Why does SL works without DSDT on P5Q deluxe ?

neo_mat

6 posts in this topic

Hello, I used Modified Bios 2001 (Juzzy mod) for installing Snow Leopard on my P5Q deluxe.

All is OK.

I want the lastest BIOS and I have seen some post about DSDT.

I flashed with the lastest official ASUS BIOS (2301) and Snow Leopard work without any problem !

I don't use any DSDT or any modified bios.

Can someone can explain me why don't I need to make a DSDT because I use a official BIOS.

Thanks

Sorry for my bad english, french is my native language. ;)

Because you're using Chameleon 2.0 RC5?

Hello, thanks for you reply, I use Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684...

I remember that it were difficult to boot without modded bios and juzzy remove "alias" from bios 2001 for working with SL.

Did asus remove "alias" in the lastest release ? Appart boot and graphic injection, did Chameleon-2.0-RC4-r684 make something particular ?

Thanks for explain, I just want to understand ;-)

Did asus remove "alias" in the lastest release ?

I doubt it - but you can easily check that by looking at the Processor Scope code in the DSDT extracted from your new BIOS. It's located at the very beginning, you can't miss it.

I've been using the original Processor Scope code since installing Chameleon 2.0 RC5, but I did that while running 10.6.4.

I can boot my retail 10.6.3 DVD with my own Chameleon 2.0 RC5 boot CD, using the DSDT with unmodified Processor Scope.

I have not tried earlier versions of Snow Leopard, or Leopard.

This is on a P5Q-E.

I believe that for almost all the DSDT patches we use there is an alternative way (like kext, EFI strings, bootloader options etc..) to have the same result.

As Gringo V. already suggested, you can try to compare your actual dsdt with the older one yu where using

1 Extract your actual dsdt on desktop:

perl -e 'open(CMD, "ioreg -lw0 \| grep DSDT|") or die; while(<CMD>) { chomp; if($_ =~ /\"DSDT\.?\d?\"=<([^>]*)>/) { $buff = $1; open(PIP, "|xxd -r -p > ~/Desktop/dsdt.aml") or die; print PIP "$1"; } }'

2 Use IaslMe to make it a .dsl (drop your extracted dsdt.aml on the IaslMe icon)

3 Make the same for the older dsdt.aml

Then, if you have the developer tools installed, with FileMerge you can check the differences within the 2 dsdt.dsl

either you will need to use the command diff from terminal like this:

diff PATH/OF/FIRST/DSDT.DSL PATH/OF/SECOND/DSDT.DSL

Hello,

I extrated my new DSDT BIOS with "DSDT editor", it's more easy -:)

Scope (_PR)
 Scope (_PR)
{
	Processor (P001, 0x01, 0x00000810, 0x06)
	{
	}
	Alias (P001, CPU1)
	Processor (P002, 0x02, 0x00000000, 0x00)
	{
	}
	Alias (P002, CPU2)
	Processor (P003, 0x03, 0x00000000, 0x00)
	{
	}
	Alias (P003, CPU3)
	Processor (P004, 0x04, 0x00000000, 0x00)
	{
	}
	Alias (P004, CPU4)
}

I cannot extract my old DSDT bios because I don't want to downgrade my BIOS but I know that juzzy mod removed alias from BIOS 2001 in order to boot properly SL install.

I don't see any différence at boot or performance between moded BIOS with modified Processor Scope and official BIOS with unmodified Processor scropt.

Probably you are right, kext permit to boot.

I don't try to boot older release of SL (I lost my DVD :) )

thanks