Osx86 doesn't work on a Asus S96J..

glassJAw

6 posts in this topic

Ok I have a Asus S96J. I don't have a native dvd drive, only a USB as of right now. I'm getting one Monday.

This is what comes up with the OSX86 disc in my USB DVD drive.

"You need to shut down your computer"

Any ideas what it means? This is instant by the way, right after it says "Press any key to install"

I'm using Jar 10.4.3 installation..

try two things for me.

I have an Acer Travelmate 8204WLMI and was getting the kernel panic immediately after reboot, Here is what is tripping my laptop and possibly yours as well.

1. Burn at 2x or 4x nothing faster. Set the bit setting to dvd-rom if you dvd burner supports it.

2. do a verbose startup in darwin using the -v flag

THE HPET will more than likely fail - disregard this

Second thing that I have a hunch might be failing is AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext

IF you are able to install the first time rerun the install disc and go to terminal. See Below

I Take No Credit for this fix (from djtrix)

From Terminal:

chroot /Volumes/OSX/

mkdir /System/Library/Extensions.Disabled cd /Volumes/OSX/System/Library/Extensions

mv /IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext ../Extensions.Disabled

kextcache -k ./

reboot

Would be interested to see if that works for you.

BTW the JAS 10.4.6 ppf patch hosed my iso. Thats what backups are for. ;)

THIS ABSOLUTELY WORKED FOR ME! ITS an 8204 lifesaver for OSX86

Not sure whats so crucial about the AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext file but it sure as SH%&* screws up the OS boot.

BTW Congrats on getting a solid BTO laptop(S96J) from Asus.Shes plain but she performs well and is an exceptional value.