Stupid mistake - Rewrote GPT partition table... I think?

rpdmatt

3 posts in this topic

So I accidentally rewrote my GPT Partition table that I had my OSX 6.6 and Ubuntu dual booting from. In Windows I somehow decided that it would be a good idea to select "New Simple Drive" in Windows Computer Manager > Disk Management. It looks like it rewrote the whole drive and it is no longer a Primary Drive and is instead Dynamic. I can't boot from the drive and have tried a few partition managers to fix the problem. GParted sees the drive as unallocated space and Easus Partition Manager has failed to solve the problem.

I can still access the partitions through file explorers for HFS+ or EXT4 or whatever Ubuntu is, but I can't boot from them. I guess the GPT partition scheme got completely overwritten? I'm really not sure this Dynamic Drive type is, but I know that it will no longer boot. The partitions are still there in Windows Disk Manager, but I can't change it to GPT scheme or a Basic Drive.

Anyone know a way to get my drive back to the way it was? I dread having to reinstall OSX and get it to dual boot again...

Thanks!

These two articles helped me recover from the same mistake in the past. Perhaps they can help you?

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?m...3

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3200

Although I used the GPL'ed GPT editor to fix my problem, as I just had the wrong partition ID in there. If you actually wiped out the partition, that might be difficult to recover from.