Install went fine, reboots to blinking cursor

JohnnyT

6 posts in this topic

I installed 10.4.4 on a secondary SATA HD. Partitioned the disk Extended Journaled. Install went peachy, no problems. Rebooted and changed BIOS to boot from second HD. All I get is a black screen with a blinking cursor. Does not attempt to load anything. Any thoughts?

The partition is set to active.

Maybe I should just get 10.4.7 huh?

Asus P5WD2 Premium mobo

Intel Pentium D 3.2GHz

2GB DDR2

Asus nVidia 7800GTX

250GB SATA2 HD

I had the same problem when installing using Jas or Hotiso 10.4.6. The install goes fine and then when I reboot all I get is a black screen with a cursor in the top left.

I installed with a ASUS EAX1600XT card. I suspected the card was at fault, so I removed the card and put my GT 6800 back in. And voila, Mac OS X appeared without any issues.

So what I did next was to try and setup the kext files so they would recognise my X1600XT. By mistake I deleted all the ATI files, and realised now I was screwed.

But just out of interest I popped the X1600XT back in again and it worked!

So what I conclude is that the native X1600 Apple drivers didn't properly load and gave me the black screen, but by deleting the ATI drivers, it resorted to a std VESA driver... *I guess*

I suspect this could be the same for your card. Try deleting the Geforce kext's in /System/Library/Extentions and see what happens. But make a backup by copying them to a separate directory!

loi.

Sorry , I just realised that yours doesn't even boot! .. sorry, I misread your post.

I have the exact same problem as above where it won't even start to boot but it boots fine if I have the Install DVD in the drive.

The partition is set to active but when I tried to bless the volume I found that the bless command is missing from my installation. It should be in /usr/sbin/ but its not.

Anyone have any ideas?