Dual Booting With Dual Drives?

7 posts in this topic

Ive finally gotten my hackintosh desktop working perfectly. It's based on a xeon quad core processor and a GA-P35-DS3L motherboard running 10.6.6. I used the myHack installer to kick things off.

I would like to set up a dual boot system with Windows XP to run some legacy software , but don't want to contaminate my perfect hackintosh install with the Microsoft product.

Any thoughts on just adding a second SATA drive?

Would I have to do anything besides pick a drive a boot drive off when I turned it on?

The key here is not in any way screwing up my perfect install.

Ive finally gotten my hackintosh desktop working perfectly. It's based on a xeon quad core processor and a GA-P35-DS3L motherboard running 10.6.6. I used the myHack installer to kick things off.

I would like to set up a dual boot system with Windows XP to run some legacy software , but don't want to contaminate my perfect hackintosh install with the Microsoft product.

Any thoughts on just adding a second SATA drive?

Would I have to do anything besides pick a drive a boot drive off when I turned it on?

The key here is not in any way screwing up my perfect install.

Make sure you unplug your OSX hard drive while you install Windows, just to be safe. then plug it back in after windows is all sorted.

• 1 month later...

Alright, so I've followed the advice given here, disconnected my Mac OS drive installed a 500 gb western digital and fired up the XP DVD. Initially, I was getting the BSOD trying to boot the windows installed. I realized that I had installed Snow Leopard with the SATA set to ACHI mode in the BIOS. I switched it away from ACHI and promptly booted into the installer.

I'm installing the 64 bit version of XP pro now.

The question is when I go back to having both drives hooked up (the snow leopard drive originally formatted as GUID under ACHI set in the BIOS and the windows drive formatted as MBR with ACHI off in the BIOS) what BIOS settings should I be using?

The question is when I go back to having both drives hooked up (the snow leopard drive originally formatted as GUID under ACHI set in the BIOS and the windows drive formatted as MBR with ACHI off in the BIOS) what BIOS settings should I be using?

Anyone?

I've hooked both hard drives back up, but am a little concerned about turning the thing on without knowing what to put in the BIOS.

use F12

:D

Use XP(AHCI too)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+xp+ahci

Ahhh.. you are using Windows xp..this is thee easiest of all dual booting.... do this in sequence.

1) now that you have installed both OSes, first go to your BIOS and set the "Wind XP" drive as "Primary"

2) set your OSX86 drive as "Slave" in the BIOS.

3) Boot. If you boot directly into windows, don't worry. This boot is just to check which bootloader is working.

4) So you didn't see Chamelon? now get your hands on an Ubuntu disk.

5) Boot from it.

6) After booting go straight into Administration->Gparted.

7) when Gparted opens, select your "OSX drive" and right click. In the dropdown menu you will see "set boot flags" (or something similar--important is boot flags term)

8) set the "OSX drive" to be the default boot drive...... once you set tthe flag for this drive... and actual flag will appear next to this drive.

thats it....... simple...... for windows 7 its a bit different.....

Ahhh.. you are using Windows xp..this is thee easiest of all dual booting.... do this in sequence.

1) now that you have installed both OSes, first go to your BIOS and set the "Wind XP" drive as "Primary"

2) set your OSX86 drive as "Slave" in the BIOS.

3) Boot. If you boot directly into windows, don't worry. This boot is just to check which bootloader is working.

4) So you didn't see Chamelon? now get your hands on an Ubuntu disk.

5) Boot from it.

6) After booting go straight into Administration->Gparted.

7) when Gparted opens, select your "OSX drive" and right click. In the dropdown menu you will see "set boot flags" (or something similar--important is boot flags term)

8) set the "OSX drive" to be the default boot drive...... once you set tthe flag for this drive... and actual flag will appear next to this drive.

thats it....... simple...... for windows 7 its a bit different.....

No need for that he can just use the already mentioned F12 key to get the boot menu during posting to select whichever drive he does not have set as the default in the BIOS to boot from it.

Edit: That would of course be after doing the suggested AHCI after install on XP trick.