OSX issues with tripple boot

7 posts in this topic

Ok, so here are the specs of my machine:

Mobo: Intel DH55TC

CPU: Intel Core i3 540

Memory: 4GB DDR3

Video: Asus ENGT240

HDD: 500GB partitioned (OSX 10.6.6 - 100GB; Win7 x64 - 100GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 - Rest of drive)

I'm using this guide.

Ok, so everything works as far as booting into each OS. With OSX I get a 32bit(x86) and 64bit(x64) option in grub. Now I use x64 for almost everything so I tried it first.

OSX 10.6.6 x64 not working: PS2 keyboard, NVenabler fails probe, About this mac doesn't recognize CPU anymore

Went on into x86 and found that the PS2 did work but same issue with NVenabler fails probe and About this mac. The system runs fine in x86 but I'd like to remain in x64.

What should I do to get the PS2, NVenabler fails probe, and About this mac to work with x64 and this tripple boot with grub? And/or should I swtich to another booting scheme instead of grub?

Ok, so after a lot of searching I think I may have found the solution!

I've wanted to keep Chameleon as the loader since it is more visually appealing than grub and OSX seems to operate better with it also. Grub is fine but I like my ps2 to work and for About this Mac to show the CPU.

After much reading I found that I can still use Chameleon as the loader.

What I have to do is Load OSX, update it, and install Chameleon. Then installed Win7, fix Chameleon being the active bootloader and that it loads both. Then I install Ubuntu BUT make sure that Grub is installed for "/" on it's on partition. This way Chameleon points to grub just for Ubuntu. I will go into the grub list and edit out everything except the OS, even Memtest can go as I keep that on disk (I do work for a computer repair shop and this is my bench machine =P)

Anyone seeing this cause any issues?

Don't worry about the "probe fails" message from NVEnabler, it's normal. Read the NVEnabler release thread at the ProjectOSX forums for details.

I found that out during my research, sorry I didn't mention it... I just didn't mention NVEnabler anymore =P My hardware ID has not been added... yet.

But I'm still wondering about using Chameleon. I do like how it looks and OSX actually boots faster.

I found that out during my research, sorry I didn't mention it... I just didn't mention NVEnabler anymore =P My hardware ID has not been added... yet.

But I'm still wondering about using Chameleon. I do like how it looks and OSX actually boots faster.

Something to keep in mind is that everytime Ubuntu updates grub it will kill chameleon. You either need to set grub to not update or be prepared to fix it. I gave up and installed easyBCD on my windows partition and set up osx in the boot menu. I now boot using grub, but to get to osx I boot win7 from grub and then choose osx, which then loads chameleon. It's an extra step, but it works and updates don't break things anymore.

Woot! Everything went better than expected. I was able to use Chameleon as bootloader. It sees all three OS's and I hide the other partitions. I was able to make Ubuntu my default OS (I use it primarily for work but need a windows or osx box randomly depending on what I get into my shop.) I then went into Ubuntu and configured grub to not show the other OS's, have a 2sec delay, and changed it's resolution (making boot faster into my desktop.) I then went into the Synaptic Package Manager and locked grup-pc and grub-common from updating. Performed system update and rebooted. NO issue with loosing the option for Linux in Chameleon now!

Now to theme Chameleon to show Ubuntu instead of just Linux.