10.6 on AMD Processor Biostar TF7050

chickenofsea

20 posts in this topic

I've been trying to get 10.6 to work on my AMD system, but haven't had any luck. I have a 10.6 Retail DVD and downloaded a copy of iAtkos (though I don't think I got the right version, as the file size was only around 3 GB and not 6 GB as the retail one). I've installed the OS from the AtkOS dvd and the installation completes. The bootloader loads the OS, and the white Apple screen comes up, and it hangs there. If I choose to boot verbosely or without any extensions, the bootloader boots me into a black screen and nothing happens. The hardware compatibility list shows my system as compatible, but I'm kind of ignorant as to how to get this working properly. Could someone walk me through the process of installation and provide a bit of insight into what optional extras I might need to get this beast on the road? I'd be much appreciative! Thanks guys, great forum you've got here!

My setup:

Biostar TF7050 motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 3200+

2G RAM

SATA DVD drive

500G IDE HD

Chamelion bootloader

iAtkOS S3 DVD (may be bad?)

I've been trying to get 10.6 to work on my AMD system, but haven't had any luck. I have a 10.6 Retail DVD and downloaded a copy of iAtkos (though I don't think I got the right version, as the file size was only around 3 GB and not 6 GB as the retail one). I've installed the OS from the AtkOS dvd and the installation completes. The bootloader loads the OS, and the white Apple screen comes up, and it hangs there. If I choose to boot verbosely or without any extensions, the bootloader boots me into a black screen and nothing happens. The hardware compatibility list shows my system as compatible, but I'm kind of ignorant as to how to get this working properly. Could someone walk me through the process of installation and provide a bit of insight into what optional extras I might need to get this beast on the road? I'd be much appreciative! Thanks guys, great forum you've got here!

My setup:

Biostar TF7050 motherboard

AMD Athlon 64 3200+

2G RAM

SATA DVD drive

500G IDE HD

Chamelion bootloader

iAtkOS S3 DVD (may be bad?)

Seems like your OS X can't boot 64 bit mode. This happened to me after I installed 10.6.6 on my hazard. All you have to do is put in arch=i386 or -v arch=i386. reply for success or failure

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm kind of new to this (though I've used a Mac since 1992). How do I add the argument you mentioned to cause OS X to start in 32 bit mode? When installing, just for kicks, I chose 32 bit options in iAtkOS installer. Should I wipe it clean and start over again from scratch?

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm kind of new to this (though I've used a Mac since 1992). How do I add the argument you mentioned to cause OS X to start in 32 bit mode? When installing, just for kicks, I chose 32 bit options in iAtkOS installer. Should I wipe it clean and start over again from scratch?

OK, I have an AMD Processor too and I'm new to this too. It took me a while to get this figured out. Try Hazard's Installer. It has an AMD patch so it patches it for you. You should choose the legacy kernel. I'm not too sure about iAtkos cause when I tried installing it all it said was still waiting for root device. Any way does your hackintosh start with chameleon? If so just randomly press anything while its loading. Also note this. Please do not select any update options in Iatkos installer. There is something wrong with the legacy kernel. Just search up 10.6.(any number) legacy kernel and look for prasys blog or something like that. Then just install it after you download. Its not big only like 30 megs. If you did select the update please reinstall it. It is a pain in the butt, but just go through it. I installed mine over 20 times because of my errors. Please tell me what kernel you are using. Reply when you check this out for latest feedback. Please say so if this works. Also note you have download limits. If you go over this limit you will be fined some money. Please check out your internet services website for more info. Sorry if this is too long.

I downloaded a version of Hazard and ran the installer process. It installs fine but then I get a freeze when it says "waiting for root device" right after the network card is identified. What drivers should I be using?

Please tell me exactly what you made as selections in customize before you start installing

first of all you should use the iAtkos S3 v2 DVD, boot verbose (by pressing f8 while loading, and typing -v) and with no other options....and select customize and select Chameleon v2 RC4 and Modified Kernel -> Qoopz 10.3.0 kernel....and then the video card driver, choose what you have, and AHCI SATA...+Network Card....and that's about it..just to get it working and avoid kanics because of the kexts....after that you can even update to 10.6.6 ..i know i did...and of course..if you get there ask me for the usb problem before updating

later edit: you should try the retail dvd and nawcom's modcd, which is quite nice

