Toshiba a665 problems

NeoPhoneix

10 posts in this topic

Greetings All

i have been trying to install SL on my toshiba but am having a hard time even though i have been browsing and searching this forum for 2 weeks now....

distro: iatkos v2 s3

main problem: cannot get my i7 740qm to work correctly

methods tried so far:

1-different kernels: retail, qoopz 10.5 and 10.3 vanillia 10.5

2- with and without dsdt (patched and fixed or without fixing)

3- updates (with 10.6.5 and without)

4- different bootloaders (chameleon 4c,5c 4c final)

5- with boot flags (cpus=8, arch=84_64, busratio=13 "the ratio of my processor")

where did i get so far: able to boot fine with cores disabled, whoever when i enable the cores the best that i get is slow unresponsive system with hanging mouse and keyboard

some thoughts:

1- is it related to this i7 being quad core (4 real 4 virtual)

2- motherboard problem??

3- tsc related (with qoopz 10.5 and 10.3 i started seeing tsc sync errors)

4- plain stupidity

i dont know and i appreciate any help possible

with kind regards

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the same page as you, the only way to have a responsive system is with the flag cpus=1 busratio=12 (by the way the busratio is 12 not 13). I think the problem lies in the motherboard's bios..as I understand it is using some sort of UEFI and it is preventing SL to use or sync the processor properly. Other laptops like some Dells have the smae processor and have been able to boot fine with the mod kernels.

BTW Were you able to boot with chameleon? I was never able to do it. I have to boot windows first.

Well I have mine up and running Sl 10.6.5 with vanilla install using NAWCOM 3.1 boot disk. I did remove the Mini-wifi card for use of a USB WIFI do to compatiability issues. Everything works well except like you the TSC sync error. At this point, the best I can get "regularly"(reasds 100%) is CPUS=4 which gives 2 cores 4 threads(per GeekBench with a score in the 5K range). I have been able to get CPUS=5 about 40% of the time and CPUS=6 about 10% of the time without KP. I use "VoodooTscSync.kext" in E/E which can be found at their web site. I've been reading up on the Dell issue and will attempt to implement some of there fixes and see where I get. I'd really like to see 4core 8threads out of this laptop as nice as it is. With everything else working, its a great Hack!

Cobra03

To Sebtor:

Yes I can boot with Chameleon however the installer would not work. I had to do a manual install then all was fine. I am currently using RC5 R693

• 3 months later...
Well I have mine up and running Sl 10.6.5 with vanilla install using NAWCOM 3.1 boot disk. I did remove the Mini-wifi card for use of a USB WIFI do to compatiability issues. Everything works well except like you the TSC sync error. At this point, the best I can get "regularly"(reasds 100%) is CPUS=4 which gives 2 cores 4 threads(per GeekBench with a score in the 5K range). I have been able to get CPUS=5 about 40% of the time and CPUS=6 about 10% of the time without KP. I use "VoodooTscSync.kext" in E/E which can be found at their web site. I've been reading up on the Dell issue and will attempt to implement some of there fixes and see where I get. I'd really like to see 4core 8threads out of this laptop as nice as it is. With everything else working, its a great Hack!

Cobra03

To Sebtor:

Yes I can boot with Chameleon however the installer would not work. I had to do a manual install then all was fine. I am currently using RC5 R693

I have a a665-s6094 toshiba laptop whit i7 740qm I've just installed Snow Leopard 10.6 using Nawcom CD, I was wondering how to get drivers working, sound, video and perhaps wifi. I've noticed Ethernet works fine out of the box. Also how to boot from hard drive once Mac OS X is installed, right now I'm only able to boot using Nawcom's CD.

I'm new to hackintosh, so please excuse me if my questions are too naive... Thanks in advance for your help

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello everyone!

I was having all the same issues as you guys. After spent some time trying to fix this without success I ve tried to talk to cosmo1t, VoodooTSCSync developer, who immediately agreed to help. After some tests he send a new version to me and the good news are: it`s working! All cores, no KPs! Pretty good, right?

For i7 740QM just use IOCPUNumber value of 7 on Info.plist inside your kexts and its done. There is no need to use any busratio or cpus flags on boot, so if you have it in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist just get rid of it.

Screenshot:

capturadetela20120304s2.png

And here download link:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,794.msg3452.html#msg3452

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have a Toshiba A665-S6070 that I am trying to install SL (10.6.6 retail) on.

Corei7-720QM CPU, 4GB DDR3 mem, NVIDIA GeForce 310M 512MB GDDR3 discrete memory, 640GB SATA HDD, DVD-SuperMulti (+/-R double layer), 16.0" widescreen HD TruBrite® LED Backlit display 1366x768 (HD), Built-in microphone, Headphone jack (stereo), Microphone jack (mono), Webcam and microphone, Wi-Fi® Wireless networking (802.11b/g/n)

I got into the process with following a guide on another site;

Step 1. Boot eye-Boot legacy once it is loaded swap the CD out with SL DVD.

Step 2. Press F5 (I also added the boot option -x to boot into safe mode)

Step 3. OS X installer started and I deleted the windows install on the drive and set it up to be a MAC drive (Naming it SnowLeopard per tutorial)

Step 4. Wait and watch;

System crashed with the following error(s) See attached screen shots. cant attach :-)

OK I restarted the install and got al lthe way through it this time.

Then rebooted from ###### and tried to start the SL insallation and it just hangs on the light blue post OS screen. Any ideas?

• 11 months later...

Hello everyone!

I was having all the same issues as you guys. After spent some time trying to fix this without success I ve tried to talk to cosmo1t, VoodooTSCSync developer, who immediately agreed to help. After some tests he send a new version to me and the good news are: it`s working! All cores, no KPs! Pretty good, right?

For i7 740QM just use IOCPUNumber value of 7 on Info.plist inside your kexts and its done. There is no need to use any busratio or cpus flags on boot, so if you have it in your org.chameleon.Boot.plist just get rid of it.

Screenshot:

capturadetela20120304s2.png

And here download link:

http://forum.voodooprojects.org/index.php/topic,794.msg3452.html#msg3452

Thank you very much. :D