Kernel Panic! Kext issue, OpenHaltRestart

wynntom

10 posts in this topic

Hello there,

I seem to have gotten myself into a great pickle. Here's the situation:

A hackintosh boot on an Asus 1000HE was working until I installed the OpenHaltRestart.kext file to make it sleep properly. Big mistake. I'm now getting a kernel panic with the code that's on the attached picture.

IMG_0211.jpg

I've then booted from a Ubuntu Live USB, so I could manually delete the kext file and boot up Mac OS 10.6.3 again. Ubuntu wouldn't let me b/c I wasn't logged in as root (sudo command), so I restarted and Voila... now the Mac OS partition on Ubuntu OS won't mount.

Ugh. OK so now I'm completely out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated, for I know not where to turn from here.

Thank you so very much in advance, from the tips of my tired fingers to the lashes of my bloodshot eyes.

Tom

boot with -x. then delete the openhaltrestart.kext through there.

O Venerable Legend DotHacker,

Thanks for your reply. When I boot with -x, I still get a KP message. I also get the "Hibernate image is too old, use ForceWake=y to override" message, but I've been told to ignore that.

Any other ideas come to mind?

Thank you again,

Tom

boot with -x. then delete the openhaltrestart.kext through there.

Hi there. Me again.

Would there be any other options that might come to mind? Can I find a way to command-line my way to deleting the openhaltrestart.kext file through a special boot command?

Thank you again DotHacker,

Tom

pop the dvd in and use the terminal from there <_<

Booting in -s is how I got the screenshot that I included originally. It pauses in a "System uptime in a zillion nanoseconds" line and I can't get a command line.

Q: from an external DVD player, how does one boot from a MAC OS retail DVD, without actually overwriting the HD and installing the OS? Does the external DVD have to be USB or firewire?

Thanks again,

Tom

Q: from an external DVD player, how does one boot from a MAC OS retail DVD, without actually overwriting the HD and installing the OS? Does the external DVD have to be USB or firewire?

Thanks again,

Tom

Just click through the language screen etc until the menu at the top of the screen appears, pick utilities/terminal.

Then

cd /Volumes/YOUR-VOLUME-NAME/System/Library/Extensions

ls

rm -rf openhaltrestart.kex

or if you installed it the Extra folder

cd /Volumes/YOUR-VOLUME-NAME/Extra/Extensions

rm -rf openhaltrestart.kex

Should do the trick

Just click through the language screen etc until the menu at the top of the screen appears, pick utilities/terminal.

Dellmantt,

Thank you so very much for your continued assistance; I'm blessed to have folks like you and DotHacker who give their time to help the more clueless of us!

After changing the BIOS to boot from the external USB DVD, the retail Mac 10.6.3 (not burned, real Install copy with the cat on it) is returning:

"Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in selected Boot device and press a key"

Why wouldn't the eee pc recognize the retail DVD?

Dellmantt,

Thank you so very much for your continued assistance; I'm blessed to have folks like you and DotHacker who give their time to help the more clueless of us!

After changing the BIOS to boot from the external USB DVD, the retail Mac 10.6.3 (not burned, real Install copy with the cat on it) is returning:

"Reboot and select proper Boot device or insert Boot media in selected Boot device and press a key"

Why wouldn't the eee pc recognize the retail DVD?

You need a boot CD first so you can boot the retail DVD..........

How did you install OS X in the first place ?