External hard drive instalition help

Caos1

16 posts in this topic

Is it possible to install os X on external HDD...

It's a segate 1.5 tb

when i install it it says please restart your computer, I did the apple GUID and the Other one.....

Any suggestions?

You are not giving us a lot to go on there bare minimum we need to know how you are trying to install, what hardware is in the machine you are doing this on and what .kext you are using when doing the install plus boot loader used.

You are not giving us a lot to go on there bare minimum we need to know how you are trying to install, what hardware is in the machine you are doing this on and what .kext you are using when doing the install plus boot loader used.

Ok its a dell d420 1.5 gb ram Intel Core Processor.

It will install on my computer fine but when I choose to install on External HDD it will Install but say the restart message. and it's using the chameleon v2 boot loader

and i didn't use a .kext

also its Iatkos 10.6

Ok its a dell d420 1.5 gb ram Intel Core Processor.

It will install on my computer fine but when I choose to install on External HDD it will Install but say the restart message. and it's using the chameleon v2 boot loader

and i didn't use a .kext

also its Iatkos 10.6

Whether you know it or not you are using non-Apple .kext on the system they are usually installed into the /Extra directory. Google tells me that machine is a laptop which you say here the install you now have on it works here is what I suggest to get that install onto the external. First get a stand alone installer of Chameleon there is one here on the site once you have that boot the machine so you are running OS X. Now when there open the diskutil.app it is in the Applications -> Utilities folder choose your external disk from the list partition/format OS X Journaled (name your install partition different than current when formatting) how you want it with the GUID as it seems you have already done. Then choose the Restore option using your already in place install as the Source your partition where you want OS X on as Destination un-check the Erase first then Apply the restore. Once this completes open the Chameleon installer choosing the external drive as the the Install Destination when it has installed you should have boot able clone of your current install which you select during boot to get too.

Whether you know it or not you are using non-Apple .kext on the system they are usually installed into the /Extra directory. Google tells me that machine is a laptop which you say here the install you now have on it works here is what I suggest to get that install onto the external. First get a stand alone installer of Chameleon there is one here on the site once you have that boot the machine so you are running OS X. Now when there open the diskutil.app it is in the Applications -> Utilities folder choose your external disk from the list partition/format OS X Journaled (name your install partition different than current when formatting) how you want it with the GUID as it seems you have already done. Then choose the Restore option using your already in place install as the Source your partition where you want OS X on as Destination un-check the Erase first then Apply the restore. Once this completes open the Chameleon installer choosing the external drive as the the Install Destination when it has installed you should have boot able clone of your current install which you select during boot to get too.

Ok i have the iatkos s3 disk when i choose utilities i do see a chameleon install option

Ok i have the iatkos s3 disk when i choose utilities i do see a chameleon install option

Okay once you clone to the external use that option to make it bootable the Restore function in OS X does not copy that part of an install it does all the rest like the /Extra directory though.

Okay once you clone to the external use that option to make it bootable the Restore function in OS X does not copy that part of an install it does all the rest like the /Extra directory though.

ok so i format the external then i do restore and restore the disk to the external? and install from the External ?

ok so i format the external then i do restore and restore the disk to the external? and install from the External ?

I am not sure what you are asking there let us start again here. Firstly is the OS X already on the laptop? If so then you boot the laptop running OS X then restore that operating system to the external drive and then install the Chameleon onto external so it is bootable.

I am not sure what you are asking there let us start again here. Firstly is the OS X already on the laptop? If so then you boot the laptop running OS X then restore that operating system to the external drive and then install the Chameleon onto external so it is bootable.

oh no its not installed on my labtop....do i need to is or is there an alternative way?

no

Damn I was thinking it was already on the machine never installed on a laptop before so don't know how much help I can be with that, did find this guide with a quick Google search.

http://www.r2x2.com/users/lsb/weblog/1b8db/

http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy&a...amp;btnG=Search

The guide being for a retail install on that D series of laptops so it does look like it is possible get OS X on that machine. Now if you want to not install to the internal hard drive you can choose to tell the retail disk to install to the external drive putting the fixes needed onto the external so it will boot OS X does not care where it boots from so you can do that.

Damn I was thinking it was already on the machine never installed on a laptop before so don't know how much help I can be with that, did find this guide with a quick Google search.

http://www.r2x2.com/users/lsb/weblog/1b8db/

http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy&a...amp;btnG=Search

The guide being for a retail install on that D series of laptops so it does look like it is possible get OS X on that machine. Now if you want to not install to the internal hard drive you can choose to tell the retail disk to install to the external drive putting the fixes needed onto the external so it will boot OS X does not care where it boots from so you can do that.

ok so where do i download the book loader to run the retail?

ok so where do i download the book loader to run the retail?

The link is at the bottom of the page right before the Comments on the article start. You take that .iso image and use the burn as image option in your burning program to have the bootable cd/dvd needed before you put in the retail install disk.

The link is at the bottom of the page right before the Comments on the article start. You take that .iso image and use the burn as image option in your burning program to have the bootable cd/dvd needed before you put in the retail install disk.

ok but when i install retail would it pick up like any wifi ethernet etc?