Thanks for the reply. Sorry about taking so long to get back to you on this. I can't get the MODCD to boot the retail DVD, unless I'm doing something wrong. I just get stuck at "Still waiting for root device". I'll give iAtkOS a try again using your suggestions.

first of all you should use the iAtkos S3 v2 DVD, boot verbose (by pressing f8 while loading, and typing -v) and with no other options....and select customize and select Chameleon v2 RC4 and Modified Kernel -> Qoopz 10.3.0 kernel....and then the video card driver, choose what you have, and AHCI SATA...+Network Card....and that's about it..just to get it working and avoid kanics because of the kexts....after that you can even update to 10.6.6 ..i know i did...and of course..if you get there ask me for the usb problem before updating

later edit: you should try the retail dvd and nawcom's modcd, which is quite nice

exactly what are you doing with Nawcom mod cd + retail SL? Here's a question for you... After installing it the first time, did you boot on your machine using the Nawcom mod cd again, and then selecting the HD where you installed the SL to? because i think you missed that step.

I must sheepishly admit that I had neglected to turn on AHCI in my BIOS (though, in my defense, the last time I tried Hazard installing, it wiped out my BIOS settings every time I rebooted my computer). I turned it back on and it boots normally. It is currently installing and I'll let you all know my next hurdle to clear.

I've got to hand it to the InsanelyMac community, this site seems to be full of helpful people who don't mind lending a hand to an idiot like yours truly. Thanks guys!

exactly what are you doing with Nawcom mod cd + retail SL? Here's a question for you... After installing it the first time, did you boot on your machine using the Nawcom mod cd again, and then selecting the HD where you installed the SL to? because i think you missed that step.

Roger that. Installed kext and sound now works as it should. I'm still having a couple of minor issues, though.

1) Can't boot off the hard drive (I have a RAID 1 setup with disk utility). Installed Chameleon, and even after choosing to boot verbosely, it just goes to a blank screen and nothing happens. I can, however, boot off of the ModCD just fine. No matter what I fiddle around with in the control panel, nothing works.

2) I can't switch out of 1024x768 video. In the Displays control panel, that is my only choice. Strange. I can't find any kext for my video (onboard Geforce 7050). Any ideas?

your audio is ALC888, you should've known that by now. there is a kext for ALC888 somewhere here.

When I boot verbosely, Chameleon puts text over the screen for a split second (and is very small, and with my monitor being stuck at 1024x768, I can't read it). This same thing happens with Mod CD but it asks you to press any key to continue, at which point it goes on booting off the hard drive. Chameleon, when booting off the hard drive directly, goes to a black screen at this point and nothing further happens. Would it be wise to use a different kernel or some such as a boot argument in this situation?

Another thing... I made the mistake of updating to 10.6.6 and now I have no USB. Is there a way I can get in there (without a mouse or KB) and copy the proper kexts for USB support back? I suppose I can reinstall if need be.

you're gonna have to use the boot cd and use terminal. you shouldnt have done the update until you got the kinks out of the way. only ways to do it now is:

1. use terminal using installation disk

2. use another mac to remote in and download it directly to the machine.

3. use another mac to access the HDD of the other one

4. re-do everything.

I'll get it going again and report back. Regarding the fixed-resoution thing going on with the screen:

If I were to post a Youtube video would it help with diagnosis?

you're gonna have to use the boot cd and use terminal. you shouldnt have done the update until you got the kinks out of the way. only ways to do it now is:

1. use terminal using installation disk

2. use another mac to remote in and download it directly to the machine.

3. use another mac to access the HDD of the other one

4. re-do everything.

Right then. I got it back up and running with a bare minimum of fuss. I won't be doing that again. Still having issues with the resolution being fixed at 1024x768 and not being able to boot without ModCD. Is there a setting somewhere I'm missing that lets me change video resolution? I can handle booting off a CD but the resolution issue is a deal-killer, as I'll be using this as a HTPC and my software doesn't work at that resolution.

Thanks for the help so far!

I'll get it going again and report back. Regarding the fixed-resoution thing going on with the screen:

If I were to post a Youtube video would it help with diagnosis?

As far as your graphics issue goes, use OSX86 Tools to create a string for your graphics card, and add it your com.apple.Boot.plist
Please don't use OSX86 Tools, especially on SL

The onboard video is not supported. You may be able to change the resolution via com.apple.boot.plist, but without hardware acceleration its pretty useless.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=247397

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1542354