Apple Graphic Card on Hackintosh?

dasuberes

7 posts in this topic

Given the way hardware works it should work just like a mac one the computer will see the hardware ID as similar to mac hardware and install the driver accordingly. Windows on the otherhand may or may not have issues with the device.

Although for $250 ($130 windows version) I kinda see it as a rip off, but if you want to avoid the hassle in mac it should work.

Have to get my saying in here...

It is first of all waste of money to get a apple branded card.

2 seeing as the drivers allready are in osx you dont have to install any drivers... But you will and that dont matter if it is a apple card or a pc card have to get a injector... Like ATY_Init, or use GraphicsEnabler from the bootloader.

The reson for that is this simple reason...

Hacks are missing the EFI that macs has and are the one that will do the enabling on real macs... That is why it is stupid when running a hack to spend money on a apple branded card as it will not be more easy.

Have to get my saying in here...

It is first of all waste of money to get a apple branded card.

2 seeing as the drivers allready are in osx you dont have to install any drivers... But you will and that dont matter if it is a apple card or a pc card have to get a injector... Like ATY_Init, or use GraphicsEnabler from the bootloader.

The reson for that is this simple reason...

Hacks are missing the EFI that macs has and are the one that will do the enabling on real macs... That is why it is stupid when running a hack to spend money on a apple branded card as it will not be more easy.

so what are you saying? that even if i get an apple branded card i will have to hack/modify in order to get it to work?

there are 2 main reasons why i wanted the Apple ATI 5770:

1) in order to have a simple and reliable set up, thinking that it would install like anyother Mac

2) to be able to connect it to the 27" Apple Cinema display, which from i see only has Apple's proprietary connections

can i still do that with any other card?

i am completely new to the entire OSx86 concept, any help explaining all this would be much appreciated

• 5 weeks later...

I've used my 8800GT from my Mac Pro in my Hackintosh and it works just fine. I had Zotac in before but it would not sleep correctly and when I put my 8800GT in, after a 5770 upgrade, sleep worked fine. Just make sure you upgrade to at least 10.6.4 because that's when the 5770 is supported.

The 5770 won't work if you're going to use it in a PC and load windows.