OSX on Lenovo IdeaPad Y560

heero_yuy

25 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums, recently I realized the frustration with using Windows 7 on campus with so little reliability, unsupported software and painfully long boot-times, despite the fact it has an i7 core...

Nevertheless I decided to give OS X a try, I've been googling here and there, there seems to be very little of my fellow y560 owners who ever tired this on their machines.

My goal for posting this Topic is to combine whatever info I can from whoever tried this before and start using that to make a reliable OS X install and make it easier for anyone else trying this on the same laptop, or maybe even similar ones..

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated from fellow owners or anyone with any experience on the subject...

as you can see I'm a total newbie on this, but I promise to give this as much as research as I can and post my findings here...

My Specs are as follows :

Intel i7 Q720 @ 1.60GHZ

ATI HD5730 Radeon

4GB DDR3 Ram

and a link with more details specs : http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...p;sku=T71-15635

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I just wanted to update on my findings uptill now...

I ran OS X 10.6.2 by Hazard using a windows host and virtualbox..

> Sound works sometimes, I didn't install VoodooHDA kext, so I'm guessing I cud it should be fully working when I do..

> Can't set any custom resolution

"already tried boot.plist workaround, doesn't seem to work, maybe i'm doing something wrong.. or maybe virtualbox is in the way somehow.."

> Legacy Kernel panicked, so I had to ditch that.. booted normally and nothing went wrong with the software at all..

> Ethernet works, using virtualbox's network interface, it's likely to work if it's installed on the hardrive too I guess..

> Wifi doesn't work, haven't found a kext for it yet..

so far it's stable and workable enough, I think if I can somehow find a way to set a custom resolution, that'd be awesome ! and I can actually install it on the hardrive now !

can anyone point me in the right direction concerning the resolution?

FINALLY A FELLOW Y560 USER!

that being said, I'll tell you what I know and how I got mine running. (no sound or wifi though, webcam surprisingly works)

1) 10.6.3 retail+[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]+[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url],

2)modded the OSX install dvd to support mbr,

3) re-installed Windows 7, and partioned my 500gb hd to:

230gb NTFS (for Windows 7) 140gb Fat32 (for storage between the 2) and 130 Fat32 for OSX

4) re-installed OSX using the modded install dvd+[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and installed osx to the 130 fat32 partion (Formatted the partion to HFS+ Journaling)

5)ran [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] on osx

6) Now happily dual booting them both

step 1 isnt needed, if you have acess to another computer running OSX use the other computer and do step 2

I'll be happy to explain in detail any of it if needed, and if anyone finds the cure for sound (Voodoo hates my hardware) or wifi let me know. I am getting a usb wireless adapter wednesday (this one:http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3144961 ) , and will try it out and let you all know how it goes.

Edit: Sorry for a late reply, this forum is wierd on my iPhone, so i couldnt post. Anyway, the wireless usb ended up being a different one (Netgear WPN111) it wont work by plug-in-and-play.........Looks like i need to be kext patchin or kext huntin'

But some were able to get it to work..

besides can it just be used with a generic driver? um not planning to play any games on it, I just want the OS..

Generic? you mean... no driver, right? coz if you only have 1024x768 and no QE/CI enabled... then you dont have a driver... sure, you can use it, but you can't watch videos (well you can, just gonna be choppy as hell), will have a problem using iphoto, or maybe even preview. will have lots of artifacts and this and that.

also, on the wireless... it's an intel either it's a 3945abg or something else. dont know what to say. the card works, but only when the AP is unsecured...

I also have a y560 and tried to install various versions. None worked for me, but I wasn't sure which drivers to install.

Kalyway installed but there was no keyboard support.

iAtkos installed but gave me a Mac screen of death on reboot. I could not install anything when using it on the first time around.

I have given up hope on installing anything and restored my hard drive to its original capacities, but find that the wireless and HDD indicator lights (to the left of Slidenav) no longer work. Have you guys also experienced this? It's no real problem, just annoying.

The only reason I'd use Mac OSX is for the internet and simplicity of use, so if we have to attach an external router, I think that it's not even worth the trouble. Good to know I wasn't the only one having problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads-up: I got a version working winth internet and sound in VMWare Workstation. Install was pretty easy. It came as a VMWare imae, not an .iso so I don't think you can dual boot, but you can still access the Mac OS. It runs pretty fast; audio glitches every once in a while, but I'm not complaining. To download it, I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to posts links to infamous sites where NINJAS MEET THEIR DOOM(hackity hackity hack), but The link has a (for intel processors) label and its like 10.5 gigs. As far as I know, eveything is working and it can be upgraded. However, GarageBand has trouble playing some audio, I haven't figured out why. Anyway, hope this helps my fellow Y560 owners!

• 1 month later...

I haven't try to install Mac OS on my y560 yet, just reading all the threads that I can find about it. Seems like video driver is the problem for our laptop, and also seems like there is a solution. I'm not sure if it works because I didn't check it myself.

But chinese guys say it works after you upgrade to 10.6.7(10J860), and you just need to make these corrections to com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

If anyone has a chance to check it (my download will take me hell a time for sure), do it, please. It can make lots of fellow users happy :)

Prooflink: Native Graphics Acceleration for Radeon HD 5xxx and 6xxx in 10.6.7

Fellow users (those who succeeded somehow) which distribution you've been using? iAtkos, Kalyway, iDeneb or anything else?

I've just tried iAtkos S3 V2, and it didn't even let me to start setup. When I boot from DVD, it shows me an Apple Logo screen, and reboots right away. I used verbose mode to figure out what's wrong, here's photo:

SDC11579.JPG: thumb_13041.jpg

There are two more output strings that I coudn't "catch". The last one is "Starting Darwin...", and then it reboots.

I've tried -x, -v cpus=1 flags, didn't help.

UPDATE.

I made install to work with busratio=16 (see other i3/i5/i7 CPUs flags) flag. Since I have no free space for one more OS on my hard drive, I installed iAtkos to a 16 gb usb drive. Install went well, but I cannot boot to it now.

Booting from usb drive takes me to Chameleon screen, but busratio flag no longer work. Trying to boot gets my laptop to a reboot loop.

Booting from usb drive takes me to Chameleon screen, but busratio flag no longer work. Trying to boot gets my laptop to a reboot loop.

This happened to me too. Did you ever get into the operating system or just install and straight to reboot loop? I'll try to reinstall iAtkos tonight and update. Thanks for posting!

Hi all,

I have iAtkos S3 V2 working, partially.

Used tags busratio=13 (I have an i7) cpus=1 maxmem=2048

Then, install, reboot, boot via chameleon and use busratio tag on the hdd installation partition.

I used the default kexts. I have not had time to search for any yet.

Wireless is not working, nor are the keyboard or mouse. USB works fine, just hook up a keyboard and a mouse to navigate. Haven't tested sound yet. Webcam surprisingly is.

I think it's running 10.6.2. I don't know if you can update that, but I tried to download the 10.6.7 update from Apple's website and it didn't want to work, claiming that I needed 10.6.6 installed first.

I'm running the core i7-740, 8gig RAM, with a 128gb SSD installed. The SSD is not important, I installed Mac without it. It just boosts performance.

Hey, I'm working on a cure, using a multiple install of osx (OSX on 2 different HD's, One on a usb HD, One on a Normal HD) so far i cant get either beyond the 10.6.3 install from the OSX install cd. And i'm using the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]+[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] method.

No I did not. Also, I've found that you cannot install anything after the initial installation, so there's really no point. Installing things leads to a reboot loop, which basically requires a reinstall of the OS. If you get anywhere, let me know.

All,

I managed to install and boot with IAtkos S3 V2 , while booting use -v busratio=20, when it comes to customization select only Voodoo PS2 and DONT select any Sound drivers ( Kernel Panic after reboot), if you get KP after reboot note the Kext that's causing the problem and booth with -v -x or (even -v -s and delete using CLI) ( no need to mention busratio after installation).

Kext are located /System/Library/Extensions ( i am Newbiee and i saw many posts with S/L/E, how the hell i know that is it) open in finder.

Wifi,Sound and Graphics are not working ( I know what is the point of installing then), i am still looking, searching for those kexts , I installed almost all the Distros the funny part is all Distro will install ( IAtkos V7, V5, Ideneg ) but goes reboot loop after installation.

P.S i installed it more than 20 times , i recommend to create USB bootable and try it, i was afraid at one point with my DVD drive ;).

If anyone got Wifi,Sound and Graphics please give me those kexts.

IdeaPad Y560

I 7 , 8 GB Ram, ATI 5730.

I can boot into SL after installation. However, once I try to install kexts or something it decides to panic on me. I tried to update to 10.6.7 imediately after OS install, it required 10.6.6 installed, which I promptly downloaded from my Windows. This said that the dmg was not recognized. I downloaded it from the Apple homepage; I don't know if iAtkos supports this.

Good luck, everyone. There's a long road ahead of us...

• 1 month later...

I just installed MacOSX (10.6.6 Hazard version) on Lenovo IdeaPad Y560 in VirtualBox (I have a Mac, I dont want dualboot). It works okay, takes a lot to boot though. Sound works, graphics a bit slow. I am wondering where is the CMD button? And if there is any way to install VirtualBox video driver, to make graphics work faster (I have 1024x768 though).

• 1 month later...

I don't have this Laptop but this is what I found: http://www.hackint0sh.org/f181/263607.htm

Keyboard & Trackpad, Graphics (supposedly incl. res change & QE/CI), Sound, Ethernet, USB, Webcam

only WiFi card replacement is recommended ($20 or so) because the existing card's community OS X driver only connects to non-encrypted networks.