processor...Then the answer is yes, there are stable systems...

I upgraded from a G3 400 iMac to a 2.66G Celeron on an Intel 945GNTL board. I was able to install natively just like on a real mac and have 100% system stability but even I have a bug (albeit a minor one), the switched sound output at the back of the machine, Line out is through the Mic-in port and vice versa.

For me a 2.66G Celeron and Integrated Graphics is fine, but I only run Office (in Rosetta), GIMP for graphics, Browse and play music in iTunes.

For you, doing 3D graphics work...it's probably not going to cut it...even with a 3.8G HT P4 you're probably going to think it's slow.

Save your pennies and buy a real mac. If you don't need Intel, G5's should be going cheap!!!

what are you talking about scuba ?

there are a lot of people in here with core2duo with both cores working

also some 3d graphics cards are supported

miguelcerca

imovie seems to be an issue on hackintoshs

so if imovie works, this means good rig

i am not using imovie

I would be comfortable using my box for work. I have no problems with photoshop, final cut, etc.

However, rendering 3D could get interesting. ATI graphics for sure.

What I would strongly recommend to everybody is that once you get all your software installed and settings set. Image that {censored} with Acronis or another imaging software. Save all of your valuable data to other drives or partitions and if something goes wrong, restore the original image.

thats good to hear juan

whats your setup ?

Im in the same boat as munky, the same problems i mean. No system sleep, and the disadvantage of having to wait for a new update to be cracked. However my system works 99.9% fine for me. I have an ati x1800xl, the same as munkys (100% fine), pentium d 920, the same as munkys (both cores fine only wrong speed indicated). Check my sig for the rest of my hardware. i moved onto this from an imac g5. Its like the same machine apart from a HUGE performance difference and no working sleep. I even transferred my docs and {censored} using the migration assistant!