Building the ultimate 'Woodcrest' XEON Hackintosh

12 posts in this topic

OK, so now the new G5 is out, I'm becomming more obsessed with what could make up such a beasty hackintosh, from parts bought online. It may just be an excersise in why the Apple hardware is so much better value, than the stress and drama of building a clone. Or maybe how much they make in profit. Anyway, here's a list of what I see is needed to begin, without price tags.

2x Dual 'Woodcrest' Xeons

1x suitable PCIe x16 Dual socket MB

4gb ECC DDR2 Ram modules

Raid SATA2's

And I think that would do it.

Anyone else looking for the ultimate parts? I'm just looking to replicate a new G5, and see if some money can be saved in the process.

OK, so now the new G5 is out, I'm becomming more obsessed with what could make up such a beasty hackintosh, from parts bought online. It may just be an excersise in why the Apple hardware is so much better value, than the stress and drama of building a clone. Or maybe how much they make in profit. Anyway, here's a list of what I see is needed to begin, without price tags.

2x Dual 'Woodcrest' Xeons

1x suitable PCIe x16 Dual socket MB

4gb ECC DDR2 Ram modules

Raid SATA2's

And I think that would do it.

Anyone else looking for the ultimate parts? I'm just looking to replicate a new G5, and see if some money can be saved in the process.

http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html

I'd say if you can match this sucker, you're in business.

Hymmmmmm, i know some of those ASUS boards have dual gigabit lan, not sure about dual firewire800's, problems lie with drivers etc, or until other forum member try their luck and find they actually work. I think I'll wait till they come down in price, then see what kind of support the XEONS have..

Those macs sure do look sweet though.

Anyone else want to build a xeon?

Its probably not worth it. On newegg those processors cost about 700 a pop. Motherboard is about 400 to 500. Pluse sata2 who would bout 150. Memory would be around 300-400 plus a graphics card. That would put match you with the pro if not higher. And if you go with the pro u get firewire 800 and a Real Mac with a nice case.

Ah, well spotted sherlock, they are INDEED mac pro's. Je suis desolé

I'd be happy to see some compatible GPU drivers too, then throw in a ATI X1900 XT. I wonder what the diff is in Mac Pro's vs DIY...and do the Mac Pro ATI/Nvidea cards have some mac-only bios setting?

If the price is on par with DIY, I'll order one myself. £700 for 1 Xeon? Bloody hell!!

£2-300 for a board. O man...

:angel: