I want to triple boot OS X 10.4 on my PC but I have some questions

sross01986

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

I am a noob to the community but I am currently in the research stage of my project. I recently watched the latest lifehacker video on how to build a hackintosh with new components. I found it informative but I already have a good solid desktop that is running Windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.10.

Here are some of my specs:

Dell Inspiron 545s

1 SATA HDD @ 750GB @ 7200RPM

6 GB of Ram

Intel Core 2 Duo E7500

I have a few questions right now. First would a partition on the HDD drive work so I could boot Snow Leopard with out having to install a second hard drive. Second is it easier just to have a second hdd for installation and running of the OS?

Any advice is welcome. I am not too keen on adding a second hard drive because of the size of the desktop case.

there should be no problem about a tripleboot with only one HDD.

I partitioned my hdd while Mac install in the GUID layout with 2 partitions (one in mac journaled, other in fat format).

Quit mac install, bootet from windows 7 dvd, formated the fat partition to NTFS and installed it.

After Win 7 Install i went back to Mac Os installation and after setup all i installed chameleon.

Therefore i dont see a problem about a triple boot. just one more install to another partition.

chameleon has no problems to handle this.

Dont forget that there are many other steps for a proper install.

Now i have Win7 and mac 10.6.6 running on my HDD.

there should be no problem about a tripleboot with only one HDD.

I partitioned my hdd while Mac install in the GUID layout with 2 partitions (one in mac journaled, other in fat format).

Quit mac install, bootet from windows 7 dvd, formated the fat partition to NTFS and installed it.

After Win 7 Install i went back to Mac Os installation and after setup all i installed chameleon.

Therefore i dont see a problem about a triple boot. just one more install to another partition.

chameleon has no problems to handle this.

Dont forget that there are many other steps for a proper install.

Now i have Win7 and mac 10.6.6 running on my HDD.

I still have some questions about partitioning. I currently have Win 7 and Ubuntu already installed and I want to install SL. If I were to follow the lifehacker guide should I have the partition created before the installation of SL? Or could I create the partition during the actual installation of SL simular to linux installs? Also does the Snow Leopard disc have to be new. I have a few mac friends with update discs.

Either / or

It is definitely easier to maintain when the OS's are on separate drives but the actual install isn't a great deal different.

If you have enough room and cash for another hard drive then go for 2 HD's. More space never hurt anyone.