[SOLVED] IDE DVD does not work

aao_pink

3 posts in this topic

Yes, I'm sorry, Yet Another Go Read the FAQ problem. But it seems like this is

another of those "loose edge" problems with osx86 that everybody's setup gives

them a slightly different problem/solution.

GA P55A-UD3; i5-760; 4G(2+2) Kingston 99U5471-001.A00LF;

WD3200AVJS boot drive partitioned for MacOS + Ubuntu + a shared partition

for a common Home dir and Developer builds;

ST31000528AS for media storage;

TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223F el cheapo SATA optical drive;

Install was via a MyHack USB stick, updated with Tonymac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] DSDT

~$ uname -a
Darwin snospider 10.6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 10.6.0: Wed Nov 10 18:11:58 PST 2010; root:xnu-1504.9.26~3/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64

Now the fun starts. I have a couple of low mileage Pioneer PIO-DVR-112D. These are

not Apple Branded, but are the same model used by Apple in G4 & G5 PowerMacs.

They came out of my beloved MDD G4 (dead psu), and I thought one at least could

carry on the good work. It opens, and shuts, and spins up a DVD to read the index,

but is not visible to the system.

Setting BIOS is truly a Black Art. I've swapped the SATA drive plugs around on

the array of six sockets on the board, and what means Channel (n) Master/Slave

escapes my meagre logic. Except that the IDE DVD always sits on Channel 4,

and its Master/Slave status changes with the positions of the SATA plugs, yes

its jumper is set to Cable Select. I have set PHC SATA Control Mode = AHCI

because the default setting of IDE stops the boot process midway.

GSATA Controller = Enabled

GSATA Ctrl Mode = IDE

At Startup the IDE drive is detected by BIOS but according to the collected wisdom

I also need to load a valid kext/driver. I've tried several versions of JMicron, but

there are different JMicron36(x) ATA/SATA/eSATA to which we are then invited to

add our device ID. Tonymac's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] optional JMicron install does not work for me.

Likewise the version of AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext loaded by S/L/E/IOATAFAmily.kext does

not load, so I assume the device is not found by ioreg's probe. There are several

comments about that AppleVIAATA.kext is too old and should not be trusted. But:

~$ lspci -nn
00:1f.2 SATA controller [0106]: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak 6 port SATA AHCI Controller [8086:3b22] (rev 06)
02:00.0 IDE interface [0101]: Unknown device [1b4b:91a3] (rev 11)
04:05.0 IDE interface [0101]: Integrated Technology Express, Inc. IT8213 IDE Controller [1283:8213]

Only one of the kexts I tried had anything approaching those device IDs in its Info.plist strings.

~$  less /Extra/Extensions/AppleVIAATA.kext/Contents/Info.plist
<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>
<dict>
	<key>ITE IT8213 PATA Controller</key>
	<dict>
		<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
		<string>com.apple.driver.AppleVIAATA</string>
		<key>Hardware Name</key>
		<string>IT8213 PATA</string>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<string>AppleVIAATARoot</string>
		<key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>
		<string>0x82131283</string>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<string>1500</string>
		<key>IOProviderClass</key>
		<string>IOPCIDevice</string>
		<key>Serial ATA</key>
		<false/>
	</dict>

And, no, it doesn't work. I've been power using Macs for 24 years, but my knowledge of PCs

hard or soft is little more than looking at the outside of the box.

So, any advice pls?

Sorry, "Go buy a SATA DVD" is not a valid reply :)

EDIT

Not an elegant solution, but a (mostly) practical one:

Purchased an IDE <-> SATA converter card for $7.

It hangs on the IDE ribbon, with a sata ribbon on the other side,

plus needs a power cable, so there's a mess of extra cables.

But now my Hackintosh thinks the IDE dvd is a SATA dvd,

and it's all working to full spec. :P

Try SuperVIAATA.kext instead (forum search/google). AppleVIAATA.kext was not fully Snow Leopard compatible. I don't think SuperVIAATA supports any of your controllers though but it's worth a try.

Make sure that your Pioneer drive is jumpered as master and plugged in at the end of the PATA cable.

I don't understand why you're making changes to your SATA controller in the BIOS and swapping around SATA plugs when you're talking about a PATA (IDE) drive that is plugged into a different controller and is not using a SATA plug.

The Intel P55 chipset used on your motherboard does not have any kind of PATA support - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_P55 - so tweaking the settings for it in the BIOS will not have any influence on how the system sees your PATA drive.

Your unknown "1b4b:91a3" is a Marvell 88SE9128 SATA/RAID controller, I don't think that there's an OS X driver available for that.

It does have one single PATA port:

http://www.marvell.com/products/storage/st...oduct_brief.pdf

For your ITE 8213 PATA controller there is this driver but it's 'experimental' and only has slow PIO mode support for your controller:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1356909

Thanks for that useful reply

The Intel P55 chipset used on your motherboard does not have any kind of PATA support -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_P55 - so tweaking the settings for it in the BIOS will not have any influence on how the system sees your PATA drive.

Gigabyte in their wisdom or otherwise have added PATA magic sauce, aka Marvel 9128 and a PATA header on the board, and a piece of ribbon in the box, so they have included control functions in the bios. Stories on this forum and my own experience show that the whole IDE/SATA/PATA chain is to some extent interdependent. I agree it should not be so much, but...

Make sure that your Pioneer drive is jumpered as master and plugged in at the end of the PATA cable.

Yes, I've done this and it became "visible"

Try SuperVIAATA.kext instead (forum search/google). AppleVIAATA.kext was not fully Snow Leopard compatible. I don't think SuperVIAATA supports any of your controllers though but it's worth a try.

For your ITE 8213 PATA controller there is this driver but it's 'experimental' and only has slow PIO mode support for your controller:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1356909

I've tried both of those now thanks. Both cause the drive to show up in System Profiler, with correct parameters for reading and burning. A DVD will show up ready to play in VLC, and a CD shows all the tracks in iTunes. But the instant I click the "Play" button the whole system freezes solid, and can be cleared only with a hard restart. Fortunately both of those kexts include the source. Unfortunately I am not a programmer, never even played one on TV. I'll get in touch with the authors to try and understand what to do next. Thanks again for helping my ailing Google-fu ;)