Kernel Panic On installation!

iambaboo

17 posts in this topic

Hi, im a complety newbie to the hackintosh (and mac) world.

Im trying to install OS X i this configuration:

Asus P5Q-E / Intel C2D E8500 / Ati HD4870 512 / 2GB Corsair Dominator 1066Mhz / 2 Raid0 HD with windows - 1 storage HD with a 60Gb partition for Snow Leopard

I first try install the OS using iATKOS S3 V2, it start the installation process, but it freeze at the begining when it say there'are 18 minutes left.

Than i read a guide about hackintosh for my MB i first run Boot-123 / than switch to OSX retail DVD / but the installation fail to start, and i get the following KP

post-627892-1297080457_thumb.jpg

It seem a graphic card problem, but i dont know how to fix it in a noob way!

Thanks i advantage if someone will help me!

Seeing as the backtrace is graphics related have you tried using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] ATi (I think all iBoots have been rolled into 1 now).

use another bootcd maybe, like [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or Nawcom Mod.

Seeing as the backtrace is graphics related have you tried using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] or [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] ATi (I think all iBoots have been rolled into 1 now).

I dl and burn last [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] version.

In both standard and safe mode it put the monitor in energy saving mode when installation GUI appear.

Ill try boot-123 in safe mode again tomorrow and ill se what happen!

Thanks everyone for the help!

pirate EFI-X? Nawcom Mod CD? Empire EFI? maybe you need to turn the RAID off completely?

Im booting with storage configured to AHCI, so it dont recognize my raid when booting OSX.

I dont have time to try other boot cd, and so far the only one that can reach the installation GUI is the iAtkso S3 V2, unfortunatly the progress bar stop to animate random, and apparently it stop to install too ( i leave it alone 1 Hour before reboot!).

Any ideas about bios graphic configuration to change?

I hope to find some time tomorrow for try other boot cds.

As always thanks everyone for attention!

move the mouse every few mins during installation. my screen stays the same after a few mins in the install and only refreshes when you move the mouse.

Already tried, arrow move, but bar the progression bar seem freeze! :S

If i click the up menu, nothing happen too, while before the freeze they are clickable!

Ill try again today, but i thinks this is not the problem, becouse, it works and end the installation the second time i tryed it, unfortunatly the system dont start even in -x and i format again and start to try new Boot cds.

After the format i try to install fro iAtkos about 5/6 time but he always fail.

I finally complete the installation using Hazard 10.6.6i.

Unfontunatly i cant boot.

In normal and -x boot get the same error:

" ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - wait for service (resource Matching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out "

So now i've the full system installed but i cant boot :(

Any idea on solution?

A couple things to try:

a) 64-bit in OSX-intel architecture is VERY flaky by my seasoned UNIX standards, especially on the driver side of things, and on a Hackintosh, the kernels may default boot 64-bit and load 64-bit versions of the modules. This can cause lots of flaky issues. Try forcing boot into 32-bit (-x32 for some bootloaders typed after first keystroke in the bootloader screen, or arch=i386 in Chameleon flavours). Then see if things are more stable or actually work.

;) Usually, when you get a CPU Powermanagement Kernel Panic, it means some compatibility with CPU Powermanagement. And often, that's related to SleepEnabler.kext. If you tried the 32-bit boot and still not working for you, then try to boot something stable and quickly get into the system and rename them to a non .kext directory name, e.g.:

bash-3.2$ sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext /System/Library/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext.orig

bash-3.2$ sudo mv /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext /Extra/Extensions/SleepEnabler.kext.orig

Then if you're still up and running, try running a kext utility to cleanup and recache the boot loader for good measure, although it may not be necessary.

I found a SleepEnabler.kext at this URL http://code.google.com/p/xnu-sleep-enabler/ which requires an edit to /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist and adding 'arch=i386 pmVersion=21'. There's an even better one in source code if you keep reading that link and digging. But that may require compilation and tools. Give that a try and see if CPU power management works a little better. Note however, it's really flaky in 64-bit. Sleeps good. Just not waking up! LOL!. But in 32-bit, worked for me.

I'd try to do a couple of things.

1) Just an OSX newbie myself, but you may want to try and force boot 32-bit first if you haven't already (at bootloader, simply type 'arch=i386' for Darwin/Chameleon flavours and '-x32' for some other bootloaders - sans quotes of course!

2) If force boot into 32-bit is a no go, or you've already tried that, I'd still boot 32-bit and try to boot using a USB stick with bootloader and some version of OSX that you found stable enough to install - e.g. the Mac OS X Installer is what I usually use. But instead of installing, exit to shell utility by selecting from the top menu drop down and then cd /Volumes/ and hopefully, you'll see your install partition mounted and readable. Based on your report about CPU power management exception, most likely, I'd try first to move SleepEnabler.kext to SleepEnabler.kext.orig in both the /Extras/Extensions folder and /System/Library/Extensions folder.

Then try to exit installer boot and restart forcing 32-bit boot.

But then again, what would this newbie know? LOL!

I finally complete the installation using Hazard 10.6.6i.

Unfontunatly i cant boot.

In normal and -x boot get the same error:

" ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - wait for service (resource Matching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out "

So now i've the full system installed but i cant boot :P

Any idea on solution?

Are you installing from something formatted to NTFS? Just curious why that module would come up. I've only installed from vanilla Mac OS X disks with a boot loader, from USB sticks formatted as Mac GUID partition, never anything NTFS related. So it's the first thing I've heard about NTFS slices during install. I've had errors trying to use a USB portable drive that was formatted to NTFS - had to download free NTFS support and add that to OSX but after the fact. Never during an install. But then again, I don't know what other flavours of install images might include. If that's a problem, you may want to try hacking the installer and pulling out the module support for stuff causing the problem.

Are you installing from something formatted to NTFS? Just curious why that module would come up. I've only installed from vanilla Mac OS X disks with a boot loader, from USB sticks formatted as Mac GUID partition, never anything NTFS related. So it's the first thing I've heard about NTFS slices during install. I've had errors trying to use a USB portable drive that was formatted to NTFS - had to download free NTFS support and add that to OSX but after the fact. Never during an install. But then again, I don't know what other flavours of install images might include. If that's a problem, you may want to try hacking the installer and pulling out the module support for stuff causing the problem.

This message is on the Boot after installation, not in the installation!

I installed OSX using Hazard 10.6.6i, the only mod that complete the installation, using vanilla+boot CD i cant reach the installation screen, and iatkos hang on 18mins left for hours (i tryed to leave it all night long, and to movethe mouse for about 1 hour, but nothing works!

But with it i cant boot, so i formated again and now i was thinking if there's a way to create a custom installation cd strarting from Hazard 10.6.6i, that install ONLY the specific kext for my system.

I search in the forum with no luck!