Apple Boot Screen Stuck

Chip_cz

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I've tried to install Snow Leo 10.6. on my Dell Latitude E6410 following this guide //Thank you ktbos for your guide and help (I can't reply in your topic). But after the step where I should update the system and reboot, I can't boot to the system again. My computer get stuck on apple boot screen. I've searched for a solution and got many different opinions and advices but none of them helped. I tried updating manually and I found out that this problem happens between 10.6.2. and 10.6.3. After last six days spent by reinstalling and browsing the web looking for a fix I am starting to lose hope. Please help me.

What I've already tried?

-s, -v, -f on boot

cpus=0,1,2,4 and busratio=7,10 on boot

adding timeout key in com.apple.boot.plist

adding modified SleepEnabler.kext into Extra/Extensions

...and I don't know what else. I tried almost everything I found. No success. This is my third laptop and I'd really love to get the Mac OS X working (I was completely unsuccessful on those previous laptops). This time I have complete guide for my laptop model, but even though I cant get it running.

When trying run it in -v mode I got stuck on this screen.

I made a backup with TimeMachine so I can now work on 10.6.2. so if there is any way how to update it properly I don't need to fix the boot problem.

Thank you for every response.

Chip

did you delete your sleepenabler.kext BEFORE you did the update?

There was none. I think, this is solved with the Post Install package from ktbos. I just tried adding a modified one with no result.

try installing a modified ACPI (voodooPstate.kext?) or something like that...

No I haven't. I'm kind of a newbie. Could you be more specific and tell me what to do to try that?

• 2 weeks later...

That screen is very familiar!

I'm also running on an e6410 (with just the standard Intel graphics) at OS X 10.6.6

I'm not sure if this will work for you because I had installed directly from a 10.6.3 Install Disk, but I was getting stuck at the same place as you when I tried ANY updates!

So you're also using the e6410 boot disk and such. I copied the "Post Install E6410" folder onto my user directory (for easy access). I then went to my /System/Libarary/Extensions folder and copied the two AppleIntelCPU*.kext into the "S/L/E" folder of Post Install E6410. I also downloaded "[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]" (version 3.0.3, if it matters).

Here's how I've been upgrading:

1. I double-click on the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] package and let it sit there

2. Then I double-click on my OS X Update package and perform the update until it's complete and asks me to reboot.

3. I open a Terminal and type "sudo rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelHD*.kext" to remove the IntelHD graphics kexts.

4. Then I open "Kext Helper b7" from the Post Install E6410 and I install both of the "old" AppleIntelCPU*.kext as well as the ApplePS2Controller and IntelE1000e kexts and let that complete.

5. Then I allow [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to run in "easy" mode (not sure if this is actually helpful, but since it worked once I keep doing it).

6. Once those programs are complete I then select the "reboot" option from my OS X Update.

This has worked for me and I am now running 10.6.6 on my e6410 (with full 1440x900x32 resolution).

Cheers!

• 1 month later...

Gripp35 your instructions just helped me get past the same issue. thank you so much! This should be made a part of the E6410 Install Guide on this Forum.

Now if I can just get chameleon to boot so I can pick snow leopard. Right I get a black screen and "boot0:done" appears and then it boots me directly into windows 7.